GameCube Controller on New Wii and Wii U SOLVED

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by LightyKD, Sep 29, 2011.

Sep 29, 2011
  1. LightyKD
    OP

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    THIS is what I have been trying to advocate for a while...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m10zKB_ISHs&feature=related[/youtube]

They're roughly 25 dollars on Amazon but this controller will solve a lot of problems for people wanting to play Smash Bros Brawl on the soon to be released Wii models and the Wii U

Amazon Link:

http://www.amazon.com/Gigaware-Wireless-Co...r/dp/B004E9JOXM

Too bad I cant find a cheaper Chinese alternative (GameCube controller with Classic Controller connection). Considering that I can buy GameCube controllers at Five Below for five dollars, one would guess that an alternative could be be sold for no more than 15 dollars.

2. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

If you're only going to use it as a substitute for a classic controller... why not buy a classic controller in the first place since they're cheaper?

3. chaosdarkneo

Member chaosdarkneo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    There are Gamecube games... that only play with the Gamesube controller. Plus, a Gamecube controller has a better build than a classic controller in my opinion.

4. gamefan5

Member gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Canada
    You do know that the new wii isn't going to be backwards compatible with GCN games, right?

5. donaldgx

Member donaldgx GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This is perfect for me, i don't like the location of the left analog stick on the classic controller.

1 person likes this.
  6. DroRox

Member DroRox Ambassador of Ooo

United States
    Wait if the new Wii has no GC controller slots then why the hell would it be able to play GC games. And the Wii U won't have backwards compatibility either so.... what's the point in this again?

7. donaldgx

Member donaldgx GBAtemp Regular

United States
    :|

when connected on the wiimote it acts as a classic controller ..............

8. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    your assuming it will just work straight away on the wii u? no one knows what will work yet until it's out. so i wouldn't get too hyped up yet.

9. Category

Member Category Trainee Romhacker

United Kingdom
    Since the Wii U uses normal wiimotes, and pays Wii games, I doubt they would drop support for the classic controller. Like some others here, I find the gamecube controller much comfier than the classic controller, so this could be handy.

10. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye D:

Norway
    It looks similar to the official controller, but don't expect it to be even close to being as good to use, or as high quality. What would be perfect is a GC to Classic Controller adapter, so you could plug in your official controllers, WaveBirds, etc. The other way around would be good too - allowing classic controllers to be used in GC games.

11. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

I would suspect that dios-mios lite would work, though you wouldn't be able to save unless someone modified it to redirect saved games to the front SD as well (which is possible but would take almost as much work as creating it in the first place).

12. LightyKD
    OP

United States
    A) The WiiU is compatible with ALL Wii accessories. When this controller is connected to a Wii Remote (it had 2 connections) it acts as a Classic Controller.

B) While the new Wii systems might not have GameCube backwards compatibility you can still play Brawl and other GC controller compatible games on that Wii so for people who like the GameCube controller over the Classic, this is great.

C) NOBODY said that the WiiU will not have GC support. Why do you think Nintendo is nixing Gamecube ports on these newer Wii consoles. Obviously they want to re-sale GameCube games in digital format on the WiiU.

13. Category

Member Category Trainee Romhacker

United Kingdom
    Yes, they have said that.

Adding GC to the virtual console also sounds like quite a jump, which although possible I find highly unlikely.

14. Ergo

Member Ergo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I think it's a given that Cube games will be on the VC. I mean, it would actually be foolish to not do it since it'd be leaving money on the table. (After all, however the U handles Wii support--be it via hardware or straight emulation--you pretty much get GC support for 'free' in the deal)

15. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    In addition to being a wireless controller that works on a GC, Wii, or WiiU, it also appears to be the same size and shape of the official controllers! I ****ing HATE the smaller/bigger 3rd part controllers, especially when they change the button layout!

And for those of you saying this is useless for the newer Wii models and WiiU:

1) Wii games that use Classic Controller, e.g. Mario Kart Wii or Super Smash Bros Brawl
    2) Wii Virtual Console controller, if you find you don't like the Classic Controller for N64 or SNES games
    3) WiiU Virtual Console controller. Remember how Ninty said that there will be GC games on the VC? Exactly.

EDIT:
    Not possible. The official Gamecube controllers were wired, meaning they were not designed with low power consumption in mind. The Wii Remote is not able to provide enough power to the controller. And not just battery capacity, either; The flow of electricity through the port won't be fast enough.

16. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    To be honest, Id rather have an adapter that plugs into the wiimote in which you can plug a real GC controller in.

The power can be solved with some extra batteries in the adapter.

17. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye D:

Norway
    That's what I said. [​IMG]
    Are there any power issues though? It's just a simple controller, it can't possibly use a lot of power. I suppose the vibration might not work without batteries, but that's not a huge issue anyway. Not worth having a big clunky adapter for.

18. 10_0ARMY

Member 10_0ARMY THE *Original* 1 Man Army

United States
    I guess to get to an actual neat design there has to be a bulky design that does the deed. I've been playing Wii since it came out and I basically no longer use a Gamecube controller on Wii games that support it (except for SSBB ). The CCP to me is more comfy than the GameCube controller since it has handles. I hope they either reduce the size of that adapter or just make the CCP compatable with all the content. With gamecube games though, you'd still need the adapter since, after all, Gamecube games use a GameCube controller. I like this idea, but make it less bulky and cheaper. [​IMG]

19. chaosdarkneo

Member chaosdarkneo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The new Wii doesn't support Gamecube games.

So this is pointless. Classic Controller >>>> This.

20. LightyKD
    OP

United States

SMH Some of us DO NOT like the PS2 setup of the Classic Controller