MunteanuIoanPaul

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Hello everyone,
Before getting to the actual subject,I'd like to introduce a little about my gaming experience. :)
About 5 years ago,I started handheld gaming.After playing a little bit of Naruto 1 on a PSP,I managed to buy one pretty cheap. :yaypsp:I really enjoyed playing on it,the graphics are amazing...I think you've heard a lot about it anyway.I still have it,although I rarely play it.
Then,2 years ago,I discovered Pokemon.And I strongely believed it was the best game ever.It was the first RPG I have ever played,and it was amazing.It was Pokemon Diamond,I think.I really wanted to buy a DS with a Pokemon version.A few months later,I saw a friend playing a Pokemon Ruby version on what it appeared to be a GameBoy Advance.So I did a little research and I found out everything about the amazing GameBoy line.
A few months ago,I managed to get that GBA for 10 bucks. :gba:Along with it came the game 'Shaman King 2:MoS',which again really impressed me.I love the game,and I love my GBA,as it is in a really good condition.But after the PSP,it's a bit weird the fact that it doesn't have a lit screen of any kind(yes,the GBA is the original version).On the other hand,I find it more comfortable than the PSP.It's also weird that it needs batteries,but I got used to it.
So,in the race for a lit screen,I found the GBA SP.Although both versions have a lit screen,it seems really uncomfortable.Besides,I hear a lot of complaints about your fingers getting tangled up and all.So,I found the GameBoy Micro.And it amazed me.It's so small and portable,and it is the sexiest handheld device I have EVER seen :wub:.Also,it seems to keep the original GBA design,so that again I consider it to be appealing.I'm only a bit scared about the size of the screen-and of course my eyes getting damaged and all.On the other hand,I find it pretty cheap considering that it isn't produced anymore.
So,here are my questions:
1. Considering that if I'll buy it I'll buy a flash cart(as I only have one game),is EZ-Flash IV a good idea?(I know that it doesn't support RTC,but I heard there are patches for most of the games)
2.Should I buy a GameBoy Micro?Honestly it's really appealing,but I really want to hear the pros and cons,and a final opinion.
3.If I buy it,do you think that I should buy some accessories now?
If you have any other opinions on the GBM,then please write them down.
And I hope I wasn't too impolite,as it's my first topic on this awesome website :D.
Thanks a lot for helping me out with this little problem :blink:.
:yay:

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone,
Before getting to the actual subject,I'd like to introduce a little about my gaming experience. :)
About 5 years ago,I started handheld gaming.After playing a little bit of Naruto 1 on a PSP,I managed to buy one pretty cheap. :yaypsp:I really enjoyed playing on it,the graphics are amazing...I think you've heard a lot about it anyway.I still have it,although I rarely play it.
Then,2 years ago,I discovered Pokemon.And I strongely believed it was the best game ever.It was the first RPG I have ever played,and it was amazing.It was Pokemon Diamond,I think.I really wanted to buy a DS with a Pokemon version.A few months later,I saw a friend playing a Pokemon Ruby version on what it appeared to be a GameBoy Advance.So I did a little research and I found out everything about the amazing GameBoy line.
A few months ago,I managed to get that GBA for 10 bucks. :gba:Along with it came the game 'Shaman King 2:MoS',which again really impressed me.I love the game,and I love my GBA,as it is in a really good condition.But after the PSP,it's a bit weird the fact that it doesn't have a lit screen of any kind(yes,the GBA is the original version).On the other hand,I find it more comfortable than the PSP.It's also weird that it needs batteries,but I got used to it.
So,in the race for a lit screen,I found the GBA SP.Although both versions have a lit screen,it seems really uncomfortable.Besides,I hear a lot of complaints about your fingers getting tangled up and all.So,I found the GameBoy Micro.And it amazed me.It's so small and portable,and it is the sexiest handheld device I have EVER seen :wub:.Also,it seems to keep the original GBA design,so that again I consider it to be appealing.I'm only a bit scared about the size of the screen-and of course my eyes getting damaged and all.On the other hand,I find it pretty cheap considering that it isn't produced anymore.
1. Considering that if I'll buy it I'll buy a flash cart(as I only have one game),is EZ-Flash IV a good idea?(I know that it doesn't support RTC,but I heard there are patches for most of the games)
2.Should I buy a GameBoy Micro?Honestly it's really appealing,but I really want to hear the pros and cons,and a final opinion.
And I hope I wasn't too impolite,as it's my first topic on this awesome website :D.
Those statements make me feel so god damn old.

As for GBA SP/GBM The GBM, arguably, is harder to find than a GBA SP. I used to play a GBA SP all the time and I never found it uncomfortable for me, so...to each his own I suppose.

I would suggest having better grammar and...more spaces, your topic looks like it came from a 5 year old (no offense)

The Masked Man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Micro is definately much harder to find than an SP, unless you buy it from an online retailer, maybe.
I'm not too sure about the specs of the Micro. On default settings, you get around 8 hours of gameplay, and 5 hours with max brightness.
Not sure about EZ Flash IV.
Not sure either about accessories. There are faceplates. Carrying pouches. That's about it I believe.
Good luck on your search.

Now, if I had the chance before...
4902370513622.jpg

Alas, I believe I can never find it.

Reactions: 2 people

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
No cart on the market at the moment supports RTC. You can get patches to move the Ruby and Sapphire clock, though, so it's cool. The EZFIV is the best cart available and there are not any more being made, so they've slowly climbed in price the past two year. Buy one now before it's too late; a full RTC cart (Like the M3 Perfect and EZ Flash III) command outrageous prices in comparison (twice as much or higher).

@Sean: I HAD the MOTHER 3 Micro, had to sell it to make ends meet, but GAWD... IT IS FUCKING GLORIOUS! ;O;

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
@[member='sean']: I HAD the MOTHER 3 Micro, had to sell it to make ends meet, but GAWD... IT IS FUCKING GLORIOUS! ;O;
I envy the person who bought it from you.
How much did you sell it for?
Ebay has it for $600...

Ebay BIN is stupid, they actually go for 250-300 dollars. You MAY be looking at a sealed one?

I sold it for 300 sans the Franklin Badge (I couldn't part with it) and I threw in MOTHER 1+2. I got Earthbound, the guide, MOTHER 1+2, a Paula Keychain, and the MOTHER 3 Deluxe Box for 350. I came out on top in the end. Still miss it though. ;O;

EDIT: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=mother+3+deluxe+box&_frs=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m359

Yep, these are both Brand new ones. used ones go for half as much, I haven't ever seen a new one sell for more than 350.

The Masked Man

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@[member='sean']: I HAD the MOTHER 3 Micro, had to sell it to make ends meet, but GAWD... IT IS FUCKING GLORIOUS! ;O;
I envy the person who bought it from you.
How much did you sell it for?
Ebay has it for $600...

Ebay BIN is stupid, they actually go for 250-300 dollars. You MAY be looking at a sealed one?

I sold it for 300 sans the Franklin Badge (I couldn't part with it) and I threw in MOTHER 1+2. I got Earthbound, the guide, MOTHER 1+2, a Paula Keychain, and the MOTHER 3 Deluxe Box for 350. I came out on top in the end. Still miss it though. ;O;

EDIT: http://www.ebay.com/...d=p3286.c0.m359

Yep, these are both Brand new ones. used ones go for half as much, I haven't ever seen a new one sell for more than 350.
Indeed, those are the ones.
Although, I doubt used ones will have the Franklin Badge.
Oh well.
C'est la vie.
Wish there was a Kumatora keychain. :ha:

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Greetings, this is a timely topic for me. I have a 3ds, DSI & an Xl and yet I play a great deal on my Micro. Recently the shoulder button ® went bum. N wanted 55. USD for repair and 10 usd for shipping I said no. I went to Ebay and got ahold of a really mint condition GB Micro (black) for $55.00 USD and sold my one with broken shoulder (I told them the shoulder button was broken when I sold it BTW) People buy them for parts or a great deal on pick up. I got 35.USD for it plus shipping.
SO to get a repaired unit with good shoulder button only cost me about $25.00
I am very happy. once again.

I really like my micro and there are places I can take that where the DS would not be allowed or appropriate (in court for instance, certain state buldings and so forth.

ANYWAY, I can't speak to the cart issue but I can say that most games for it are less than a ten spot for the real deal these days. With the exception of the Pokemon which I got the Sapphitre FREE when getting my new Micro with it...
I have six I play regularly Advance Wars 1 &2, FE 1 &2, Golden Sun 1 &2 and a few FF ones. There is more than enough content with those not to need another game for a while but there are many readiloy available/ If going by Ebay, let the seller rating steer your judgement. It's not perfect but I have yet to go wrong by it. Watch for a few weeks you should be able to land a good one under $60. free shipping in really nice condition. Most out there tend to be well kept.

I enjoy mine enough that it was worth foregoing a 3ds game this month in order to get that one up to par for transport play. I kept my old face platew wihich I protect the screen with the faceplace covered in clear packing tape, works well, and really cheap. It has a wrist strap for single hand use for those days I want to talk on a phone with one hand and game with the other... I love the shape and feel far better than any of the GBA SPs' and it does not hurt my (personally) eyes at all. I have one rubber rubber case cover sold new on ebay) with the strap and keep it in my pocket.
The one I sold was in nearly new condition with the button exception and a deal fort he other guy.

They are not that expensive, what aI stated was average price. I would NOT bid on one on Ebay as thier sale sniper bots will just dash your hopes only seconds before the auction ending... just find a Buy it now that is acceptable to you and dive in head first.

Sorry, some one else will have to speak to the cart situation with that.

Hope this helps, sorry for the typos, I've got bad health and realllllllly tired at the moment..
GL

MunteanuIoanPaul

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Greetings, this is a timely topic for me. I have a 3ds, DSI & an Xl and yet I play a great deal on my Micro. Recently the shoulder button ® went bum. N wanted 55. USD for repair and 10 usd for shipping I said no. I went to Ebay and got ahold of a really mint condition GB Micro (black) for $55.00 USD and sold my one with broken shoulder (I told them the shoulder button was broken when I sold it BTW) People buy them for parts or a great deal on pick up. I got 35.USD for it plus shipping.
SO to get a repaired unit with good shoulder button only cost me about $25.00
I am very happy. once again.

I really like my micro and there are places I can take that where the DS would not be allowed or appropriate (in court for instance, certain state buldings and so forth.

ANYWAY, I can't speak to the cart issue but I can say that most games for it are less than a ten spot for the real deal these days. With the exception of the Pokemon which I got the Sapphitre FREE when getting my new Micro with it...
I have six I play regularly Advance Wars 1 &2, FE 1 &2, Golden Sun 1 &2 and a few FF ones. There is more than enough content with those not to need another game for a while but there are many readiloy available/ If going by Ebay, let the seller rating steer your judgement. It's not perfect but I have yet to go wrong by it. Watch for a few weeks you should be able to land a good one under $60. free shipping in really nice condition. Most out there tend to be well kept.

I enjoy mine enough that it was worth foregoing a 3ds game this month in order to get that one up to par for transport play. I kept my old face platew wihich I protect the screen with the faceplace covered in clear packing tape, works well, and really cheap. It has a wrist strap for single hand use for those days I want to talk on a phone with one hand and game with the other... I love the shape and feel far better than any of the GBA SPs' and it does not hurt my (personally) eyes at all. I have one rubber rubber case cover sold new on ebay) with the strap and keep it in my pocket.
The one I sold was in nearly new condition with the button exception and a deal fort he other guy.

They are not that expensive, what aI stated was average price. I would NOT bid on one on Ebay as thier sale sniper bots will just dash your hopes only seconds before the auction ending... just find a Buy it now that is acceptable to you and dive in head first.

Sorry, some one else will have to speak to the cart situation with that.

Hope this helps, sorry for the typos, I've got bad health and realllllllly tired at the moment..
GL

That was really helpful,thanks!Is there any color you would recommend?
And thank you guys,for such a fast response! :D

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The GBM screen is small. And it may strain your eyes a bit, especially if you're old like me. I never had cramping troubles with either the SP or GBM, although I have with my DSL.

The SP backlit has a better screen -- crisper, deeper colors. The purples look fabulous.

That said, the GBM is wonderful simply because it's so tiny. You will hardly be able to tell it's in your pocket.

You won't find any faceplates for it, though, unless you're extremely lucky. They're quite hard to come by. So make sure you get one with no scratches on the faceplate that comes with it, and take good care of it!!

As far as color recommendation goes -- choose condition over color! And make sure it has a pouch with it!

My recommendation -- buy both a backlit SP and a GBM. If you can only get one, go for the GBM. And get an EZ-Flash IV. Remember you also need a Mini SD for the EZF, which I don't believe is being manufactured anymore, but can be found on Amazon.

MunteanuIoanPaul

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
The GBM screen is small. And it may strain your eyes a bit, especially if you're old like me. I never had cramping troubles with either the SP or GBM, although I have with my DSL.

The SP backlit has a better screen -- crisper, deeper colors. The purples look fabulous.

That said, the GBM is wonderful simply because it's so tiny. You will hardly be able to tell it's in your pocket.

You won't find any faceplates for it, though, unless you're extremely lucky. They're quite hard to come by. So make sure you get one with no scratches on the faceplate that comes with it, and take good care of it!!

As far as color recommendation goes -- choose condition over color! And make sure it has a pouch with it!

My recommendation -- buy both a backlit SP and a GBM. If you can only get one, go for the GBM. And get an EZ-Flash IV. Remember you also need a Mini SD for the EZF, which I don't believe is being manufactured anymore, but can be found on Amazon.

Thanks for the recommendation,regnad. I was wondering: if i buy a microSD to miniSD adapter, would it work fine? I heard that,once the miniSD is in the cart, it is almost impossible to take it out.
Also, don't blame me, but I'd rather buy a new micro(if I can find one, of course :D) and I was wondering if silver would be fine. I'd like a new one because I'm not sure how much a used battery would resist.
And a final question: is Pokemon playable on the Micro? That means understanding the text and everything else.
All that being said, I'm waiting for a reply :).
Thanks.

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Many people who have used a micro SD in a mini SD adapter have experienced corrupted saves. It's up to you if you want to risk it, but I didn't want to. Again, mini SDs are to be had on Amazon.

I've never had any problem getting the SD card out.

Pokemon is absolutely playable. Everything is playable. The screen is small, but not to the point where you can't play any games. Presently I'm playing the Zelda Oracles using Goomba -- these are Gameboy Color games, which doesn't even use all of the screen. And still it's playable.

If you can find a new GBM, I'd say go for it. With a new one, you know the screen won't be scratched. Make sure to take care of it and keep it in the pouch!

I have a silver one. It looks really nice. Very classy little unit.

lordgoober

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting a GBA micro tomorrow myself that's MIP from a local guy off of craigslist. I've already talked to the guy and it's a dad clearing out old gaming stuff to pay for new things. So I no longer need to get frustrated with ebay snipers.

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depending on where you live you can still pick up micro faceplates, just to address the scratched screen issue.

Over here I called Nintendo and they wanted $5 + shipping for faceplates, they said they had every colour still in stock. This is probably because I never saw the thing advertised/sold over here, my first time seeing a GBM was on these forums actually.

Anyway they are really nice. I tried using my brothers SP after buying my GBM and I just found it to be uncomfortable and the image wasn't as clear

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Depending on where you live you can still pick up micro faceplates, just to address the scratched screen issue.

Over here I called Nintendo and they wanted $5 + shipping for faceplates, they said they had every colour still in stock. This is probably because I never saw the thing advertised/sold over here, my first time seeing a GBM was on these forums actually.

Anyway they are really nice. I tried using my brothers SP after buying my GBM and I just found it to be uncomfortable and the image wasn't as clear

I'm an American living in Tokyo. Both the Japanese and US Nintendo websites list GBM AC adapters as available, but not a word about faceplates. I've scoured the retro game stores in Akihabara for a couple of years. Never seen one for sale separate from an entire GBM.

I suspect your location (Australia?) may be unique in the world. :(

Wanna scoot one or two of those faceplates my way? I bet I could get you something here in Tokyo in exchange! :P

sunwinggeddragon

Trophies
XP
Country
Hello everyone,
I bought my gameboy micro with my first pay check last 2005 and after 3 battery replacements and a few bumps and scratches it still good as the first day I bought it. And I'm a hardcore handheld player, I play almost everyday and I think it will never give up on me unlike my old PSP and PSP go the two are resting in my handheld museum now cause the buttons are messed-up. I own a Blue GB SP also but the micro never leaves my backpak ever. I don't own an MP3 player so Micro plus the Nintendo MP3 player works for me. And I finally bought an EZ4 flashcart last year still tweeking with It.... Gameboy micro is my favorite handheld, If ever Nintendo release a micro sized Nds or 3DS thats when I will make my gb micro rest in peace.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: 3 hours on a riding lawn mower, my butt is numb and my whole body is still vibrating. Gonna be a...