1. DeMoN

DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Yeah the thing is, I think I pre-ordered quite late (March 5th).

Also, on the website it lists my store as a 9 AM opening launch, so I'm assuming there won't be a midnight launch at my store. Yet the store actually called me and invited me to come to the midnight launch. Who should I believe?

2. TwinRetro

TwinRetro Former Staff
    Former Staff

Djibouti
    You should go with the store's word. They usually break corporate statements quite often for this sort of thing.

3. DJ91990

DJ91990 Grookey Gang!

United States
    I'm not worried at all about this crap.

I work at my Local Sams club and I know for a fact that we get new shipments in electronics about every Tuesday or Thursday (or was that Wal-Mart? Hmm...). I walk past the Video Games Cage every day when I am on my way up to the break room to punch in. I'll know EXACTLY how many 3DSs we will have...one day when I have off in June...WHAM! I'm gonna grab that Blue 3DS with a Copy of Zelda OOT 3D.

If there is going to be a shortage, it would be a controlled one where stores or Nintendo are purposely under-producing to raise demand so that they can hike the prices. This BS often ends in a few months, after which the system drops in price at about $10-20. So $250 will = $230 or should I say $246.99 goes to $226.99 Gotta love those club prices! Don't take my word on the 246.99 price, I'm just guessing based on the prices of video game software. Something that costs 49.99 elsewhere is 49.96 at Wal-Mart and 46.99 at Sams.

I will tell you some other reasons why I am waiting till June;
    1) Zelda OOT 3D
    2) Starfox 3D
    *3) The friggin' 3DS shop will be active by then. (as it launches in May)
    4) The possibility of a $10-20 price drop as supply becomes greater than demand.
    **5) For product reviews.

*Nintendo has stated that the 3DS shop will not be active when the system launches in the United States and Europe. Instead the 3DS shop will become available via update in May. I think this is complete and total bulls***. Hey Nintendo! When Microsoft released their Xbox360 Xbox Live was available AT LAUNCH! Get your s*** straight Nintendo, you're already walking on thin ice!

**I also wanted to wait for product reviews because on Saturday, WHILE I WAS BUSTING MY *** PUSHING CARTS, my parents went down to Greensboro and walked into a Best Buy where there were 3DS demo stations. Both of them messed with it. My dad said that the top screen was smaller then the bottom screen (Take the image of the 3DS that GBATemp is using and flip the two screens, that's what it looked like.) and the fact that the 3D effect looked cheap, but when the 3D was turned OFF the graphics were sharp and looked nice. What's the point of buying a 3D system if it looks like crap!? I'm going to watch some unbiased reviews. That means Youtube people that didn't get paid! So no X-Play, IGN, 1-UP, or Gamefaqs!

I already have enough short-term savings to buy the system + Zelda, I'm just waiting it out till June FOR Zelda. (By then a 3DS flash card may be released! Who knows!?)

4. bigpaws

bigpaws Cat with da Big Paws!

United States
    mine says 9am and i have not gotten a call yet

they may not have a midnight at my store since there wont be many buyers

the only way the sell out for preorderers is if the managers sell your copy by mistake

but seeing as they dont sell to non preorderers until a day or 2 after, it sould not be a problem

5. Midna

Midna Banned
    Banned

Albania
    DJ91990, you're taking your dad's word on all this? I've played one myself, and I have no idea what you're talking about. 3D did not look crappy at all. Though when you turn off 3D, it does apply graphical enhancements and all. I know there was 2D AA in Street Fighter

Edit:
    I preordered mine and am No. 3. And that's because I haggled for 3 days with the manager over minimum downpayment. You're late.
    Anyway, I've asked the store manager at my EB Games. She says they priotitize the systems based on who's higher up on the list, not who payed in full. It might be different at your location though, so if you want to, go pay the rest.

6. Seraph

Seraph GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Well...Nintendo could have just pushed back the launch so no one would be able to get one...or they could have pushed it back all the way to the holiday season so shortages would be abundant. All for what? Some features that aren't necessary for the 3DS to play games but will still be released anyway...

And did your dad add in that part in parenthesis about the screens? Have you not looked at any screenshots or videos about the 3DS? Go look at one for yourself.

7. bigpaws

bigpaws Cat with da Big Paws!

United States
    I bet his dad also said everything was upside down

8. dgwillia

dgwillia The Bacon Lover

United States
    Fail, theres literally 1 Gamestop in a 100 mile radius doing midnight opening

9. DeMoN

DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I think they only do midnight releases if the store reaches a certain number of pre-orders.
    Again, my only concern is that they will have accidentally accepted too many pre-orders than they have stock, or they will sell to people who didn't pre-order.

10. omatic

omatic GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I tried out the 3DS for a few minutes, and the top screen is NOT smaller than the bottom screen. I'm not sure how you can make that mistake.

Also, 3D effect is spiffy. It's as if you're looking into a diorama, so it's not like the 3D in movie theaters where it looks as though the image is coming out at you. It's somewhat impressive, but I'm not quite ready to drop $250 on it. I've got other things to do and play at the moment, and there are no must-buys on the 3DS at launch. The only one might have been Street Fighter 4, but I already have it on PS3, and I don't even play it as much as I'd like to.

I know Nintendo is trying to get 3rd parties out in front with this launch schedule, but the lineup isn't inciting enough for a buy. If they'd had a Monter Hunter, Metal Gear, or Final Fantasy / Dragon Quest at launch, it'd be a different story.

11. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

United States
    You may have not seen it, but it does pop out 3D too.

12. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

I just pre-ordered a black 3DS today so Gamestop hasn't, uh, stopped.

13. InvaderGir2982

Newcomer

Yeah but this thread was originally talking about GAME stopping their pre-orders rather than pre-orders stoping in general

14. iMasaru

iMasaru GBATemp's™ Retired Cheats Compiler

United Kingdom
    Well, with only one more day to go before the release, it makes sense for the to stop the pre-orders.

15. L-Lawliet

L-Lawliet GBAtemp Regular

Preordered from game on sunday. They're opening at 7am on friday which is kind of annoying as I have school.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - prepping, orders,