Game prepping to stop pre-orders

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Skitty22, Mar 18, 2011.

Mar 18, 2011
  1. Skitty22
    OP

Newcomer Skitty22 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    had a chat with a game person today when i visited my local one to trade a game in and i wanted to pre-order a 3DS game (I now have the funds to do it yey) they told me they are ready for the biggest sales day of the year. but they also told me that from Tommrow they will stop new pre-orders for the 3DS as they now have there allocation numbers and from the sounds of it is likely to be just over 200 units per shop.

2. epicCreations.or

Member epicCreations.or GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This is usually just a store-by-store thing. It means that they have limited stock, and the number of preorders is nearing that limit.

3. Amiti

Member Amiti GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Two hundred per store? Wow. Pretty sure there's no need for 200 in my area. I heard only about 10 people preordered it.

4. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Do game stores ever over-preorder? I'm afraid of this (I pre-ordered from Gamestop).
    Also, are midnight releases literally at midnight? I seem to remember they start at 9 PM, since most kids can't stay up that late.
    Since I have a job, I tend not to stay up past midnight, but I don't want to miss out on my pre-order if I don't go to the midnight release.

5. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Game stores, as far as I know, cannot over preorder. I sure there is a register that lists all available 3DS's that will be shipped to that specific store. Once they reach the limit, preorders stop.

Midnight releases ARE at midnight, but the term "midnight" is really thrown around. It can mean even 10 pm (It happened to me once, and I was SO PISSED) and as late as 1:30 am.

Your pre-order is also not going to be ignored. If you have fully payed off your pre-order, you can be sure that your console will NEVER be sold. If you payed the minimum, you only have to worry if all the 3DSs are spoken for. Then they might start selling pre-ordered systems.

6. Xuphor

Banned Xuphor I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.

United States
    Yes, they can actually. Ask almost any Gamestop about the pre-order mess that was the Wii launch. A ton of people pre-ordered the system, and they didn't get in nearly enough for all the pre-orders.

7. dgwillia

Member dgwillia The Bacon Lover

United States
    Your best bet would be there before they open. (Which unless yours is having a midnight release, is 9 AM), and just hope they dont go by pre-order number (Which isnt likely, but possible depending on your Gamestop).

I know most of the employee's here fairly well (Worked there during the holidays), and the manager told me that even if you were the first person to reserve, if you arent there and they run out of consoles, it might be sold to another pre-orderer.

Planning to go there at 8:30 myself, even though the manager said he had me covered.

Though if you can, pay it off. I seriously doubt they would sell a paid off console as quickly as one that isnt.

8. Xuphor

United States
    Interesting, I was told by the manager at a Gamesotp near me that they will striclty go by the list, and if you are number 100, and they get in 100 3DS's, you will get it. He said they will hold all 3DS pre-orders for a week in the order they were pre-ordered.

I guess this means that it's not a GameStop global decision, it's a store-to-store decision by the manager themself.

Call your Gamestop folks! Make sure you know which category you fall under.

9. dgwillia

Member dgwillia The Bacon Lover

United States
    Pretty much i'd assume. (Or maybe if you live in bigger cities or something where they get tons of pre-orders per store).

Even at the Wii launch, i didnt reserve mine until about 20 days before release, showed up first in line, and left with one. (Despite there being about 60 people there, and some of them not even getting one)

10. Smogen

Newcomer Smogen Advanced Member

United States
    Yeah that happened at my gamestop for the Wii launch. They ended up only giving Wiis to the people that paid in full before the launch. This is why I went and paid off my entire order last week when I got paid.

11. princefarzan

Member princefarzan GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    When I went to go payoff my 3DS at my EB Games store they told me that they would not have any walk in buys and that everyone that pre-ordered would get there copy on the day of release meaning they would only have enough for the people that pre-ordered and they also told me that they recently stopped taking pre-orders.

12. bigpaws

Member bigpaws Cat with da Big Paws!

United States
    sure hope they learned
    i cant get mine payed off since im not paying for it

i preorderd at a place within a mile from a mall gamestop which also is next to target
    there shold not be many there right?

13. Xuphor

United States
    The Target I just went to today had about 20 pre-order cards left.

14. bigpaws

United States
    how many do you think they had at the start?

15. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Most stores seem to be getting an average of around 80~ pre-orders, although this number can vary greatly.

16. ByteMunch

Member ByteMunch GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I perordered mine, and am No. 14, BUT I only paid the minimum so far. Should I pay the rest A.S.A.P?

17. Xuphor

United States
    Yes, definately.

18. bigpaws

United States
    I hope i can get there early
    aka i hope my parents will drive me there early
    i cant pay it off since i aint paying for it myself

am i not going to get one launch day?

19. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    I think Gamestop stopped pre-orders altogether. If you go to their site and try, it will say "Not Available for In-store pickup."

Of course, I'm still worried they will run out (I don't trust these idiots at my Gamestop to manage anything properly), so I guess going to the midnight release is my only option.

Also:
    http://www.gamestop.com/gs/landing/events/3dsmid/

So the store opens at 10 PM but they cannot sell until it's past midnight. What a load of crap.

20. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States

From my experience from working at GS, unlike games, System pre-orders determine how many units they get. With games, they get a set number of games and pre-orders almost NEVER exceed the amount they get.

That's why the pre-order cut off date is so soon, because they need to submit these numbers to Nintendo.