Gaming Game cartridges no longer work

SilverDen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I had the same issue. I had to update not only atmosphere but also HOS to 11.0.1, on sysNAND that is. Maybe it is that easy for you as well?

E30Nova

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I had the same issue. I had to update not only atmosphere but also HOS to 11.0.1, on sysNAND that is. Maybe it is that easy for you as well?

How would I do that? I already updated the switch to 11.0.1, is that not the same thing?

Thanks for the help so far, guys. I know it takes me forever to update this thread, but I appreciate you guys still helping.

SilverDen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How would I do that? I already updated the switch to 11.0.1, is that not the same thing?

Thanks for the help so far, guys. I know it takes me forever to update this thread, but I appreciate you guys still helping.
Yeah, basically just do not boot into custom firmware but into the regular switch OS (you can do that from within hekate if you choose the "stock" option) and in there update the switch to 11.0.1 again.

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Backup your saves and such. Hell, backup your whole sysnand even.

Turn your Switch completely off.

Hold Vol+ and Vol- at the same time, while pressing (and releasing) the power button. CONTINUE to hold Vol+ and Vol- until the recovery menu comes up.

Install firmware update over the internet.

If there is no actual hardware issue, this should fix you up.

To the couple of posts above me: Once you've explicitly set nogc = 0 and autonogc = 0 in the .ini files (depends whether you're using fss0 or payload=fusee-primary), the fuses are no longer ignored or blocked from getting burned. To be absolutely sure, however, there is no harm in trying to boot without RCM.

OP: Speaking of... you aren't using a mod chip or autorcm, are you?

Last edited by urherenow,

E30Nova

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Boot without a CFW, blow the fuses... The firmware block fuse blowing.

I've tried that, even stock, no CFW, it won't play cartridges.

Yeah, basically just do not boot into custom firmware but into the regular switch OS (you can do that from within hekate if you choose the "stock" option) and in there update the switch to 11.0.1 again.

Haven't tried using Hekate to boot stock, so I'll try that, but so far just booting into stock OS doesn't load cartridges.

Backup your saves and such. Hell, backup your whole sysnand even.

Turn your Switch completely off.

Hold Vol+ and Vol- at the same time, while pressing (and releasing) the power button. CONTINUE to hold Vol+ and Vol- until the recovery menu comes up.

Install firmware update over the internet.

If there is no actual hardware issue, this should fix you up.

To the couple of posts above me: Once you've explicitly set nogc = 0 and autonogc = 0 in the .ini files (depends whether you're using fss0 or payload=fusee-primary), the fuses are no longer ignored or blocked from getting burned. To be absolutely sure, however, there is no harm in trying to boot without RCM.

OP: Speaking of... you aren't using a mod chip or autorcm, are you?

Tried that, I believe that's maintenance mode? There's no option to update firmware over the internet. The only option is update firmware, but it says I'm up to date. I can initialize the console, but I don't think that will do anything.

That's basically a last resort at this point, lol.

Oh, and nope, no modchip or autorcm. It's a launch console just using RCM.

Thanks! Didn't see that.

I'm going to try using Hekate to boot stock, and if that doesn't fix it, I'll update to 18.0.

E30Nova

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
-_-

Tried booting stock HOS, still won't load cartridges.

Tried booting Hekate 5.5.2, didn't see an option to boot stock.

Updated to 18.0, still won't load cartridges.

I'm honestly clueless why it just stopped reading cartridges.

At this point, I'm honestly willing to send the Switch to one of you guys to see if you can figure it out.

I literally have no idea what's wrong.

enderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm probably less knowledgeable than the others who've been helping, but my guess is it's something to do with fuses.. specifically, doesn't the cartridge slot have its own set of fuses? and if it's off from the fw the cartridge slot doesn't work? is there a way to check cart slot fuses?

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
-_-

Tried booting stock HOS, still won't load cartridges.

Tried booting Hekate 5.5.2, didn't see an option to boot stock.

Updated to 18.0, still won't load cartridges.

I'm honestly clueless why it just stopped reading cartridges.

At this point, I'm honestly willing to send the Switch to one of you guys to see if you can figure it out.

I literally have no idea what's wrong.

disconnect the switch from your network
Disable autorcm, or putting it in RCM
boot the system completely normally, with no cfw of any sort, this also includes hekate

then once that is down, reboot with atmosphere and the GC should work with the default config file

EDIT: For what it's worth, even booting hekate and choosing stock won't fix it, that's because hekate bypasses the fuse burning.

Booting without RCM and using nintendos boot loader is what causes the fuses to burn.

Last edited by Adran_Marit,
Reactions: SilverDen

E30Nova

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
disconnect the switch from your network
Disable autorcm, or putting it in RCM
boot the system completely normally, with no cfw of any sort, this also includes hekate

then once that is down, reboot with atmosphere and the GC should work with the default config file

EDIT: For what it's worth, even booting hekate and choosing stock won't fix it, that's because hekate bypasses the fuse burning.

Booting without RCM and using nintendos boot loader is what causes the fuses to burn.

So I cleared settings for the internet and deleted my wifi network.

Turned it off.

Booted it normally.

Tried to boot a game with no internet on stock firmware (you didn't say to do this, so that might have messed things up). Still wouldn't load.

Rebooted into atmosphere and it still says "unable to load cartridge."

:cry:

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So I cleared settings for the internet and deleted my wifi network.

Turned it off.

Booted it normally.

Tried to boot a game with no internet on stock firmware (you didn't say to do this, so that might have messed things up). Still wouldn't load.

Rebooted into atmosphere and it still says "unable to load cartridge."

:cry:

so you booted it with no rcm at all?

E30Nova

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
so you booted it with no rcm at all?

Yeah.

Turned off the switch completely, waited about 30 seconds and booted up completely stock.

With no internet, it tried to load the game and then said something about unavailable updates or something, and I chose "start software" and it still did the usual stuff where it acted like it was going to load and then gave me an error saying "unable to load game" and then booted me back to the home screen.

Even after doing that, and then booting into atmosphere 18 with no internet, it did the same thing.

Turning on the internet still did the same thing.

I'm literally at a loss. I have no clue wtf happened.

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yeah.

Turned off the switch completely, waited about 30 seconds and booted up completely stock.

With no internet, it tried to load the game and then said something about unavailable updates or something, and I chose "start software" and it still did the usual stuff where it acted like it was going to load and then gave me an error saying "unable to load game" and then booted me back to the home screen.

Even after doing that, and then booting into atmosphere 18 with no internet, it did the same thing.

Turning on the internet still did the same thing.

I'm literally at a loss. I have no clue wtf happened.

What version firmware did it say you were on in OFW?

E30Nova

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What version firmware did it say you were on in OFW?

Says 11.0.1.

I even tried updating and it says console is up to date.

I finally got a Samsung 512gb sd card and copied everything from my old sd card to the new one but it was saying all my downloaded games had to be redownloaded, so I couldn't try installing the cartridges.

Currently in the process of reformatting the card and trying again.

That seems like the only option at this point.

E30Nova

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Finally got the new sd card working properly.

I used Tinfoil to install the game, and took the cartridge out.

Plays just fine from the sd card.

Not sure what happened during all the updates, and it sucks that now the only way to play physical games is by installing them, but at least I can play them again.

Hopefully I'll get it fixed eventually. :/

Reactions: SilverDen

E30Nova

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So I went to browse Tinfoil for something, I forget why.

It wasn't working.

So I updated to 18.1 and Tinfoil worked again.

Then I put a different cartridge in to install it, and I figured, what the hell? I'll try to see if it plays normally.

All of a sudden, cartridges work again!

I'm not sure what happened between atmosphere 16.0 and 18.0, but 18.1 fixed my cartridge slot!

I'm never updating this thing again, lol.

In fact, is there a way to turn off the notification to update the system? Or just bypass it? Anything so my kids don't wreck it again.

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So I went to browse Tinfoil for something, I forget why.

It wasn't working.

So I updated to 18.1 and Tinfoil worked again.

Then I put a different cartridge in to install it, and I figured, what the hell? I'll try to see if it plays normally.

I'm not sure what happened between atmosphere 16.0 and 18.0, but 18.1 fixed my cartridge slot!

In fact, is there a way to turn off the notification to update the system? Or just bypass it? Anything so my kids don't wreck it again.

90dns/atmosphere dns blocking/incognito

or if you dont want to do those, booting the console in maintance mode wipes the updates

pcwizard7

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

I m not sure when the bug came in but v18 fix the game cart for some people

90dns DNS blocking or /incognito RCM. but you shouldn't really use incognito RCM on sysnand because u may lose your backup and its gone so if emunand if u don;t trust yourself

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.