Gaming Game cart file size

xile6

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far there not to big.
Im sure dragon quest is bigger since it holds two games. But it does show that a sd card is needed down the road for newer bigger games, if you go digital.
Also says the switch carts can hold alot.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 13.4 GB
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 7 GB
Snipperclips: Cut it Out, Together! - 1.60 GB
Disgaea 5 - 5.92 GB
Puyo Puyo Tetris - 1.09 GB
I Am Setsuna - 1.40 GB
Dragon Quest Heroes I·II - 32 GB
Nobunaga’s Ambition - 5 GB

http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/02/20/nintendo-switch-digital-game-sizes-revealed

Last edited by xile6,
Reactions: Prmtymethegamer

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can you imagine that tho, paying for a game thats just over 1gb which is equivalent or less than a game you get for free on mobile devices.

xile6

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ah a few 3ds games where like that. IF you check the file size they were very small and your paying $30-$40 for it.
Its always been hard to put a price on video games or even movies.
$20 for a hour long movie or the same $20 for a 3 hour movie.

D

Deleted User

I'm not even mad, I'm impressed that they are that size, alot of those are crazy small for what they are, Mario Kart 8 especially.

Dat Dragon Quest size though. Kinda surprised they didn't just make it so both games share resources, unless they did in which case I'm surprised at the massive size.

D

Deleted-379826

Dang this is super small. Why would it make someone upset? If anything it's a bonus for those digital downloaders! With 32gb you'll be able to get quite a few things and with an SD card, you'll get a ton!

Reactions: VinsCool

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
think is, if you find a game thats only 1GB then whats it say, its basically a shovelware app, very small, next to nothing going, basic engine very few levels.

xile6

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
think is, if you find a game thats only 1GB then whats it say, its basically a shovelware app, very small, next to nothing going, basic engine very few levels.
FF7 on the psone was 3 disc long but total size like something like 1.2gb
So your telling me if that game came to the switch it would be shovelware because its a small file size??

That makes no sense. Its not the size of the game but the game itself.

D

Deleted-379826

FF7 on the psone was 3 disc long but total size like something like 1.2gb
So your telling me if that game came to the switch it would be shovelware because its a small file size??

That makes no sense. Its not the size of the game but the game itself.
Very true and especially some awesome indies like Undertale, Shovel Knight and Shantae that are under a gigabyte.

Reactions: xile6

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess that means all SNES and Mega Drive titles are shovelware now. (All licensed MD games are 5 MB or less; all licensed SNES games are 6 MB or less.)

For more recent titles: The largest DS games are 512 MB. Most titles are 128 MB or less. Guess that makes them shovelware, too.

Last edited by GerbilSoft,

darkten

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

LOL...that's how they have been getting us since the introduction of the DVD-based games. People actually think filling up a disc with textures, music and cutscenes make *better games*...heheh.

Last edited by darkten, , Reason: emPHASis ;)
Reactions: Subtle Demise

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL...that's how they have been getting us since the introduction of the DVD-based games. People actually think filling up a disc with textures, music and cutscenes make *better games*...heheh.

I am not saying how your putting it, but think of it this way, if a game has few levels, few characters and basic engine then its bound to be small in size.

The bigger the game, the bigger its size, now if your paying £40-£60 which switch is priced for a game thats basically a few levels then wtf!

if this is going to be a console thats charging this price for basically mobile apps then its not good.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I guess that means all SNES and Mega Drive titles are shovelware now. (All licensed MD games are 5 MB or less; all licensed SNES games are 6 MB or less.)

For more recent titles: The largest DS games are 512 MB. Most titles are 128 MB or less. Guess that makes them shovelware, too.
no, because technology back then wasnt how it is now.

love nintendo fans, they so blinded by their love that they seem to spin a simple comment off course.

lets all just kindly remind ourself the failure for the wii u, and making a console thats going to have mobile apps priced at £40-£60 is out right stupid.

lets just see if this console can prove itself and be able to compete with todays competition.... reminding that this is actually nintendo's 2nd console during the same generation cycle, it best get its feet stuck firmly into the market or else it wont last come the launch of sony/ms's next consoles..... or will nintendo have to release yet again another system early because they failed to proved the hardware so it was a console to last, not a toy for a few years.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not saying how your putting it, but think of it this way, if a game has few levels, few characters and basic engine then its bound to be small in size.

The bigger the game, the bigger its size, now if your paying £40-£60 which switch is priced for a game thats basically a few levels then wtf!

if this is going to be a console thats charging this price for basically mobile apps then its not good.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

no, because technology back then wasnt how it is now.

love nintendo fans, they so blinded by their love that they seem to spin a simple comment off course.

lets all just kindly remind ourself the failure for the wii u, and making a console thats going to have mobile apps priced at £40-£60 is out right stupid.

lets just see if this console can prove itself and be able to compete with todays competition.... reminding that this is actually nintendo's 2nd console during the same generation cycle, it best get its feet stuck firmly into the market or else it wont last come the launch of sony/ms's next consoles..... or will nintendo have to release yet again another system early because they failed to proved the hardware so it was a console to last, not a toy for a few years.
You're missing a key factor though. Not every game is going to be 3D with super high definition models. Look at Shovel Knight, that's less than 500mb but Christ do you get a lot of content in there.

On a separate note, am I the only person hyped af for Nobunaga's Ambition!?

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I though they would all be like 3ds gamecart (8gb, 16gb, 32gb, 64gb)

yup already restricting devs/end users.....

i know media formats are rather cheap but if your to go above 8Gb it can be costly..... technology has improved alot but it is kinda like going back to the N64 again, for a home console it came with limitations which could repeat when comparing a switch card to a blue ray disc in what it can offer, quality and cost.

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
yup already restricting devs/end users.....

i know media formats are rather cheap but if your to go above 8Gb it can be costly..... technology has improved alot but it is kinda like going back to the N64 again, for a home console it came with limitations which could repeat when comparing a switch card to a blue ray disc in what it can offer, quality and cost.
i hope i misinterpreting it and you don't try to say a blue reay disc are better than flash cards.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.