Gal Gun 2 denied classification in Germany

galgun2-characters2.png

The lusty school-girl hunting rail "shooter" Gal Gun 2 has been denied age classification by the USK in Germany ultimately preventing its retail release in the country.

In the controversial sequel to the original 2015 Gal Gun: Double Peace (which was also banned in New Zealand but strangely not in Germany), you take the role of a Japanese school boy who becomes the unwavering object of attraction for swarms of daemon-possessed school-girls who you must fend off with your pheromone arrows, putting them in a state of dazed euphoria.

Published PQube commented on the ban:

PQube said:
Today we have received word that Gal*Gun 2 has been refused classification in Germany.

We’ll always try to get games through classification regardless of the possibility of it being denied, as we feel that everyone should have the right and the access to play the games they want to play. It is our opinion that disliking the content in a piece of entertainment or art, and voicing that dislike, is totally fine and even encouraged, but denying that work the right to exist in a market based on personal opinions and prejudices, is something we strongly disagree with.

Unfortunately our appeal against this decision has been unsuccessful. Given that Gal*Gun: Double Peace did receive classification in Germany, we’re doubly disappointed that we cannot bring the highly-anticipated title to our fans in Germany. However, we will have to accept and respect the decision of the USK.

Gal Gun 2 releases on PS4 and Switch on March 15th in Japan and April 27th in Europe and North America.

UPDATE: This discussion has garnered a lot of discussion regarding censorship in Germany and GBAtemp resident member @Uwabami has made a clear and consise post that looks to address some misinformation being thrown around. If you are interested in German censorship I recommend taking the time to read their post on the subject! Thanks @Uwabami !

:arrow: Uwabami's post on censorship in Germany
:arrow: Source

Last edited by shaunj66,

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hot damn, that's a shame. I'm kinda looking forward to this on the Switch, here's hoping it gets to the UK without issue. Ordering from a different region is always a pain.

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just love how crazy Germany is about these kinda things. They ban a man with a moustache in every game he appears in and they ban voilence in any way. And now even games like galgun are being banned because the game is disliked by the review team. Its really stupid that the people that are just supposed to review the game for a rating ban the game because they find the content inappropiate.

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Denying classification and banning is not the same when it comes to USK ratings. OP shouldn't use those words like synonyms. A ban CAN be imposed, but does not necessarily need to.

Regardless, I'm startled by this. Normally you get denied a rating for Nazi symbolism or obscene amounts of gore. Haven't heard of any other occurence where the USK pulled an American.

I'd be in for a shitstorm (even though I don't care that much about that game in particular rather than lewd games in general). Btw, they are looking for Testers in Berlin and I was about to apply for the job. Should I add "I would make sure that a mistake like with Gal Gun 2 would never happen again" to the application?

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just love how crazy Germany is about these kinda things. They ban a man with a moustache in every game he appears in and they ban voilence in any way. And now even games like galgun are being banned because the game is disliked by the review team. Its really stupid that the people that are just supposed to review the game for a rating ban the game because they find the content inappropiate.
none of those things are true actually

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Btw, they are looking for Testers in Berlin and I was about to apply for the job. Should I add "I would make sure that a mistake like with Gal Gun 2 would never happen again" to the application?
testers for the usk dont rate the games

Last edited by ut2k4master,

Axido

Maker of TRASLApp
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
neither of thse things are true actually

Yes, they are very true, if you figure out which exact guy with a mustache is meant here. Take a look at Wolfenstein and guess why the story is pretty different in the German version. That's called censorship and is used to avoid bans.

Thanks for killing the joke with common knowledge.

Last edited by Axido,
Reactions: KoalaBoy

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes, they are very true, if you figure out which exact guy with a mustache is meant here. Take a look at Wolfenstein and guess why the story is pretty different in the German version. That's called censorship and is used to avoid bans.
hitler isnt banned whatsoever, thats a selfimposed change thats not needed

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Well that's not good. These games are really harmless. Since I'm kind of liberal since it's just cartoons, I don't give two cents. Then again I'm not as impressionable as teens that these games aim at.

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm all for being against censorship, but this game is just weird and entirely unneeded. The fact that it, of all games, manages to get a sequel, is just...eugh.

I've noticed a lot of Vita games that are, in one way or another, like this (touch based mini-games involve girls/women). I definitely agree it's disturbing that it (1) exists in the first place and (2) there are sequels, but with 7 billion people on the planet, it's really hard for me to not be squicked out by a lot of stuff (usually on the gore end) which people enjoy. On the end of things that do and could exist, Gal Gun seems incredibly tame.

Put another way, if this is the sort of stuff that can't get a rating, I'm genuinely curious how they let things like Super Meat Boy through. Or Darkman. Or lots of..err..Germany media.

Justinde75

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
none of those things are true actually

What? Of course they are true. They banned all Dead Rising games except for 4 because of the brutality. They also have to shave off hitlers moustache to be able to sell wolfenstein here.

hitler isnt banned whatsoever, thats a selfimposed change thats not needed
All games that contain any references to nazis or hitler are either censored, or cut completely in Germany.

ut2k4master

Lord Tourettes
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What? Of course they are true. They banned all Dead Rising games except for 4 because of the brutality. They also have to shave off hitlers moustache to be able to sell wolfenstein here.
yet they still allowed uncensored versions of games like doom 3 and the new doom. also the mustache thing still just isnt true at all

All games that contain any references to nazis or hitler are either censored, or cut completely in Germany.
mostly selfimposed

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over