G4 Is No More

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Sep 7, 2012.

Sep 7, 2012

G4 Is No More by Gahars at 2:45 PM (8,239 Views / 4 Likes) 58 replies

1. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    G4 was a beloved and cherished part of gaming culture, a channel that allowed gamers everywhere to unite and e-

Okay, okay, I'm sorry, I can't keep going with a straight face. The point is, NBC Universal is to take the Endless Reruns of Cops and Cheaters Channel behind the shed; in its place, something hipper this way comes.

[​IMG] /Film

So yeah, just to recap: the channel we've come to know and lo... uh, know anyway, will soon be gone. It looks like the network executives are trying to replace it with something a little more classy; at least outclassing G4 shouldn't be all that tough.

There doesn't seem to be any official word on what's happening to the channel's current lineup, but I can't imagine those shows will be sticking around through the transition. In any event, you might want to make your peace with Attack of the Show, and... X-Play, unless that's already over, and... Ninja Warrior? Did they have that one? And who could forget, uh... um... yeah, that's all I've got.

"TV That's Plugged In" ...Not anymore, you're not.

4 people like this.

2. retrodoctor

Banned retrodoctor Banned

United States
    I'm personally excited to see if it's possible to apply class to something like G4.

3. Fear Zoa

Member Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

United States
    G4 was good once a long time ago, these days it sucks and now its dead. I honestly can't say I'll miss it.

1 person likes this.
  4. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Considering G4 hasn't be good since, well, ever, this can only be good.

I love video games but an entire channel dedicated to them is just bad. I can't stand watching people talk about video games. If I wanted to hear talk about video games, I'd go on this very forum or talk to my friends. I don't want to distantly watch other people talk about them, one of which is an unfunny wanna-be comedian male and the other an oblivious borderline attractive female with no experience in video gaming.

2 people like this.
  5. Gahars
    OP

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    I remember that there was a VG Cats comic centered around X-Play a while back. It was pretty spot on, too.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

8 people like this.
  6. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Attack of the Show is just terrible now with Kevin gone. Oh well.

7. Sora de Eclaune

Member Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

United States
    Wait, what? That's the only time I ever saw X-Play and I thought it was great.

8. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Good. They should burn in hell for cannibalizing TechTV. They should have just left it alone, but NOOOOOOOOOOO! They had to mess with something awesome and turn it into the putrid shitpile that G4 has been from the beginning.

2 people like this.
  9. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Honestly, the only people on g4 that actually belonged was Adam Sessler, Morgan Webb, and Kevin perririefredr or however his last name is spelled. They were the only people who actually knew stuff about gaming.

But it sounds like g4 is going to be the new SpikeTV.

I used to watch reviews on the run and everything on g4, but now that victor Lucas left and started it up by himself and has a good co-host that replaced Tommy, there's no need for G4 at all.

10. Hyro-Sama

Member Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Japan
    Never watched G4 and it seems now I never will

11. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Although I never actually watched g4 it could be worse
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_b7TTV1QPY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-DoeMLFYBM

Before you (probably quite rightly) write off UK shows on games way back when there was
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVUJ7ePLgWo

12. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Nothing is worse than wanting to watch some gaming TV and EVERY DAMN TIME you flip to the channel, it's playing Cheaters or Cops.

2 people like this.
  13. Unagi

Banned Unagi A disgrace to his famiry.

United States
    The only show I liked watching was Ninja Warrior. Every thing else could burn in hell. I dunno, I find Japanese people doing insane shit pretty mind boggling.

14. Sicklyboy

Global Moderator Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

United States
    Thank god.

I remember being around 10 thinking "ERMAHGERD A CHANNEL ABOUT VIDJAGAEMS!!!11one!"

We never had "good" cable that went past 100 channels so we could never get it. We finally got it a few years back, and note that I had in fact watched it in bits and pieces at friends' houses prior to that, but when we got Comcast Digital Cable (followed by Verizon FiOS), I watched it a bit and was pretty disappointed in the channel and myself for being so excited for it.

I think people liked it because Olivia Munn was fairly attractive. That's it.

(and my philosophy was to not get hung up over someone on TV, when I could find hotter people with less clothes on the internet :creep: )

15. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    I had G4 for about 3 days when my sat provider had it up for preview. It was lame.

16. the_randomizer

Member the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

United States
    Good, the show stopped being good once they merged with TechTV.

17. Vampire Lied

Member Vampire Lied Resident sociopath

United States
    Let's hope the new channel truly does its own thing. Xplay and all that seemed like the vids they show at gamestop. They always had some trying-to-be-cool douche and some slightly good looking girl who knew fuck all about games. Best part was they were telling you shit you already knew most of the time. Sorry g4, there's hotter gamer chicks in the real world who actually know their shit.

1 person likes this.
  18. Vulpes Abnocto

Former Staff Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

United States
    I have to admit that there's one thing I'm going to miss about G4.

SJUDUIVGYRO

2 people like this.
  19. LightyKD

Member LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

United States
    Beloved and cherished my ass! That channel was filled with Sony and Microsoft fanboys. Thy used to have a show called Cinematech which was like their equivalent of MTV music videos but with game trailers. When I saw that they were NOT listing the GameCube on the list of consoles for certain games that had a GameCube version (I had the damn disc in my hand), I was like "fuck this!" Seriously, I lost all respect for that channel. Now if only we could see the end of Game Informer magazine, I'll be happy!

20. chartube12

Member chartube12 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Game informer still gets information that sometimes doesn't reach the net til later. IE it was them who had the interview with Mr. Miyamoto. Where he promised Nintendo of America would never charge more then 249.99 US Dollars for a system unless it came with a full 35 hour game.