Future Yakuza games will continue to be turn-based, says developer

yakument.jpg

With the official announcement of Lost Judgement, development team Ryu ga Gotoku has taken to an interview to talk about the game and what fans can expect. They also clarified some details regarding the Yakuza series, and that due to the success of Yakuza: Like a Dragon, that franchise's gameplay will remain turn-based for the time being, while the Judgement series will take the mantle as the studio's more traditional action-based release going forward.

The Yakuza series has been transformed into a turn-based RPG. On the other hand, over the years, Ryu ga Gotoku Studio has accumulated resources and know-how of making flashy and exhilarating action games that are effortless to enjoy. We decided that we should let our signature action gameplay live on through Lost Judgment.

Ryu ga Gotoku knows that fans love the gameplay of previous entries, and they've become accustomed to creating these types of 3D brawlers. So, if you're not a fan of the shift to RPG that Yakuza has taken, the decision is here to stay, but if you want more classic Yakuza-style gameplay, you'll need to look to Judgement to fill that position.

:arrow: Source: IGN Interview

SkittleDash

Head Nurse
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Really? Yeah, I think I can count myself out of their future games then. The fighter style is what got me into the series in the first place and is what made the games play so well with the open world. Terrible choice on their part. Damn.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Two thoughts
1) I wonder if this is some kind of Resident Evil Code Veronica situation -- it was generally held that all numbered/mainline releases for Resident Evil were to be some flavour of exclusive to Sony at the time. Solution the game that eventually became 3 was originally a spinoff while Code Veronica was going to be 3, little name switching and yeah.
2) "Oh wow we can make it look far prettier/sillier/action packed for all and for 10x less the price when it is all pre canned and scripted animations with the added bonus it sells enough than making an environment aware open world 3d brawler".

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Wait, it was turn based? I never play the series but I assume it was like GTA no? It kinda weird if a bunch of Yakuza just stand around take turn beating each other.

Reactions: IncredulousP

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Eh, I don't mind more Yakuza RPGs. Like a Dragon is amazing and really stands out when it comes to JRPGs nowadays.
Personally, I didn't like how the Dragon Engine utilizes Kiryu's brawler style, and I prefer the combat system from the previous engine.
If people want the traditional brawler game, there's always more Judgment on the horizon.

Wait, it was turn based? I never play the series but I assume it was like GTA no? It kinda weird if a bunch of Yakuza just stand around take turn beating each other.

The latest game, Yakuza Like a Dragon, was a turn-based RPG.

Reactions: Cortador and DS1
D

Deleted User

In general, Turn-Based RPGs give the widest variety of feasible Ranged and Support Builds over Real-Time systems, especially in Games that promote diversity and replayability.

I'm really not into bashing Controllers unless it's an Arcade Stick and for Arcade Game Genres, so I am definitely in the For Camp on this.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wasn’t a fan of the change to the feel of battles when they changed the engine between 5 and 6. The only reason I kept with 6 was all of the non-fighting stuff that makes the series what it is, so as long as they don’t change that, who cares.

I haven’t played 7 yet, but I hear it gets real “grindy” at certain points. As long as they can shorten the transitions between open-world and battles, it should be fine.

Shenrai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wasn’t a fan of the change to the feel of battles when they changed the engine between 5 and 6. The only reason I kept with 6 was all of the non-fighting stuff that makes the series what it is, so as long as they don’t change that, who cares.

I haven’t played 7 yet, but I hear it gets real “grindy” at certain points. As long as they can shorten the transitions between open-world and battles, it should be fine.

It gets grindy right at the end. I didn't like that either. I like the turn based system more and felt the brawler combat was extremely stale after 6 games. Not like I play Yakuza for its combat, either.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my friend said like a dragon is really good, but I haven't played the series. I think around half of the games (maybe a little more) are playable on an exploitable switch. like a dragon I think requires 8.00+ or the Japanese version of the game iirc. I might be interested in that game, but I'm not sure. I haven't played a ps4 game in a very long time.

hamohamo

Trophies
XP
Country
In general, Turn-Based RPGs give the widest variety of feasible Ranged and Support Builds over Real-Time systems, especially in Games that promote diversity and replayability.

I'm really not into bashing Controllers unless it's an Arcade Stick and for Arcade Game Genres, so I am definitely in the For Camp on this.
I too am a big fan of watching the same animations play out thousands upon thousands of time, waiting and the complete loss of dynamic feel and realism of combat.

Reactions: weatMod

xkoeckiiej

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Played and platinnumed all yakuza games. Despite being a massive overhaul, its alot of fun with the turnbased action as well :D. No complaints here.

Reactions: Cortador

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
"With the official announcement of Lost Judgement" They definitely lost their judgement.

You have RPGs by the dozens, many any mistake and people will jump ship to a different one.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Yakuza is a subversion on GTA formula. With GTA, you spend most of your time doing crimes, driving vehicles and moving up the shady ladder in a large place; Yakuza has you navigating a small-yet-detailed city on your own feet, going into wacky sidestories with random civilians (while improving their lives), and trying to stand up for justice in a criminal underworld. You can't steal cars and rob banks, but you can befriend shopkeepers and own a legal business; you can't start fights, but you can end them.

I'd even say Yakuza is an adventure series in sandbox clothing - you spend way more time chatting and exploring than you do fighting and shooting, and combat itself in Yakuza 1-6 is kinda notable for getting repetitive and easy over time (Yakuza 0 even gives you a mechanic to bypass all non-story battles). Which is why there weren't any massive critical backlash with Y7 turning into JRPG - in the end it didn't make too much difference on the core gameplay.

Last edited by Pipistrele,
Reactions: Cortador
D

Deleted User

my friend said like a dragon is really good, but I haven't played the series. I think around half of the games (maybe a little more) are playable on an exploitable switch. like a dragon I think requires 8.00+ or the Japanese version of the game iirc. I might be interested in that game, but I'm not sure. I haven't played a ps4 game in a very long time.

There's no Yakuza games on the Switch.

And Like a Dragon USA PSN version works on 7.55 without updates. It's out there if you know where to look. It didn't come out in the very beginning that's why I thought I had to settle for Jap version but then it came out. Disc version has 8.0 force update PSN version does not.

Last edited by ,

proffk

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Count me out I'm no fan of the turn base combat direction. Thanks for ruinning a good franchise. I heard Yakuza like a dragon is fun but gets very grindy later on.I dont have time to waste unless they add a usp like persona series has.

D

Deleted User

I too am a big fan of watching the same animations play out thousands upon thousands of time, waiting and the complete loss of dynamic feel and realism of combat.

... Sometimes there are comments that sound like they're coming off people who've lived in a basement all their lives and this has to be one of them.

I grew up on the actual realism of Gang Fighting, I've done my share of Real-Time combo finishes, so I can bear a little embellishment and repetitiveness from my Video Games.

I don't glorify violence.
I don't get a hard-on from Brutality Finishes nor War FPS.

I have friends in all places, which is how my Empathy grew.
I enjoy the Yakuza Games for the same reason I do the Japanese or Hong Kong Gang Films; they speak of an actual lifestyle I can relate to, especially in this neck of the woods.

Last edited by , , Reason: Clarification.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What hurts more is that there's still games that haven't seen and for all we know, may never see an official localization going forward...*Ishin!'s music starts playing*

Reactions: hamohamo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1