• Maybe. Not full speed though.

Votes: 11 47.8%

• Total voters

kotsumu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I don't believe that 3DS will be able to run a PSX emulator.
I'm bored in class so explaining my reasoning will kill sometime. Don't read this if it'll waste your time.

The reason why emulators such as SNES, GBA, N64 or DS is possible in certain platforms. It's because the computing power of what ever we are emulating with is exponentially powerful than that of their predecessor.

Think about it in a theoretical concept. Let us say that a PSX has a computing power of 3 and our current technology allows us to have a computing power of 15. Since the system emulating need to have a exponentially powerful computing power, we will say that the theoretical minimum requirement in order to emulate a PSX is 3^2 = 9. We are therefore able to emulate a PSX with our current system.

Now let us assume what you said is true, that a 3DS is more powerful than a PSX. Of course 3DS does not have as much computational power as our best systems right now, so lets give it a good 8 rating, well above the PSX. However, remember that the required computing power of PSX is 3^2 = 9, thus 3DS fails to fall withing the requirements.

If computing power increases linearly, as statistics have shown, our technology cannot catch up with the increase in the requirement of computing power in order to emulate such systems. Our computational power will increase from 15 then 17,19,21 and so on...While the systems developed from our current technology will increase like that of a 3DS from 8,10,12,14 and so on. Our requirement will be increasing from 8^2,10^2,12^2,14^2....

and blah blah blah, got lazy XD

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do to what we know of the from the released specs thus far I don't believe its to far fetched actually I think its very plausible. Heck the look at the PSP its running the N64 and people said it couldn't be done granted work is still being done on the emulator, that goes with out saying just about every emulator on the web right now has seen updates. So short answer, yes the 3DS will go the route of the Wii you can bet your money on that like with all things just give it some time.

Net_Bastard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii can run a PSX emulator.

The specs of the 3DS are very similar to that of a Wii (I don't know about the architecture, and since that means a lot when emulating something, then my opinion may or may not be accurate. I'm only assuming that the architecture is similar to a Wii)

Definitely not a full-speed PSX emulator, but it can still run a PSX emulator, I think.

ultimatt42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS isn't really similar to the Wii at all. ARM vs PPC, dual-core vs single-core, GX vs OpenGL ES, 128MB RAM vs 24MB. The in-game graphics might look similar in quality, but that's rarely relevant when you're talking about emulation.

I'd guess it really comes down to the CPU. We don't know how fast the 3DS CPU is yet, but credible rumors say it's a dual-core ARM11 running at 266 MHz (totally reasonable, considering it would be twice the DSi's clock rate). If that's true... it MIGHT be possible. A 266 MHz 32-bit ARM isn't going to be any better at emulating a 64-bit MIPS than the Wii's 64-bit PowerPC, though, and I don't remember that emulator running very smoothly at all.

I'm gonna go with "Maybe, but not full speed".

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kotsumu said:
Sorry, I don't believe that 3DS will be able to run a PSX emulator.
I'm bored in class so explaining my reasoning will kill sometime. Don't read this if it'll waste your time.

The reason why emulators such as SNES, GBA, N64 or DS is possible in certain platforms. It's because the computing power of what ever we are emulating with is exponentially powerful than that of their predecessor.

Think about it in a theoretical concept. Let us say that a PSX has a computing power of 3 and our current technology allows us to have a computing power of 15. Since the system emulating need to have a exponentially powerful computing power, we will say that the theoretical minimum requirement in order to emulate a PSX is 3^2 = 9. We are therefore able to emulate a PSX with our current system.

Now let us assume what you said is true, that a 3DS is more powerful than a PSX. Of course 3DS does not have as much computational power as our best systems right now, so lets give it a good 8 rating, well above the PSX. However, remember that the required computing power of PSX is 3^2 = 9, thus 3DS fails to fall withing the requirements.

If computing power increases linearly, as statistics have shown, our technology cannot catch up with the increase in the requirement of computing power in order to emulate such systems. Our computational power will increase from 15 then 17,19,21 and so on...While the systems developed from our current technology will increase like that of a 3DS from 8,10,12,14 and so on. Our requirement will be increasing from 8^2,10^2,12^2,14^2....

and blah blah blah, got lazy XD

First off... whoever told you you need an exponentially more powerful system to emulate was wrong. The SNES has a 3.58mhz processor... My 400mhz desktop at the time couldn't emulate it at full speed (well, full game speed but not 60fps). That's far more than exponential. Indeed the SAME 400mhz computer could emulate an N64 with mario 64, 400mhz is not exponentially higher than 98mhz proceesor.

It's not just a matter of a system being complex, but rather how similar the two architectures are, how well optimized they are, and other factors like bandwidth between components.

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
doyama said:
The GP2X at 500MHz is at least 2-4x more powerful than the 3DS.
I wasn't aware we knew how powerful the 3DS was...
Since the 3DS has been released already, why don't we know the specs? Is the hardware too hard to identify in the handheld? Sorry, it's just that I'm still not sure why the full specs haven't been released yet.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is that it's a custom ARM processor... Since ARM is an open standard anyone can take the designs and then make a custom processor, setting their own speed, cache, feature set, etc.
The only thing we know for a fact about this custom ARM is that... well... it's an ARM processor. That and that it's got a PICA200 chip of some make integrated into it.

The only way we'll ever find out exactly it features is if we get ahold of an official Nintendo Spec sheet or an SDK or someone takes the chip apart and uses an electron microscope on it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, for example byuu (BSNES author) knows a guy that will decap and get info on chips, and it literally does involve an acidic solution and then scanning the chip with an electron microscope... the guy charges $250 per chip, and these are SNES game chips he scans, not something like the 3DS.
tongue.gif

Companies often don't want info about their parts out there because they don't want clones.

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
koji2009 said:
The problem is that it's a custom ARM processor... Since ARM is an open standard anyone can take the designs and then make a custom processor, setting their own speed, cache, feature set, etc.
The only thing we know for a fact about this custom ARM is that... well... it's an ARM processor. That and that it's got a PICA200 chip of some make integrated into it.

The only way we'll ever find out exactly it features is if we get ahold of an official Nintendo Spec sheet or an SDK or someone takes the chip apart and uses an electron microscope on it.
is there not a way to remove the processor and run benchmark test on it?

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Err... well... the easiest way to do that would be to write native code on the native device. The problem is we can't do that...

The only other way would be to desolder the chip from the 3DS board, then create a custom PCB and rewire it to run through something like USB or something like that... Then you'd have to completely program and run an interface between the two systems and then write code for it... Since it is an ARM, there are probably some basic commands that could easily be worked up and run on it... but uh... To be able to do proper pin layouts and everything else, you'd need to know how the processor works... which would again go back to technical spec sheets, or an electron microscope
wink.gif

Those really are our only choices on finding out anything... Either an official leaked document, or a successful hack where we can run code natively.

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
koji2009 said:
The SNES has a 3.58mhz processor... My 400mhz desktop at the time couldn't emulate it at full speed (well, full game speed but not 60fps). That's far more than exponential. Indeed the SAME 400mhz computer could emulate an N64 with mario 64, 400mhz is not exponentially higher than 98mhz proceesor.

What? Your PC could run an N64 emulator but not SNES? That sounds more like user error to me
ohmy.gif

I was running SNES games at full speed on a 166mhz processor in the late 1990's.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Zarxrax said:
koji2009 said:
The SNES has a 3.58mhz processor... My 400mhz desktop at the time couldn't emulate it at full speed (well, full game speed but not 60fps). That's far more than exponential. Indeed the SAME 400mhz computer could emulate an N64 with mario 64, 400mhz is not exponentially higher than 98mhz proceesor.

What? Your PC could run an N64 emulator but not SNES? That sounds more like user error to me
ohmy.gif

I was running SNES games at full speed on a 166mhz processor in the late 1990's.

Maybe the N64 emulator uses 3D acceleration.

ProtoKnux

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
essay-today.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
It's not just potential, it's development of such emulator what would give us some clue.

You can have a great console in terms of processor but as long as no one tries to fit PS1 in and optimizes it to run at full speed, the processor is not going to do it by itself.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
First off.

The only thing we know about the processing power of the 3DS is that it's an ARM CPU. Feasible rumours indicate that it's a dualcore ARM11 clocked at 266MHz, but then again, this doesn't mean that it's true.

Second.

The only reason a PSP could emulate a PS1 is because it has the same architecture. That's 90% of your problem gone.

Third.

It's probably not possible. There is almost no way in hell that a 266 MHz dual core ARM11 (if that is indeed the processor in there) can emulate a 30.8688MHz MIPS processor.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Double dickhead chinballs is still better than double dickhead eyeballs.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    As in, the balls will grow in your eye sockets.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I paid 5 grand to get them moved to my chin
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This you?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My hair can't be that cool
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Ah, yes, portrait mode, surely the best way to film a row of people. If only there were some way to fit a wider shot, at the expense of height... if only...
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    4k portrait mode?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Diddy - "I never touched her, that bitch is crazy." Video is released. Diddy - " Ok I did it, i am remorseful for my actions during my darkest times." Lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Glad that the Diddler got caught once again.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Iran ran out of options
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought I saw my ex on that new kingdom of the Apes poster
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I thought I saw a puttie snatch...
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm so pumped, NCAA football video game is back after a 10 year hiatus, coming to SeriesS/X, PS5 in July.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wish they would let us play the NCAA football 14 on newer xbox, its one of the only games I love and own on disc still, that is not back compatible, bs.
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @BigOnYa My dad recently bought a spare Series X off of me, got game pass, and saw Madden '24 on Game Pass, decided to try it out.

...He was a bit taken aback by the 60GB download size. Poor guy's still living in the 90s!
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AdenTheThird, Bro's still in the PS2 age.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol charging your dad's classic unless he's the type that doesn't like taking things like that
  • AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird:
    @K3Nv2 He was looking into consoles for his house anyway (for my younger siblings and himself) and I had a spare XSX and Switch I ended up selling him at pretty steep cuts. I would just give them to him, but I did buy them with the intent to sell them... and college is super expensive.
    AdenTheThird @ AdenTheThird: @K3Nv2 He was looking into consoles for his house anyway (for my younger siblings and himself)...