FS Dumper and Messsage Board

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by drfsupercenter, Jul 8, 2008.

Jul 8, 2008
  1. drfsupercenter
    OP

Member drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

United States
    OK, so I ran the FS Dumper (I assume it's NAND? Or whatever?) and got a bunch of random files in the WII_FS folder. Where are all the pictures I had on my Message Board? That was the whole reason I tried dumping it in the first place... and it's not very straightforward.

And do I need some sort of bin2jpg or other decrypter like you do for Brawl?

Sorry if the answer's already on here... Search came up with too many threads...

-Danny

2. drfsupercenter
    OP

United States
    Surely someone here must know!

With all you guys who use NAND Dumper, have you ever once tried to view the message board pictures? This forum is the only place I can really ask about it... and no one's replying! [​IMG]

3. nanika

Member nanika 文鎮じゃダメ!まぁ、こんな文字小さしすぎてどうせ読めないっしょ。

United States
    Hi drf, open X:\WII_FS\SHARED2\WC24\MBOX\WC24RECV.MBX in a something like Notepad. You will see blocks of same-length text. Copy one of these into a separate file and remove the base-64 encoding in it with OpenSSL. (Because the resultant file may contain non-printable characters, an online base-64 decoder may not work.) Then you have a file. If it was sent from a computer, it is usually unencrypted past the base-64 stage. If it was sent from a Wii... I have yet to decode this. Also, Miis you are sent are all there base-64 encoded.

4. PKGINGO

Member PKGINGO GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Might I add not to use notepad to do the copying, instead use a hex editor's (such as HxD) hex side to copy and paste because certain non printable characters might get messed up in the copy->paste and notepad may prepend incorrect encoding information to the beginning of the text file.

5. nanika

Member nanika 文鎮じゃダメ!まぁ、こんな文字小さしすぎてどうせ読めないっしょ。

United States
    Well... yes, I suppose. I don't see why not. ^^ Only thing is that in Notepad the base-64 (as it is designed for sending pictures over e-mail) looks nice in ASCII and is easy to spot. There are no non-printable characters in it at this stage as that is the nice part of base-64 - it uses the alphabet for everything, including normally non-printable characters.
    As far as I know if you use the local encoding in Notepad it just saves the data as you see it on the screen, the only thing to tell Notepad a file is a Notepad file is the .txt extension.

6. drfsupercenter
    OP

United States
    Alright, I'm not quite sure how to do this...

I opened it in Hex Workshop but what does OpenSSL do? I don't know what programs I'm supposed to use or how to get an image out of it...

There haven't been any programs made, have there?

Most of the pictures came from stuff like Pokémon Snap and some of the promo pics they send you when you install new Nintendo channels. Are those able to be decrypted?

--EDIT--

There's nothing really private in my inbox... if any of you are good at getting pictures from it I can upload the .mbx file. I really have no idea how do make files using Hex so I'm more likely to screw it up.