Hacking Frustrated with USB Loaders and backups, etc.

smoothiespampam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey everyone,

I have 4.1U system menu on my wii, with HBC and everything installed. However, I cannot seem to get USB Backup loading to work, and I've searched all over and done everything the tutorials and guides have said and I'm honestly stuck :/

I have a compatible USB Hard drive (Maxtor 120 GB OneTouch), as it said on the Device Compatibility list, and I even double checked with the USB Vendor ID's, so I don't think it's the device.

For CIOS, I've installed all the d2x that come with the installer, I've installed CIOS 236, Hermes' 222, so I'm not too sure on what else to do with CIOS.

My hard drive has been formatted with all the configurations: I've tried having one partition (active and primary) as Fat32; I've tried NTFS; I tried one half WBFS, and the other half FAT32, but all the loaders I've tried (Cfg, Usb Loader GX, NeoGamma, etc.) say they can't find my USB Device.

I've plugged it into both slots each attempt.

One strange thing I noticed, however, is that when I put apps on my FAT32 partition of the USB Device, the HBC has no problem detecting those, but it's like the NTFS or WBFS or FAT32 (with the wbfs folder) doesn't exist.

I'm running the loaders off of the SD Card, not off of a FAT32 partition of the USB hard drive.

I know it's alot, but if anyone can help it'd be greatly appreciated!
Thank you :)

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
There are problematic USB drives, like mine (even it stops being detected sometimes).

You should do a completely new FAT32 (primary, active,cluster size by default) partition, stick with CFG USB Loader rev "compatibility" builds (those compiled with an older/better libogc) and d2x cios249 base 56 .

Use WiiBackupManager (the latest available) to add games onto that FAT32 partition. Oh, and make sure CFG USB Loader seek USB devices through IOS249 (older revs did this by default)

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
GParted? Uhm try a windows app. FAT32GUI does a good job (it can format large drives to FAT32), and the cluster size should be left by default (forcing can lead to problems if you don't know what you're doing).

Say, do your drive include a bundled software?If so you may want to disable it (if possible). WD brand is well known for this,and carry some problems with USB loaders.

smoothiespampam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey forgot to say thanks for all the help lol

I switched over from CFG v70 to v69-compat from their google code site

I used a program called GUIFormat from http://www.pendriveapps.com/goto/HERE/4090/2 (which I believe is the program you recommended) instead of GParted

I fixed an IOS 246 Stub with d2x

here's my SysCheck if it's any help: http://www.mediafire.com/?wzs3mbmm59u3mww

It's still saying Device not responding from CFG

sorry for the hassle :/

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
It must be IOS249 NON STUB (because the modules to detect your disk, reside in the cios slot you install)

edit: oki, my bad. You have everything in place to have a USB loader working. There's a CFG USB Loader oggzee compiled with an older libogc library which has helped me a lot in the past.

Seems the file is no longer available through CFG USB Loader online updater, so I uploaded it for you:

CFG USB Loader v66 old libogc (1.6.1?), and gave me a lot of compatibility with older IDE USB drives!

http://www.mediafire...oscxpjgf4lbxg5p

(if CFG USB developers don't mind, me hosting the files, of course.. !)

smoothiespampam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol once again no luck :/ idk if it means anything but when I load up the CFG you gave me it says 249 [FRAG] at the bottom right corner

...or my wii just hates me :O

BBking83

Trophies
XP
Country
What file format are the ISOs?

If you're using FAT32, doesn't it have to be .wbfs file format?? And if it's WBFS it has to be .ISO file format and you habe to use WBFS Manager (or something similar) to transfer the files?

Have you tried formatting the HDD from the USB loader and installing a game manually?

smoothiespampam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@ BBKing: on the FAT32 Filesystem, I used wii backup manager and it put them into .wbfs format automatically, and when I go to the USB Boot Loader, it doesn't even load up, so I don't think I can format the USB Drive

@Coto: I can give it a shot, thanks for everything I'll post if I get any success with it

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Check if your USB drive is being detected on most multimedia/file manager apps. (WiiMC, MPLAYERCE, etc) (some of them relies on cios202, it must be installed first)

smoothiespampam

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed Hermes CIOS 202 and 224

Well, I tried MPlayerCE and the program wouldn't boot up unless I turned the USB hard drive off.
Same goes for WiiXplorer.

When I turned it back on after the programs booted up, they were unable to see the device. MPlayer CE said, when I clicked on FAT32 Wii USB, that there was no device

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Ok, then your USB drive must be faulty (because you're plugging devices in the #0 USB, right? The one at the bottom) ... or the #USB 0 might be faulty... nothing to do here. You should test that USB drive on another wii...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-industry/sony-apologizes-for-sony-interview-with-sony-developer-ne...