Frozen from added file

Discussion in 'iPhone, iPod & iPad' started by RiderLeangle, Aug 26, 2011.

Aug 26, 2011

Frozen from added file by RiderLeangle at 8:55 PM (857 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. RiderLeangle
    OP

Member RiderLeangle GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    OK I have a 4th gen ipod touch and I had installed VLC on it, I tried to add a file manually (because if I try to use itunes with apps it deletes all the instalous added apps), At first it couldn't find the file so I tried rebooting, now it's stuck in the apple logo screen, Even after the holding Home+Sleep/Power "trick" it still goes back to being frozen... Right now I'm trying to get the battery to die which is going to take a while since it was fully charged and has been on the charger, How can I fix it?

(BTW yes... I feel like an idiot, no comments please...)

2. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    AFAIK, You gotta restore man. You should have installed AppSync, and clicked "Transfer Purchases from (iPod's name here)" before syncing using iTunes. How did you add the file? Through SSH?

And I don't mean regular restore, I mean DFU restore

3. JustChillin1414

Member JustChillin1414 <3 Tiny Tina

Canada
    In future to get iTunes not to delete things use SBSettings to turn the Apple Killswitch off and install the AppSync version for your firmware (from the hackulo repository.) As an added precaution when you connect your iPod to iTunes, right click on your iPod and select transfer purchases, then the apps will be in your iTunes library. For now I would try to get into recovery mode or DFU mode (google for instructions) and alt click on restore (in iTunes) to restore from a .ipsw (download from the internet your current firmware.)

4. RiderLeangle
    OP

United States
    Well how would I do that?

And I used "iPhone Folders" and added it to the folder where the videos should go

5. JustChillin1414

Canada
    What's your current firmware?

6. RiderLeangle
    OP

United States
    I'm not sure and I can't check. I got it at the end of december new and never updated it if that helps

7. Ron

Member Ron somehow a weeb now.

Canada
    Really, Just try your luck at a Genius bar. If they tell you your warranty is void, you're out of luck. That's Apple for ya'. Also, if you can remove all traces of your cracked apps using itunes

8. RiderLeangle
    OP

United States
    Well if I could get it to connect to my computer I wouldn't be having a problem now would I... There has to be some kind of back door to get in while it's at the apple logo right?...

9. JustChillin1414

Canada
    Okay first download this .ipsw
    Now, make sure you ipod is fully off, then connect it to your computer while holding the home button, it should go into recovery mode.
    Then in iTunes Alt+Click the restore button and navigate to the file I gave you.
    This will update you to the latest jailbreakable firmware and delete everything on your ipod.
    Good luck.

10. JustChillin1414

Canada
    Also, your warranty is void because of jailbreaking, so that's a no go. You should be able to recover it fine with the instructions I gave you. I have had to restore my iPod many times because of all my screw ups.

11. RiderLeangle
    OP

United States
    How would I make sure I completely power it off from the apple logo?
    (Sorry about the stupid question, I've just never had to completely power it off before)

12. JustChillin1414

Canada
    By completely I meant just make sure nothing is showing on the screen, if it's frozen just press the power and home buttons for about 10 seconds.

13. RiderLeangle
    OP

United States
    Well when I do that, it goes back to the apple logo

14. JustChillin1414

Canada
    Okay, hold the power and home buttons until it turns off, and keep holding them, then quickly release the power button and plug in the usb (while holding home.)

15. JustChillin1414

Canada
    If that doesn't work you could try DFU mode, which is similar to recovery mode. The instructions are as follows:
    Step 1: Turn off your iPod touch / iPhone completely and connect to PC / mac

Step 2: Hold down the Power button for 3 seconds

Step 3: Without releasing the power button, also hold the Home button for 10 seconds

Step 4: Without releasing the home button, release the power button and keep holding the Home button for 20 seconds.

Itunes will identify that you are in DFU mode.

In this case you're gonna want to hold power and home to turn it off, let go of home and follow the rest of the instructions.

16. RiderLeangle
    OP

United States
    Actually I got it with the quick method, glad I'm part Ninja. But it's not letting me get to where I can select the file and is giving a default (I assume default) restore message and it's saying that will restore and update. Are you sure holding alt and clicking is the right command? (Or should I have specified I'm on Windows?)
    EDIT: Nevermind, it's shift+click... back to feeling like an idiot...

17. JustChillin1414

Canada
    I just read that it's shift click in windows, not sure...

18. RiderLeangle
    OP

United States
    Uhhh, it didn't want to restore because it said that firmware was corrupt. The latest firmware is jailbreakable right?

19. JustChillin1414

Canada
  20. RiderLeangle
    OP

United States
    Well I'm trying... I waited too long on a download and it popped back into that frozen mode and isn't in recovery mode and it isn't wanting to go back, and I can't use that other method since it won't completely shut down..
    EDIT: Wow, switching hands and got it... so I'm half ninja? [​IMG]

EDIT2: Yeah... It's not letting me use those, I'm just going to have to update, I mean at least a jailbreak is possible

EDIT3: OK, it seems to be restored, syncing back all my songs and I have to get all my apps back but at least it's functional