Friends 3DS won't boot

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by GamerzHell9137, Oct 15, 2015.

1. GamerzHell9137
    OP

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    A friend has a 3DS which won't boot. Its the OG Pink 3DS and it gets stuck on a black screen. It won't boot and it just turns on with a black screen. There's no SD card in the unit and there was only a DS cartridge inside. I tried to plug it out (I had a similar issue with the flashcard being inside so i thought that maybe taking it out will solve the issue but it didn't) and see if it changed but no dice. Not sure what to do to fix it but it seems like its Soft Bricked or something like that. Anyone know what's wrong and how to fix it?

EDIT: Thought maybe taking the battery could solve it? Or max drain it and then charge it back again? It shines green when its turned on but black screen.

Last edited by GamerzHell9137, Oct 15, 2015
  2. Plasma Shadow

Plasma Shadow GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform

May 15, 2009
    I have no fucking idea.
    If you can take it apart, check to make sure everything is connected properly, and also check for water damage (although it doesnt sound like that, but it wont hurt to check)

3. GamerzHell9137
    OP

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    She said that it just stopped to work. She doesn't remember what she did but it didn't get any fall or water damage.

4. SmileCitrus

SmileCitrus GBAtemp Regular

Mar 29, 2009
    United States
    A solid black screen can be caused if the WiFi daughterboard is loose or disconnected. That can happen if the console is dropped, bumped, or handled a bit too roughly. It's the easiest problem to fix with 3DSes. Just unplug it and reseat it.

On the other hand, if your friend's console powers on to black screens but shows the power off/sleep mode screen when the power button is pressed and hangs on the white screen that says "home" when the home button is pressed (but never actually loads the home screen), then the motherboard is hosed. I'm not sure what causes this, but to my knowledge nobody has yet publicized a way to fix these boards. I read some speculation that it could be due to a bad connection to the NAND chip. If that's the case, it's not really something that most people would be able to fix.

5. GamerzHell9137
    OP

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    It doesnt boot to anything, its just black screen and the power button is blue.

6. SmileCitrus

SmileCitrus GBAtemp Regular

Mar 29, 2009
    United States
    That's good news then. It's likely the WiFi board is not plugged in fully.

GamerzHell9137 likes this.