Hacking Free space on ps3

the byter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably a pretty dumb question, but how do I recognize free space on a ps3?

I have a fat (original 60gb) upgraded to 340GB on fw 3.41. After jailbreaking it and installing a bunch of stuff, I filled up the hard drive. I went through and deleted a bunch of installed demos, videos, etc (probably about 10GB worth) via the playstation interface, but it still reports "your machine has less than 500mb available"), and the system info shows 0GB free. I've tried power cycling the machine. Is there a recycle bin or something I'm missing that I need to do to recognize the free space?

the byter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
p1ngpong said:
emigre said:
XMB, Settings, System Settings, System Information.

It sounds like he already tried that, but the system info is giving him false readings.

Yup, it tells me I have nothing free. It appears that I "delete" things from the xmb but they don't get removed from the drive. They do vanish from the xmb.

the byter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this has now happened on my other PS3, the slim.

Filled up the internal drive via FTP, got the machine into a state where it thinks it has less than 500MB free. Delete a bunch of stuff from FTP and some from XMB, still complains. Restore default settings, still complains. Remove saved game data, still complains. System info says 0kb free, although I've deleted ~300MB from the XMB and 20GB from FTP.

A reformat should solve the problem, but it appears that there is either:
a: a "recycle bin" somewhere where my deletes, XMB and FTP, go - which seems pretty unlikely
b: the free drive space is cached somewhere

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
having a similar problem on a phat 80gb ps3. done a quick format and it shows 64gb free out of 74gb. where did the other 10gb go?

full format is showing 4hours!!!! clicked and waitng about 10mins and its at 0%

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
are you using version 2 of 3.41? there was a rerelease of 3.41 shortly after the first one because there were issues with users who replaced their internal hard drive, make sure you install the v2 of 3.41

the byter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DaMummy said:
are you using version 2 of 3.41? there was a rerelease of 3.41 shortly after the first one because there were issues with users who replaced their internal hard drive, make sure you install the v2 of 3.41

That's a very good question, one worth exploring. Do you know an archive where I can get the 3.41 v2 installer?

DaMummy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i had one bookmarked, but my os crashed 3 days ago so i lost it, and i cant for the life of me remember the name of the archive that had all the ps3 firmwares for all regions
ok nvm i found it get the "Silent second full release" make sure you get the right region obviously, and i hope you know how to install it yourself
http://www.eurasia.nu/wiki/index.php/Ps3OsRels

the byter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DaMummy said:
i had one bookmarked, but my os crashed 3 days ago so i lost it, and i cant for the life of me remember the name of the archive that had all the ps3 firmwares for all regions
ok nvm i found it get the "Silent second full release" make sure you get the right region obviously, and i hope you know how to install it yourself
http://www.eurasia.nu/wiki/index.php/Ps3OsRels

Thanks, I will give this a try!

the byter

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Updating the thread..

I updated to the fixed 3.41. Alas it did not solve the problem. I reformatted the drive to solve the problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: That counts as a software update :tpi: