Free Software Similair to MS Office

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by kicknhorse, Mar 16, 2010.

Mar 16, 2010
  1. kicknhorse
    OP

Member kicknhorse GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I could not find anything via the search function.

But I was curious, is anyone aware of any decent software similair to MS Office that is free to download. I mainly need Excel & Access. A Word type program would also be helpful but not essential as I have an official copy of Word.

Porting from Access and Excel is not essential as I am happy to do this manually. Must include some similair features of Access & Excel, and be fairly straight forward and stable.

Also, has anyone any experiance in using MS Money (I think it is called) as an alternative to Excel and Access for things which are self-explanatory in the title.

I look forward to your reponses - if you can help - and thank you.

2. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Open Office?

I don't think it has an Access-like component though.

edit: oh wait, it does.

3. kicknhorse
    OP

United Kingdom
    Haha, brilliant. Ok thank you I will take a look this evening. It is much appreciated.

4. Eon-Rider

Member Eon-Rider GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
  5. Dangy

Member Dangy Twisting Your Mind & Smashing Your Dreams

United States
    Yep, OpenOffice is what you want.

6. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Try Open Office: although it's doen't look like Office 2007 - it looks more like Office 2003

Contains the following applications

Writer: Similar to Word
    Calc: Similar to Excel
    Impress: Similar to Powerpoint
    Draw: there is nothing similar to this in Office
    Base: Similar to Access
    IIRC there is also a program included that allows you to create fomulas, which you can't do in Office

Read about each program at http://why.openoffice.org/why_great.html

7. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    I came here to say OpenOffice but discovered a hundred people has already said it.

8. kicknhorse
    OP

United Kingdom
    Wow ok, I will have a look through the rest of those this evening though. Thank you again.

The only other one I've heard of is Lotus Symphony as it is used on some Archos' [​IMG]

EDIT: Thank you to all for your reponses, it seems Open Office is a majority here. Do you all use it, or have used, yourself? Thank you to all again.

9. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    Microsoft made an update which stopped my pirate version of Office from loading. I decided to try OpenOffice rather than go though the rigmarole finding a different cracked copy and serials and all that. So far OpenOffice does all the things I used Microsoft Office for.

10. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    For on the move type stuff, Google Docs is also good.
    Upload doc files, etc and easy to e-mail them to other people.

But like most people said, OpenOffice is good

11. kicknhorse
    OP

United Kingdom
    I'd prefer to avoid any google products if possible, but thank you also very much

12. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Haha, you'll be surprised how sometimes Google comes in handy [​IMG]

13. kicknhorse
    OP

United Kingdom
    I know how convieniant and helpful they can be sometimes. Oh, I do know. I only ever really use Google Maps from Google, and the search as well quite alot, with Cuil also.

I had problems though with the Andriod operating system on various products, it just didn't work too well. All other things I don't really touch

14. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Google Docs is pretty decent for quick editing. I just wouldn't use it for anything too important. [​IMG]

+1 Open Office.

15. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    I used it on-&-off @ home for a while (I think it was V2.xx that I used), as I couldn't afford MS Office 2003 @ the time, yet that was what was being used in work & there were times I needed to take work home to finish off (Later on I got a 'student edition' 2003 @ discount price -despite not being a student)

I think it's best to warn you that there MAY be some documents that are not 100% compatible between version

The only problem that I can remember when transferring documents between work & home was just one document that had a combination of text/clip art within a graphical 'border' made multiple times (it was a set of 'labels' of a specific shape)

If it was made in OO but when loaded into MSOffice everything was 'split up', yet if made in MSOffice then loaded it into OO - it was fine (Very weird that was)

I also currently have a 'portable' Openoffice on my USB flashdrive - just in case I need to go round a friends house & they get a office document that they can't open, because they don't MSOffice
    - I can then open it up & they can then print it (Or IIRC I could also make a PDF version of the doc through OpenOffice - which is something else MSOffice can't do)

Hope this little insight helps

16. kicknhorse
    OP

United Kingdom
    It does very much, thank you CannonFoddr & Edhel, I really appriciate it.

I don't think I would use Google Docs for anything important but thank you very much for the kind advise [​IMG]

17. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    OpenOffice is pretty much Sun's attempt to compete with Office. They've done a good job... and it's free.

18. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I will second open office but some people find it a bit clunky (disable java in the options and it will start in a flash- you lose help which is better sourced from the internet anyway).

To this end consider also grabbing a copy of AbiWord
    http://www.abisource.com/

Even together they clock less than an office install. The offices I take care of use open office (only about 50 chairs in all) and I use it myself as my main office program.

As for MS money I have not really used it but for accountancy it does not look that pretty but GNUcash is awesome.
    http://www.gnucash.org/

There are a couple of other free ones but not having tested them at length I am not going to call it, I warn you though accountancy firms the world over are sticklers for their chosen format.

19. kicknhorse
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thank you also for your help FAST6191, I have had a play around with Open Office, and it does work quite nicely in some areas, and my Excel spreadsheets transferred straight over. Just a little problem with Access Databses though.

I will continue looking around a playing, and I may even try GNUcash later this evening, from what I can see it look pretty good for the purpose of which I need.

Thank you again to all for your help.

20. Cermage

Member Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    you can always try your hand in ms office 2010. the beta is out and is free to use. quite stable for me.