Gaming Free Software Similair to MS Office

kicknhorse

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I could not find anything via the search function.

But I was curious, is anyone aware of any decent software similair to MS Office that is free to download. I mainly need Excel & Access. A Word type program would also be helpful but not essential as I have an official copy of Word.

Porting from Access and Excel is not essential as I am happy to do this manually. Must include some similair features of Access & Excel, and be fairly straight forward and stable.

Also, has anyone any experiance in using MS Money (I think it is called) as an alternative to Excel and Access for things which are self-explanatory in the title.

I look forward to your reponses - if you can help - and thank you.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Try Open Office: although it's doen't look like Office 2007 - it looks more like Office 2003

Contains the following applications

Writer: Similar to Word
Calc: Similar to Excel
Impress: Similar to Powerpoint
Draw: there is nothing similar to this in Office
Base: Similar to Access
IIRC there is also a program included that allows you to create fomulas, which you can't do in Office

Read about each program at http://why.openoffice.org/why_great.html

kicknhorse

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Eon-Rider said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_suite

*poke*

But like Law, I recommend OpenOffice.

Wow ok, I will have a look through the rest of those this evening though. Thank you again.

The only other one I've heard of is Lotus Symphony as it is used on some Archos'
tongue.gif

EDIT: Thank you to all for your reponses, it seems Open Office is a majority here. Do you all use it, or have used, yourself? Thank you to all again.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
kicknhorse said:
Do you all use it, or have used, yourself?
Microsoft made an update which stopped my pirate version of Office from loading. I decided to try OpenOffice rather than go though the rigmarole finding a different cracked copy and serials and all that. So far OpenOffice does all the things I used Microsoft Office for.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
For on the move type stuff, Google Docs is also good.
Upload doc files, etc and easy to e-mail them to other people.

But like most people said, OpenOffice is good

kicknhorse

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Prowler485 said:

I'd prefer to avoid any google products if possible, but thank you also very much

kicknhorse

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Prowler485 said:
Haha, you'll be surprised how sometimes Google comes in handy
tongue.gif

I know how convieniant and helpful they can be sometimes. Oh, I do know. I only ever really use Google Maps from Google, and the search as well quite alot, with Cuil also.

I had problems though with the Andriod operating system on various products, it just didn't work too well. All other things I don't really touch

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Prowler485 said:

Google Docs is pretty decent for quick editing. I just wouldn't use it for anything too important.
wink.gif

+1 Open Office.

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
kicknhorse said:
Do you all use it, or have used, yourself?
I used it on-&-off @ home for a while (I think it was V2.xx that I used), as I couldn't afford MS Office 2003 @ the time, yet that was what was being used in work & there were times I needed to take work home to finish off (Later on I got a 'student edition' 2003 @ discount price -despite not being a student)

I think it's best to warn you that there MAY be some documents that are not 100% compatible between version

The only problem that I can remember when transferring documents between work & home was just one document that had a combination of text/clip art within a graphical 'border' made multiple times (it was a set of 'labels' of a specific shape)

If it was made in OO but when loaded into MSOffice everything was 'split up', yet if made in MSOffice then loaded it into OO - it was fine (Very weird that was)

I also currently have a 'portable' Openoffice on my USB flashdrive - just in case I need to go round a friends house & they get a office document that they can't open, because they don't MSOffice
- I can then open it up & they can then print it (Or IIRC I could also make a PDF version of the doc through OpenOffice - which is something else MSOffice can't do)

Hope this little insight helps

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I will second open office but some people find it a bit clunky (disable java in the options and it will start in a flash- you lose help which is better sourced from the internet anyway).

To this end consider also grabbing a copy of AbiWord
http://www.abisource.com/

Even together they clock less than an office install. The offices I take care of use open office (only about 50 chairs in all) and I use it myself as my main office program.

As for MS money I have not really used it but for accountancy it does not look that pretty but GNUcash is awesome.
http://www.gnucash.org/

There are a couple of other free ones but not having tested them at length I am not going to call it, I warn you though accountancy firms the world over are sticklers for their chosen format.

kicknhorse

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
FAST6191 said:
I will second open office but some people find it a bit clunky (disable java in the options and it will start in a flash- you lose help which is better sourced from the internet anyway).

To this end consider also grabbing a copy of AbiWord
http://www.abisource.com/

Even together they clock less than an office install. The offices I take care of use open office (only about 50 chairs in all) and I use it myself as my main office program.

As for MS money I have not really used it but for accountancy it does not look that pretty but GNUcash is awesome.
http://www.gnucash.org/

There are a couple of other free ones but not having tested them at length I am not going to call it, I warn you though accountancy firms the world over are sticklers for their chosen format.

Thank you also for your help FAST6191, I have had a play around with Open Office, and it does work quite nicely in some areas, and my Excel spreadsheets transferred straight over. Just a little problem with Access Databses though.

I will continue looking around a playing, and I may even try GNUcash later this evening, from what I can see it look pretty good for the purpose of which I need.

Thank you again to all for your help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free