Free MCboot help please

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Michael J Mortimore, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Michael J Mortimore
    OP

Michael J Mortimore Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2013
    United States
    I have two PlayStation 2, one is SCPH-77001 and the other is SCPH-75001. I'm trying to install free mcboot the flash drive I'm using is a HP v125w 4gig, that has been formatted FAT32, when i place the Noobie Package on my USB and go to the media player it skips the FREE_MCBOOT.ELF completely and just goes into the install folder so i put it in the install folder and it still didnt read it, it picks up FCEU.ELF but when i play it it goes to a black screen. keep in mind i have tried both playstations any help to this would be great.

2. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    Have you tried using a different method of installing free MCboot.

3. Michael J Mortimore
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2013
    United States
    I have tried the AR Max PS1 exploit on my friends fat ps2 (SCPH-39001) but for some reason it booted the playstation 1 game instead of free mcboot, ive tried the swap method and the uLaunch through the media player, i tried burning uLE v4.38 to dvd that was a fail also

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Write down the steps you're taking with each method, there's no reason why the Installer shouldn't boot.

5. Michael J Mortimore
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2013
    United States
  6. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Try another USB drive.
    Preferably smaller then 2 GB

7. BlackWizzard17

BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

Dec 1, 2012
    United States
    E-Arth
    Could it be your USB it says some are not compatible, i loaded the file from my 8 gig usb device.
    When i first tried to install free mcboot it was a pain in the ass because i think i did the swap method.

Have you tried using a ps2 game disc to install free MCboot.

8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    If the installer detects the USB stick then the USB stick isn't faulty, the problem is that the ARMax thinks the Install folder if the ROOT of the stick.

This might be a long-shot, but have you tried putting a copy of FREE_MCBOOT.ELF in the Install folder? ;)

9. Michael J Mortimore
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2013
    United States
    I have done that and once it actually showed up! but alas once I pressed play it loaded to a black screen and remained unresponsive

10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Right. In that case, try out something that I consider stupid - copy the original Install folder... into the Install folder. Then try booting the ELF again.

11. Michael J Mortimore
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2013
    United States
    should I format it once more before i do that

12. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    No need, just go for it. The drive is clearly fine - you can see the contents. The problem is on the ARMax side, but I'm not sure how to alter the ROOT folder since I'm not familiar with the kit.

13. Michael J Mortimore
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2013
    United States
    another longshot down, it wont even find the .elf it only finds what is in the install folder but not free mcboot.elf

14. Michael J Mortimore
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2013
    United States
    okay media player found FREE MCBOOT.elf now im afraid that when i play it that my PlayStation 2 will head to the black screen and become unresponsive

EDIT* I tested my luck and played it, and got no luck it goes to a black screen and my USB has a green light that shows its processing but after about a solid thirty seconds my USB light disappears

15. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Fair enough, the results should be instantanous so there's clearly a problem.

What you should try is formatting the USB stick to FAT32 and restricting its total size to, say, 1-2GB. To do that, you'll have to open the Disk Manager, remove whatever partition is currently active and create a new, smaller Primary partition. This procedure is very simple and shouldn't take you too long.

After doing so, put the Noobie Package back onto the stick and boot ARMax. I've just read the ARMax's instruction manual according to which the program automatically scans the whole stick for appropriate files. This leads me to believe that your "FREE_MCBOOT.ELF" may be corrupt in some way if it refuses to pop up when it's at the ROOT of the stick. Make sure that your Noobie Package was not corrupt by re-downloading it. If the file refuses to pop up when in ROOT, rename it to something shorter, like "FMCB.ELF".

If you continue encountering issues, can you please try putting uLaunchELF into whichever folder the Media Player will treat as ROOT and boot that? If it boots, we can work it out from there. If not, do you per chance have a blank CD? You could try burning an installation CD.

16. Michael J Mortimore
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2013
    United States
    proper download link ?

is it the whole noobie package or is it just the mcboot.elf

17. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
  18. Michael J Mortimore
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2013
    United States
    okay now make another partition on the usb

19. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    To be 100% clear, not "another", there should be just one. One small, 1-2GB partition and the rest should be free, unallocated space. The partition should also be Primary.

20. Michael J Mortimore
    OP

Newcomer
    Oct 25, 2013
    United States
    Instruction please?
    also a brief explanation of why a smaller usb drive will work