Free McBoot and PS2 Fat

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by niceme.me, Jun 20, 2015.

1. niceme.me
    OP

niceme.me Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 24, 2015
    Poland
    Simple question, is every PS2 Fat able to use Free McBoot?(model, region etc.)

2. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
  3. mechadylan

mechadylan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 18, 2009
    United States
    Yes. The big advantage of a fat PS2 over a slim is the ability to add an internal hdd and avoid using the slow USB 1.1 connections.

4. migles

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    wrong thread?
    or misunderstood?
    op is asking about freeMcboot, which is installed on the memory card...

5. mechadylan

mechadylan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 18, 2009
    United States
    Nope. Simple question; simple answer, yes. Just throwing in my own 2 cents about fat preference over slim. Sorry to have confused you.

6. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    As far as I know FMCB works on all PS2. I use it with a Phat PS2. I used the swap disc trick to get it installed to the memory card.

7. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    FreeMcboot will work fine on all Fat models. There are four different ways to play backups using FMCB: ESR patched burns, through HDD with network adapter(Fat only), through ethernet and through USB. Burned backups generally have the best compatibility, but HDD loading is very fast and lag free. Ethernet loading is very convenient as it allows you load games from any device on the network. USB loading however sucks pretty bad since the PS2 uses USB 1.1 which is not suitable for loading games.

If you need help installing FMCB on your memory card then I'm sure there are plenty of members here who would be willing to do it for you. I installed mine with the swap trick and I had to borrow my cousin's PS2 slim to do so as it's extremely difficult to do on a Fat.

8. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    The swap trick difficulty level depends on the person doing it.

9. migles

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    @Catastrophic
    @SickPuppy
    gonna grab this thread and ask, for swap trick, you need swap magic disk right?
    or it can be done with a normal game?

10. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    I installed mine using hd loader
    If you have an action replay that can act as a swap disc also, you just need to remove the faceplate off the disc drive and create your own slide card

11. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    I'm not familiar with using a swap magic disk for the swap trick but I'm guessing you just use it to load a backup that launches the FreeMcboot installer. The easiest method of installing FreeMcboot is by using an existing FreeMcboot card to make another one.

How I personally did it is that I replaced a boot.elf file within the Ratchet and Clank 3 iso responsible for launching the Sly 2 demo with the uLaunchELF one and then burned the iso to a disk. Then I inserted an original Ratchet and Clank 3 disk into the console, launched the Sly 2 demo and then swapped the original disk with the burned one, forcing the console to load the modified elf file. Only problem is that the console checks the game's legitimacy three times meaning you have to quickly swap the disks three times in succession for every check, which is nearly impossible on a Fat unless you have very, very nimble hands. I tried all night. I eventually gave in and tried on a Slim and only then could I get it working.

12. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States