Homebrew FREE DPG converter than can be used with moonshell 2.10

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i need a FREE (Note the Free!) DPG Converter (notw the DPG!) That can convert mp4's (Note MP4's too!).
So FREE DPG converter that can convert MP4's into DPG. Also make sure this converter can convert big files (2.5GB big), long videos (up to 3 hours), high quality (1080p), and high framerate (atleast 30 FPS (if not achievable, its ok.) Thanks!

Remember:
  • FREE
  • DPG
  • MP4
  • HIGH QUALITY VIDEO
  • LONG VIDEO
  • BIG FILES
  • HIGH FRAMERATE (Not as important)

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
question, by free, do you mean "legit"? does "free" includes not free software which you can get it in "special places" for free?

D

Deleted-236924

Um, if you can't find one that takes 1080p input, then you should probably convert your videos to a lower resolution using a different video converter and then run it through a DPG converter.

CIAwesome526

Im ugly and im proud
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I remember correctly, playback in the DPG format gets choppy the longer the video is...
But anyway, check out DPG4X on sourceforge.
Link: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dpg4x/
Seems to be legit.
thx, ill try it later.

Um, if you can't find one that takes 1080p input, then you should probably convert your videos to a lower resolution using a different video converter and then run it through a DPG converter.

thx for tip.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Get a dstwo and then watch in .avi format. Converting videos to dpg takes freakin' forever.
.avi is just a container format, you should still convert videos to the appropriate resolution and choose a lightweigh codec for the best viewing experience on the DS's tiny screen.

Wii_Shaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get a dstwo and then watch in .avi format. Converting videos to dpg takes freakin' forever.

I actually second this. After spending over 24 hours converting my video files to .DPG and transferring them on to the SD card, I can tell you right away that .DPG formatting isn't worth the headache, especially now that it's getting harder to find specific homebrew apps to read them due to many of the homebrew sites no longer being hosted or cached.

I have used many different conversion methods and most of them seem to corrupt the audio when converting to .dpg from a MPEG-2, flv or mp4 video file. It has something to do with audio decompression and additional compression when the .DPG file is being made. Perhaps if you are using a program that can create a .dpg file using a separate audio and video file (such as from a ripped DVD). After spending a decent amount of time dabbling with homebrew apps on my DSTwo+ card and converted video files I have found converting to .AVI is a far more effective. This is for two reasons:

The first is the fact that .DPG files, while formatted to the DS' hardware specs always seem to have problems when converting larger files. Even if you do get a .DPG with properly compressed audio, I have seen longer videos lose sync with the audio as the media continues to play. After going through the trouble of converting or re-rendering, it's not what you are looking for nor worth your time. And yes, being a proprietary format for NDS, the media conversion takes longer than converting to, say, a .AVI file. Both of which are container formats, btw @Foxi4

The Second reason I recommend using .AVI on your card is because it can be rendered/ converted to 240x180 (roughly the DS' resolution) taking up a smaller amount of space and will be compatible with your other devices. Basically, it's a more flexible video format, conversion and rendering takes less time, the media files are relatively small and they play just fine on the DS with the proper homebrew app.

If .DPG files work for your card, software and files USE IT! The .DPG files are smaller and take up less space on an SD card, giving you more room for games and homebrew.

Sorry if this post is a bit long in the tooth but I have spent too much time trying to optimize my videos and I wanted to share my findings :)

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
now that it's getting harder to find specific homebrew apps to read them
Moonshell hard to find? o.o

being a proprietary format for NDS, the media conversion takes longer than converting to, say, a .AVI file. Both of which are container formats, btw
The .DPG files are smaller and take up less space on an SD card

They certainly are containers but while AVI can have pretty much anything between uncompressed RGB and h265 (most likely, in this context and in general, MPEG-4 Part 2 aka divx/xvid), but a DPG is pretty much forced to use MPEG-2 (if not 1)...

...so it's very weird that DPG is smaller (maybe you're not encoding the AVI with comparably very low bitrate MP3 sound?)

That the official DPG encoder bundled with Moonshell can easily be beaten (for example by not going through two intermediate files, upgrading the engine to a modern version of ffmpeg and actually taking advantage of it, or just not freezing randomly if multiple videos are queued), well, it's a fact :)

ReneGonzalez

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
i need a FREE (Note the Free!) DPG Converter (notw the DPG!) That can convert mp4's (Note MP4's too!).
So FREE DPG converter that can convert MP4's into DPG. Also make sure this converter can convert big files (2.5GB big), long videos (up to 3 hours), high quality (1080p), and high framerate (atleast 30 FPS (if not achievable, its ok.) Thanks!

Remember:
  • FREE
  • DPG
  • MP4
  • HIGH QUALITY VIDEO
  • LONG VIDEO
  • BIG FILES
I own a DSTWO and a DSTWO+ flashcart that i purchased from ebay about three years ago. The prices on these cards go up every single year that passes. I use 400GB and 256GB SanDisk Ultra microSD cards with them. You have to format the MicroSD cards to the FAT32 file system by using free online downloadable tools. The stock windows 7/8/8.1/10 in-built formatting tool does not allow you to format MicroSD cards of this capacity or larger to FAT32, only NTFS and exFAT which are not compatible with the DSTWO or DSTWO+. These flash carts contain processors that are many times more powerful than to the stock Nintendo DS processor.

The only reason to buy the more rare and expensive plus (+) version is if you plan to play Super Nintendo roms which require a higher CPU frequency to achieve a truer skip free and audio synch SNES emulation experience. Do consider the fact that the DSTWO+ consumes more battery and gets a tad more warm. The free downloadaple software for these flashcarts come with both Moonshell and DSTWO player for video playback. Moonshell is limited to DPG videos but the DSTWO player can play back .WMV WIndows Media Video, .MKV Matroska Video, .MPG MPEG1, .MPEG MPEG2, .AVI Audio Video Interleave with XviD and DivX codecs. .MP4 and .AVI with H.264 and H.265 codecs do not work which is a real shame but what do you expect for such old and vintage technology. The aspect ratio on the video files can be as large as 720x480, the software converts the aspect ratio to the original DS screens 192 pixel ratio in real time.

In my opinion the .MPEG MPEG2 format offers the best size to resolution ratio on these flashcarts.The .MKV Matroska Video format offers the best resolution but the file sizes are insanely large. The .WMV Windows Media and .MPG MPEG1 formats are sort of a middle ground based on resolution. Another advantage of using the DSTWO flashcarts is the ability to playback videos with higher framerates and bitrates. 30 frames per second with 1,400KBPS video bitrates are playable and offer insanely crisp and skip free video playback compared to the archaic .DPG video format. Videos with higher bitrates than 1,400KBPS are playable but they tend to skip a couple frames every 10 to 15 seconds.

I still use the Moonshell program mostly for its superior audio playback interface and features (listen to music while viewing photos and browse files with while the music keeps playing.) The DSTWO audio playback software is insanely limited and clunky compared to Moonshell. I own the DS Lite, DSi XL and NEW DSi XL and i have compared both the audio quality and video playback quality. The DS Lite wins hands down for its more powerful audio levels (about twice as loud) and increased frequency range (more high frequency KHZ trebble.) The DS lite screen has a higher color palette and truer contrast ratio.

I know that a modern day OLED android based Lenovo or ASUS ROG gaming smartphone is able to obliterate a Nintendo DS Lite/ DSTWO setup but i bet whoever is reading this is more interested in the nostalgia factor and (Retro Punk Rebel) concept of using a DS Lite device in the here and now. If you still use a screen modified ATARI Lynx or SEGA Game Gear in the here and now you know what i am talking about.

Remember:
  • FREE
  • DPG
  • MP4
  • HIGH QUALITY VIDEO
  • LONG VIDEO
  • BIG FILES

77Urmel77

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I recommend DPG4X 3.0. It´s a very easy to use converter; works with Win10. I don`t know if it does mp4. Maybe you need to convert to another video-file-format first.
USER GUIDE:
Dpg4x relies on mplayer/mencoder to do it's work, so any video file playable with mplayer can be converted to DPG.
https://www.gamebrew.org/wiki/DPG4X

Last edited by 77Urmel77,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo