jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Herp derp drama. I use linux because I like to. I got the crossover thing because I wanted to. I dualboot with a 28GB Win7 partition because I can. Why I wanted the crossover thing?
- It's fucking free, why not.
- Because fuck Windows (Think I'm going to elaborate? Well no, I'm not. Have fun with my bullshit opinion)
- Because fuck Mac (Thinking I'm not going to elaborate? Well I will. Because fuck it)
- Eroge
- Most doujin games that I can think of
Want the REAL reason why I want to try it?
Notice the last two things there? Eroge and doujin shit? Yeah, they don't run all too well in Mac and Linux. Why not use Windows you say? Because Windows is shit and unless I attempt reinvesting tons of time again into looking at making a custom Windows7 install again, it's going to take up multiple GBs more than on Linux just to run. Why is this space required? BECAUSE EROGE AND DOUJINS TAKE A SHITLOAD OF SPACE (given enough time).
"But dumbfag, you are dualbooting, fucking just use windows," to which I reply no. I dick around with shit on my linux box and I need it to test my random scripts or just change what I want it to look like. I don't want to be playing my game, notice something as genius, RESTART just to add it, and then RESTART again to go back to playing. SO, why not virtual machines? BECAUSE THEY TAKE FUCKING RESOURCES that i could be using for my eroge.
So, the final thing to take away from this post is, "Shit, people have weirdass opinions sometimes. Now isn't the time to get the fuck up in arms about certain ideas and aim to shoot down everyone else's fucking opinions. Maybe I should consider their situation, why they want the set up they want, THEN destroy their reason unless they are just unreasonable retards".

Just something I noticed while actually reading the thread:
Foxi4, what if there is an application that works just as well in Linux/Mac as it does in Windows, but requires crossover/wine/bootcamp in order to run? Rebooting just for using one or two programs that could be running just as well somewhere else sounds kind of retarded. Most people who swap to a different OS probably DO mostly use the programs available to their platform, but there are some programs that don't have equivalents to Windows programs. For short example: Linux doesn't have any real professional quality sort of video editor that could rival something like Vegas or w/e else I am totally blanking on, and some people are happy with using linux stuff for everything else, but there isn't really a good alternative for linux. Dualbooting would mean losing the ability to work with anything BUT the current project that requires the Windows program and sometimes a person has to work with other files and possibly tweak them as well while working with the project. This could possibly entail having to constantly reboot the machine just to deal with all of the resources used just because you just happen to need a more professional video editor. Virtualization is a resource hog in both hdd space and usage, and not exactly the best idea. Dualbooting has the issues above. And sometimes there are uses to having the ability to run programs meant for other platforms. One reboot is fine, two probably still ok, but consider if you had just one program that didn't have an alternative for your platform and it wasn't a program just like "Oh, well just do everything in this program and then I'm done", but required other bits and pieces, all of which you can do just fine on your current platform. Sure you could just get all the programs you need for that one platform and just whenever you need to do your shit, you reboot and do it all then, but some people have preferences towards some programs or there are some programs that just seem to WORK while others don't. Crossover/wine/bootcamp allows people to pick and choose programs regardless of the platform and somewhat bring the optimal programs across the different platforms closer. Granted it's not perfect, but for some people, it is a better alternative than dualbooting like myself, or going with an OS they don't want to just to get the job done.
I'm happily fine with dualbooting because what I use on Windows is mostly just games, not games from steam or indie bundles or anything, but just small doujin games (and some not so small :/) that don't have linux ports, and personally, I don't like using wine all too much because of its messy compatibility. Aside from that, Archlinux has everything that suits my needs and I like most of the alternatives to Windows applications that I have.

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
People have their own opinions and preferences... So what if they prefer Crossover/WINE or anything of the like over Windows? That's their choice and they shouldn't have to justify it. Not to mention it has little to no effect on your everyday life...

Plus, it was free.. Why argue?

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i've used crossover for little things not available on the mac, like some of the tools for wii. i rather have that than boot up windows.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM