FRAPS

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got FRAPS screen recorder and each minute of in-game footage takes about about 1GB! What is up with that?! I understand that you can change the settings but then the quality gets really degraded. How can the size possible be this big? An entire HD movie/game can sit on an 8GB disk easily. Why is 1 minute of video take up 1GB? I tried numerous ways of compressing it but each resulted in color loss and or big time quality loss. Is there a good way to compress or get good quality without big file sizes?

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
FRAPS is already trying it's best to compress the video as much as possible while also capturing the screen so you're lucky it's not any bigger(RAW video?).

QUOTE said:
Why is the AVI movie generated by Fraps so big? How can I reduce the size?

The filesize is big because there isn’t enough time to encode the movie while the game is running. The movie frames are slightly compressed, but still require a large amount of disk space due to the high resolutions. Once you have finished capturing you should convert the saved AVI into one of the popular compressed movie formats such as mpeg or divx. Recommended programs for doing this are tmpgenc (Tsunami Mpeg Encoder), and VirtualDub.

Using VirtualDub is quite easy. To create a compressed version of the AVI follow these steps:

* Start VirtualDub
* Select File->Open and choose the AVI in the Fraps directory you wish to compress.
* Select Video->Compression and choose the codec you wish to compress with (usually divx)
* Select File->Save As AVI and specify a filename for the new AVI.

If you have Windows XP you can also use Windows Movie Maker to compress the video files. If you use Windows Movie Maker it's recommended that you keep your Fraps video files at 800x600 or under.

Directly from the FRAPS FAQ.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo