found this weird pins on micro sd card

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by migles, Apr 15, 2014.

1. migles
    OP

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    picture is anexed, i found this micro sd card had a sticker and i removed it, and underneat the sticker was this pins forming a square

it was used for testing, programming, wiping, assembly? i am curious about them...

i own another 2 micro sd cards and they don't have this sticker or pins, its just plain plastic, also this card is old and its deffective... can't format, every card reader i own is unable to read\write on it..

p.s. sorry for image quality, my old phone fault...

Attached Files:

2. B4rtj4h

B4rtj4h Gaming addict #2 and some

Apr 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    Bikini Bottom
    These are the points were they are manufactured with. Some more expensive cards shield these points under the case. Cheaper cards use a sticker. I have no clue if you can actually read or write trough these connections.
    Does the card still show up?

3. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I think their programmer points to program the microcontroller.
    Seeing it's under a sticker, the card most likely got reprogrammed once by some shifty chinese reseller that upped the capacity to 16 GB from its original 2 GB.
    Ofcouse the latter might not be true, so take it with a grain of salt.

Personally, I'd bin it.
    Or make a necklace out of out c:
    Whatever you wish~

B4rtj4h likes this.
  4. B4rtj4h

B4rtj4h Gaming addict #2 and some

Apr 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    Bikini Bottom
    :P You need more then just 1 for a necklace! But I <3 the creativity!

5. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Drill a small hole between the contact pins and fix a lil bit of stripped kynar wire trough it.
    Make a lil eye and hang it on a bit of thick string you nicked from your mum.

Easy and techy c:
    Also plus points for being a nerdy accessory.

Edit:
    Or collect a bunch and daisy chain em into a necklace c:

Sicklyboy likes this.
  6. migles
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    hey dinoh! the card is a 2gb sd, it never worked fine, it was bought with a phone and the phone sometimes i could save stuff on it, other times it didn't, at the time we didn't cared about is warranty, then we forgot about this card and now its better to forget it, i was curious about the pins since no other micro sd card i have had theese...

i don't have a normal micro sd reader right now, but on most devices it shows up, but it makes the mobiles hang or freeze, in the weird reader i have on my computer (using a 3g pen as a reader) the windows explorer gets stuck on "loading" the my computer page...

7. DinohScene

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Well it could be a legit card (reporting its true 2GB capacity) but you'll never know.
    Since it never worked properly, I think that it's just a cheap card which had a lot of problems with its flash chip.

If you're worried about your other cards, run h2testw on it.
    It'll fill your microSD with data and until it can't fill anymore (even beyond it's reported capacity)
    It's a great tool to find out if your flashchip is in a good working order or if you got a genuine or fake card.

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    See "bed of nails tester"
    Also see

Shorter version of the above (though if you aspire to one day call yourself a hacker I would suggest watching that video, twice)
    SD cards contain onboard processors that are often actually full processors with real instruction sets (ARM stuff like mentioned in that video is what powers android, the GBA, the DS, the 3ds and various iDevices).They also contain controllers to help sort out dead sectors and a lot other other things that a SD card might need to sort out. As such initial programming and maybe post failure analysis is a nice thing to have.

migles, Sicklyboy and DinohScene like this.
  9. migles
    OP

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    FAST6191 I was aware about HDD had a firmware\system for sorting damaged sectors and remaping them, i read some stuff before which i learned that when you bought an old HDD you had a sticker with the dead sectors wich you had to manually input on the computer
    i didn't know sd cards was pretty much the same, and i couldn't imagine having a chip on it besides the memory transistors, its so tiny...

10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Page 160 of http://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...rd-gen-core-family-mobile-vol-1-datasheet.pdf
    Contains the Intel Ivy Bridge mechanical specs.

That family includes a die (otherwise known as the brains of the operation, much of the rest being things to get the signals out) that measures 7.65mm x 12.85mm

You would probably agree that the Ivy bridge chips are full on desktop processors containing all that they do (no small amount in the modern world, it almost borders on system on chip and would really worry a lot of old north bridge makers, or would if Intel was not most of the market itself).

11. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Getting smaller and smaller until they stop measuring in nanometres and start using picometres.
    And for reference, Broadwell will be using a 14 nanometre process. Ivybridge was using 22nm.

12. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    My genuine 64GB SDXC Sandisk bought locally at a major retailer last week has such a sticker, as does my very old 1GB Kingston. My 4GB SDHC Sandisk has no such thing, though.