Hacking Found a 3DS crash? Post it here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
OK, so first of all I'm just going to say; I have no experience in hacking whatsoever, nor do I know much at all about what needs to be achieved in order to hack the 3DS. But what I have picked up from all these 'I think I found an exploit' threads is that one way to hack the 3DS would be to find some sort of crash that allows us to intervene and do... something. (I did warn you I don't have a clue :P) Also, before you all start raging at me saying how this will never work, that's not helpful and I will report any posts that do so. Give the thread a chance, it's better than nothing.

Seeing as no one is (publicly) working on hacking the 3DS I thought our community could help in some way - even if none of us have a clue what we're doing. So, I have created this thread in order to list all the possible exploits that could exist from crashes that people have found (I know there's quite a lot).

If you find a crash, first of all stop and try to remember what you have just done. If you have recently dropped / washed the cartridge, hit the 3DS very hard etc. that doesn't count as a crash - you just broke it. Otherwise, look through this first post to see if someone else has already submitted it. Then do one of the following:
  • If the crash has already been reported: Copy and paste the reported crash and confirm it as 'working'.
  • If the crash has not already been posted: Try to replicate the crash. If you can successfully replicate it at least once then you can report the crash in this thread using the following format:

[Game name] - Steps to follow in order to achieve the crash - What the crash achieves (ie black screen, freeze etc.)

Below I will keep an updated list of crashes and whether they have been confirmed or not.

Green = The crash has been confirmed by at least 2 other members.
Red = The crash has been reported but unconfirmed / only confirmed by 1 other member

(Eventually I will sort the crashes into whatever categories are most suitable).

Possible Exploits

[Internet Browser] - Go to http://3dsexploit.webs.com/ - Freezes, reboot required
[Kid Icarus / SM] - Eject, insert and eject the cartridge again - Headers and icons disappear and system freezes upon launch of software
[Link's Awakening DX] - Kill 2 enemies, enter doghouse (watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=RCyhUTpdWB8#!) - Freezes, reboot required
[Metroid] - Enter password "ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER" - Freezes, reboot required

Edit: Also, if there is anything else that should be included in the crash report please say and I will add it to the requirements.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I think this is what the hacking theories thread was for?

That's more for people who think they can hack the 3DS using a Spiderman Mii etc. This is for listing crashes specifically in order to highlight / help people who would know how to hack it.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

That's more for people who think they can hack the 3DS using a Spiderman Mii etc. This is for listing crashes specifically in order to highlight / help people who would know how to hack it.
Its...the same thing, though. Crashes=hacking theories. Wasn't that why it was made? Cuz of like, those ambassador title crashes or whatever? People kept on posting them so we made the hacking theories thread...or maybe I'm mistaken? I dunno.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Its...the same thing, though. Crashes=hacking theories. Wasn't that why it was made? Cuz of like, those ambassador title crashes or whatever? People kept on posting them so we made the hacking theories thread...or maybe I'm mistaken? I dunno.
People posting in this thread are not required to have any clue as to how to hack the 3DS at all. It is purely to help hackers that do know what they are doing. Plus, in this thread I will keep the first post updated so it is easy to read rather than scrolling through 48 pages filled mostly with stuff of little relevance.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also if you get an older flashcart it'll crash.

Wait, I had a really weird one. It was like when you boot an old flashcart, but it was a fully updated Acekard 2i.
It corrupted or something, so I should have gotten the "system file is missing" message. But I didn't.
So, I took it out again. Turned my 3DS back on. Put in the cart. CRASH
Turn it back on with the cart still in. CRASH
And again, turn it on with the cart out and put it back in. Then it stopped, for whatever reason.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country

Wait, I had a really weird one. It was like when you boot an old flashcart, but it was a fully updated Acekard 2i.
It corrupted or something, so I should have gotten the "system file is missing" message. But I didn't.
And again, turn it on with the cart out and put it back in. Then it stopped, for whatever reason.
Could you be more specific about the crash? Did the system menu just freeze? Or did you actually get to a boot screen of the AK2i?

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, a crash doesn't automatically equal EXPLOIT. All the system does is lock up because it's been interrupted in some way or it's unable to run whatever code it's supposed to be, as opposed to an actual bug or vulnerability that can be used to run foreign code.

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Could you be more specific about the crash? Did the system menu just freeze? Or did you actually get to a boot screen of the AK2i?
No, it shows the error that you get if you try to boot an older flashcart on a 3DS.
I actually already said that. And no, I don't know how it happened.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You know, a crash doesn't automatically equal EXPLOIT. All the system does is lock up because it's been interrupted in some way or it's unable to run whatever code it's supposed to be, as opposed to an actual bug or vulnerability that can be used to run foreign code.
Yes, I'd figured that much. But that's not to say that a crash couldn't lead to an exploit. Which is why I've decided to list the lot.

@Janthran, In which case that's not a crash isn't it? Just an error that the 3DS gives to all (outdated, and for some reason this AK2i) flashcarts.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I say you include CollosalPokemon's explanation of a crash that could cause an exploit, that way people don't fill this thread with stupid "I PUT MY 3DS IN THE WASHING MACHINE AND WHEN I TURNED IT ON IT CRASHED!" crap.

Which would only work if Nintendo didn't catch the error. This video shows the error was caught, and therefore the banners were not shown. If the system did NOT catch the error it would lead to a BSOD or error code...

It's like saying you can safely break into a bank while making a ton of noise and stepping loudly. (if you do that you get caught and cannot rob the bank)
Exploits only work when there is an error which is not caught.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You should make a requirement that the crash must be able to be manipulated some way i.e. the crash is based on specific data being input, rather than just "if you pull out a game card, it crashes" or "if you press all the buttons at the same time and touch 4 points on the touch screen, it crashes" or nonsense like that. In the case of the internet browser crash, it can be manipulated by changing the site that crashes it (i.e. modifying the page's code). In other crashes it could be that editing a specific file on the SD card causes a crash - this can be manipulated by editing the file causing the crash.

Hope you understand what I mean, and for the record, I also think this sort of thing should go in the "Awesome 3DS Hacking Theories" thread.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
basically if you get a screen simular to this

note it, take picture, explain how you got there

errorsvq.jpg

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm with some of the others here... the "3DS awesome hacking theories" was sticked for a reason, and this thread is nothing but an arbitrary sub-section of that thread. It should be either locked or streamlined with 3DS hacking theories, imo.

jrk190

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Earlier, I tried the glitch that caused the hypervisor to not display the game, and the 3DS froze. It played music normally, but I couldn't do anything. I'm sure it's nothing though.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
basically if you get a screen simular to this

note it, take picture, explain how you got there

--snip--

So anything that freezes without an error code (even if it is reproducible) is worthless? :unsure:
Yes. That was the whole point of SifJar and everyone else in that other thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"