Hardware Formatting a PNY SD card for 3DS use

The_CFW_Noob

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a 16 GB PNY SD card for my 3DS so i can fit a few large size games on there. I put the SD card in the DS and it said something like “cannot read the SD card”. I then assumed that i needed to format my new SD card to FAT32 but when i try to format it on my laptop it doesnt even come up with FAT32 in the format option window, it comes up with NTFS, FAT and exFAT. I tried to format the PNY card to FAT but it says windows couldnt complete the format. I even downloaded a FAT32 formatter tool and i still cant format the PNY card. Is there any soloutions?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Maybe the SD and/or the reader in the laptop is faulty. 16GB SD should come pre-formatted as FAT32 and the official SD formatting tool should use also use FAT32:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Try formatting the SD with any filesystem and check it with h2testw.

Edit:
Thanks @TurdPooCharger ; badly expressed. Better:

and the official SD formatting tool should also choose FAT32 because the card is ≤ 32GB

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe the SD and/or the reader in the laptop is faulty. 16GB SD should come pre-formatted as FAT32 and the official SD formatting tool should use also use FAT32:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Try formatting the SD with any filesystem and check it with h2testw.
That program is meant to fix a badly formatted SD card or one that's not recognized by Windows File Explorer. If the SD Association's own program doesn't revive the card, nothing else will.

A correction about SD Memory Card Formatter. Its drawback is that it doesn't allow you to choose FAT32, NTFS, or ExFAT. Anything larger than 32 GB is automatically formatted in ExFAT. I was mistaken about this once too!!!

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

The_CFW_Noob

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ok thanks, I will try this now

EDIT: The formatting tool didn't work so I assume that I should just give up and buy a new SD card. I was thinking about getting a Sandisk Ultra Plus 16 GB card but I want to ask here before getting another SD card because I don't want this situation to happen again. Should I get a Sandisk Ultra Plus 16 GB card. All I want to know is if they work

@TurdPooCharger
@KleinesSinchen

Last edited by The_CFW_Noob,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ok thanks, I will try this now

EDIT: The formatting tool didn't work so I assume that I should just give up and buy a new SD card. I was thinking about getting a Sandisk Ultra Plus 16 GB card but I want to ask here before getting another SD card because I don't want this situation to happen again. Should I get a Sandisk Ultra Plus 16 GB card. All I want to know is if they work

@TurdPooCharger
@KleinesSinchen
Sandisk is a well-known brand. The problem is: There are many fakes and shitty SDs out there – no matter what brand is printed on them. Even normal retailers have sold a bunch of fake SDs without even knowing. Plus: Manufacturing defects can occur (I guess this is the case with your PNY card: OOBF: Out-of-box failure).

That is why you should always check a new SD with h2testw before trusting it.

The 3DS is not very fast in reading/writing from/to SD so you won't need some super-mega-ultra-highspeed thing. Just buy another SD and do the test. With only 16GB chances are good that there are no fakes anymore because 16GB is very small and cheap nowadays.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://a.co/d/9xDkOHc lol living on the edge