Force 480p in GC games on a Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Critical_Impact, Aug 2, 2007.

Aug 2, 2007
  1. Critical_Impact
    OP

Member Critical_Impact GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    I have heard that QOOB and other mod chips could force some NTSC games to go 480p like Killer7. Is this possible to do on a Wii? I have a wiikey.

2. Sick Wario

Member Sick Wario Club Nintendo

United Arab Emirates
    my backups of f zero gx, smash bros, mario sunshine and mario tennis all work with progressive ON using wiikey

if the game was not designed with 480p i dont think it can be forced to work. maybe through an external up-converter?

3. Critical_Impact
    OP

Member Critical_Impact GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Here is my second question. I have a http://www.mayflash.com/vgabox/vga001/vga001.htm
    Basically it converts the component to VGA and I can play with component on my monitor.
    I can run Smash Brothers in Progressive Scan and it works. But if i enable 60hz mode on Sunshine it says out of range on my monitor. Does anyone know why it does this?

4. Kadaw

Newcomer Kadaw Newbie

United States
    60Hz mean 480i and this is not progressive (480p). your monitor cannot display interlaced signals. i have the same vga-transcoder box and the same problems with the majority of the gamecube games and some wii games, which cannot be displayed in 480p.

5. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Same problem as with the XCM 1080p; http://ps3.scorpei.com/XCM_1080p.html

6. Cyberdude93

Newcomer Cyberdude93 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    1. Run the GCOS program on the Wiikey config disc
    2. Swap for the game you want to play when it prompts you to
    3. It tells you which button to press on your Gamecube controller for different video modes. 480p/Progressive scan is an option

Trust me, it's more obvious when you try it.

One snag is if after step 3, a game asks you if you want to play in 50 or 60Hz, it then changes back from 480p to whichever mode you choose. The way round this is to "disable" 60Hz mode; if you choose 50Hz one time at these prompts then it won't ask you again until you next boot a game holding the B button down.

Hope this helps.