Hacking For those thinking about getting a Chinese G6 Lite

kid sampson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like everyone else who has ordered a G6 lite, I had my doubts when the vendor sent me an email about the version being in Chinese; still, I was tired of waiting and decided to take my chances. After all, I had managed to play numerous import games throughout the years, always seemingly able to find a translation guide somewhere on the web. I got my G6 lite this week, and I couldn't be happier with the purchase. Everything works without fail.

To clarify some of the questions I have seen asked numerous times in this forum:

1) Can the Chinese version be switched to English?
Yes, if you want to downgrade. I've done so, and after seeing the English text, it would be extremely simple to now navigate the Chinese menu. After all, there are only a handful of options, most of which are obvious. The pull-down menus simply take you to the different modes. Press Y for the GBA mode, and everything there is in English with photos anyway. To run DS games, you simply touch them with the stylus. There are images there, too, along with the American names, considering they are US roms. Additionally, roms can be renamed when being added to the card through the software.

2) Does the card save automatically?
So far, I haven't done anything special, and all my saves are there. Just like playing a commercial game. When I get tired of playing a game, I boot back out to the menu using all of my buttons and reload another. This has never affected any of my saves, DS or GBA. Nothing to worry about here; it takes care of everything for you if you stop overthinking it.

3) Is the Chinese version difficult to use?
Far from it. It couldn't be simpler. Besides, everything you need to transfer games is on your PC, and everything in that software is English. If you know how to read and push a button, you're already a pro. Write, Read, Delete. How hard can that be?

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Finally someone's said it. this should hold off people who try to notarize every single flaw of the card to promote their own like martin88 for a while.

Picolo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Are you sure you got the (chinese) final version?

Did navy, ice and white NDS case come with it aswell as a white GBA-case?

The G6 Lite doesnt get corrupt if you remove it from the USB-burner when its connected to the PC?

If the english version is more expensive I think a lot of ppl will consider the chinese version..

kid sampson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, the chinese version. Even the packaging is in Chinese. Included in the round tin was the USB burner, a navy, ice, and white DS case as you say, and a white GBA case. My lite hasn't had a problem with corruption when unplugging it. I always make sure I make an extra click to safely remove the hardware. When I do this, the operating light on the USB dongle goes off (it's blue) and I remove it. I think some may just be jerking that thing out without taking that extra few seconds. Maybe they haven't noticed the LED on top. Who knows. I think the problems have resulted from user error, honestly: someone deleting files and formatting cards, etc. It's good to go out of the box. The only thing you might need to do is update the firmware if you wish, but that's a simple drag and drop and a few button presses on the DS itself.

Also, I did go in and delete the PDA folder, which was all in chinese (on both versions of the G6 lite, I'm told). Seeing as I have no use for it at present. Afterwards, I think I added another 5 or so games to my card with the freed space.

Picolo

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for your answers.

How long does it take to write to the cart, say a 512mbit (64mbyte) rom or filling the whole card with roms.

I don't even know what PDA is, what is it
biggrin.gif

sirdaver

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
after seeing the English text, it would be extremely simple to now navigate the Chinese menu

You make an excellent point. It makes a lot of sense to run the old beta version to learn the menus in English, then you'd know where you need to go using the updated Chinese version. Unless they make some major changes, you'd probably never look at them anyways.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get your G6 Lite? Would you buy from them again?

Thanks for your comments!

Weej

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This post only makes me happier that I decided to go with the flow and purchase a chinese G6.

I CAN'T WAIT TILL IT GETS HERE.

Like I originally presumed, if you're using the G6 for gaming, whether the text is in Chinese or not is of little relevance because the only real difference between the two is the language barrier. Huzzah!

ds6220

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, that does it. I just had to go and order the Chinese version. This was the thread that broke the proverbial back of some sort of beast of burden.......i think it was a bull or something.....wasn't really paying attention. Ordered it from PSXBox BTW.
wink.gif

kid sampson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sirdaver: I ordered mine from winsunx. It was a preorder and there was a waiting period for the Chinese shipment, but they maintained communication (for the most part) throughout the process. I probably received four emails from them confirming the order and updating me on its status. My only complaint was that they neglected to send the tracking number following the email that confirmed shipment. They shipped on Thursday, the tracking number was supposed to be sent Friday, but was not delivered until requested through a follow-up email. I finally got the number on Thursday, but by then the package was already delivered. Perhaps an oversight, as I imagine they were busy getting all the shipments out in the window that was promised. All things considered, I'd order from them again, unless I could find my product shipped for less elsewhere.

Picolo: From Wikipedia: Personal digital assistants (usually abbreviated to PDAs) are handheld devices that were originally designed as personal organizers, but became much more versatile over the years. The many uses and tasks of a basic PDA include many features: calculating, use as a clock and calendar, playing computer games, accessing the Internet, sending and receiving E-mails, use as a radio or stereo, video recording, recording notes, use as an address book, and use as a spreadsheet. Newer PDAs also have both color screens and audio capabilities, enabling them to be used as mobile phones (PDA Phone), web browsers or media players. Many PDAs can access the Internet, intranets or extranets via Wi-Fi, or Wireless Wide-Area Networks (WWANs).

As for the writing to the card, a 512 mbit rom takes about a minute, if that. I never timed them, but it isn't long at all. The smallest ones, the 64 mbit, are written in probably 20 seconds or so. The GBA files seem almost instant. I spent a lot of time choosing what I wanted on my card, but if I had them ready to go and did it back to back, I'd say I could fill the card with DS roms in well under 20 minutes. I know when I delete and add another, the entire process from hookup to reinsertion into my DS is about 2 minutes.

Again, I'm glad I could help, because like I said, I had the same concerns.

anotheruser22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm tempted to go the Chinese version myself. I'm not worried about the interface being in Chinese on the DS side.

Just to confirm is the loading software on the PC in English? And will the future upgrades to the Chinese version be easily available (just hoping I don't have to search through websites in Chinese to find it!!
biggrin.gif
)?

Thanks

vinconair

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chinese version is very very easy to use, even a baby could navigate it.

And yes the PC software is in english, as sampson said u practically have to push the Write button, select your rom and click OK to write to the cart...

No point holding back for the English version, Chinese is here now and its great

Hypnotoad

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Here's a great little video on YouTube that shows how easy it is to move around the G6 screens. Alot of the 'extras' on it like the PDA function, feet to meters, etc seem like just a bunch of filler. All that stuff is pretty worthless to me as I'll just be using the cart for gaming.

click here for video link

I was really planning on just waiting for the US version to be released, but after seeing how easy it is to move around the screens I think I may just go ahead and order a Chinese cart.

Kartel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
1) Can the Chinese version be switched to English?
Yes, if you want to downgrade. I've done so, and after seeing the English text, it would be extremely simple to now navigate the Chinese menu. After all, there are only a handful of options, most of which are obvious. The pull-down menus simply take you to the different modes. Press Y for the GBA mode, and everything there is in English with photos anyway. To run DS games, you simply touch them with the stylus. There are images there, too, along with the American names, considering they are US roms. Additionally, roms can be renamed when being added to the card through the software.

21B.jpg

22B.jpg

23B.jpg

kid sampson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before anyone asks, the game name WRG-TM2J.NDS could also be renamed on the PC software side to anything the user would want.

lazyone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah good post OP. I got the trial Chinese version (only one white case) a couple weeks ago and so far everything is working perfectly. I do only use the DSL to play games though... no movies or MP3s. But like the OP stated, using the G6L is as easy as selecting the game name from the menu and playing normally. All saves work automatically, you don't have to do anything special.

I got mine from Hopebuy... the service was decent. I used PayPal so that took an extra day or so for them to receive my money. Then, it took another day or so to confirm with Hopebuy that I wanted the Chinese version and not the English version. But once he shipped it, it got to my house in 3-4 days which really surprised me.

Anyway, great product though. Maybe one day G6 will opt to include all language versions, when the hype is all over and sales start slowing. But either way I'm completely satisfied with what I have. The only problem now is I have too many games to play
yaynds.gif

corbs132

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a g6 (not lite) and i always left burner in pc and card i qwould just take out and it fucked it up, so a bit of advice for ya.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol