FlashMe Installation

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by CheatingSoi, Mar 25, 2008.

Mar 25, 2008

FlashMe Installation by CheatingSoi at 5:18 AM (944 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. CheatingSoi
    OP

Member CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

United States
    I just flashed my DS because I needed a rush because I was soooo bored and am getting a new DS soon anyways cuz my speakers are going out. I had never done this before and know it is risky and also useless. But I was bored and thought it would be cool to have no Health/Warning Screen. Anyways it turned out sucessfully and its pretty neat (as far as flashing goes) So yup. kinda randomly just posting this.

2. Xeronage

Member Xeronage GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Flashing is no biggy really, and theres no use to it nowadays besides removing the warning screen.

I flashed my DS two months after I bought it, and it took me like 3 minutes to do using a small piece of metal as a bridge.

3. PBC

Member PBC What!? I can change this??

United States
    The only reason I would flash my DS these days is to enjoy better download play functioning. But...I don't do much local DS games anyway....

4. Doggy124

Member Doggy124 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    Same for me.
    Some time it feel frustrated when you want to share game with friend but it freeze [​IMG]

5. dragon574444

Member dragon574444 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Yeah, I flashed mine just to remove the Health and Safety screen. It was pretty easy, and now my DS boots a whole 2 seconds faster [​IMG]
    I haven't tried out the download play yet...

6. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    Here are the reasons I flashed my DS:

1. Health Screen
    2. Built in, true "Passme" code that works with all devices
    3. Bricker Protection
    4. RSA sigcheck removal from download play.

How is it useless?

7. CheatingSoi
    OP

Member CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

United States
    well, useless if you already own a flascart that can already do all this stuff.

btw, what do you mean by bricker protection?

8. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

No flashcart can do bricker protection, RSA check removal, or remove the healthy screen. That's three out of the four mentioned benefits. Besides, the nopass is more convenient as it's either automatic or you just have to hold "select" (for the no autoboot edition).

Flashme writes all the vital firmware data needed for booting to the "protected area" under SL1. So if a bricker comes along and wipes your firmware, you're still safe as you can recover with the code protected by SL1. Unless you of course somehow were shorting SL1 while running the bricker (maybe a fake firmware replacement?).

9. test84

Member test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Iran
    I'm getting convinced to flash my DS:
    1-how risky is it?
    2-Does it involve hardware manipulation of DS or its just software? if yes, is it undo-able?
    3-is it recoverable 100%? even the hardware part?

10. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

1. Depends how you view it. As long as you have a good short you should be fine. Practice shorting out SL1, without installing Flashme, and see if your DS turns off. Make sure you get a very small piece of metal down there, if it shorts out something other than SL1 the DS will turn off possibly bricking it. For the DS Lite, this risk is there, but for the original style DS, it is not.

2. It's just software. But it is not undoable if you brick. However you could try holding ABXY if a bad flash to activate recovery mode, which boots it to a slot-2 card to let you attempt to install Flashme again, but the success of recovery mode depends on how bad your flash is.

3. No. If you do an unrecoverable brick, the chance of recovery is 0%. You'll have to PPFlash your DS, but that is difficult on a Lite.