Flashing Save File Dragon Quest IX

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Anubis, Jul 19, 2010.

Jul 19, 2010
  1. Anubis
    OP

Member Anubis GBAtemp Fan

Portugal
    One question. I'm currently playing DQIX on my CycloDS but since I'm enjoying the game so much I'd like to purchase the original. Now, I don't want to lose my save file since I'm a few hours in. Is it possible to flash my CycloDS save file using SavSender to the original cart? Someone with experience on this subject would be appreciated, thank you.

2. Rascal

Member Rascal GBAtemp Fan

United States
    There are numerous ways to do this. The most effective is to purchase a device called NDS Backup Adaptor Plus, which is a USB dongle that holds a retail cart and allows you to read/write SAVs. Other methods vary in complexity and effectiveness, depending on the retail cart.

For reference, I have used the NDS Adaptor Plus successfully with DQ IX.

3. gumbyx84

Member gumbyx84 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    As Rascal said, easiest way to transfer saves is using the NDS Backup Adapter Plus. Sadly only one online retailer seems to carry them ATM and I'm not sure how reputable they are.

IF you have a DS/DS Lite and EZ 3-in-1(+), you could use NDS Backup Tool to transfer the save. Sadly this isn't perfect as sometimes the saves don't copy over to the retail cart properly and may have issues ripping from/copying to newer retail carts (example: HG/SS). If you don't have a DS/DS Lite or don't want a 3-in-1 for GBA ROM flashing, I suggest going with the NDS Backup Adapter Plus. Believe they are around the same price and the adapter is near-future proof with upgradable firmware.

4. Rascal

United States
    I'm not sure what retailer you are referring to, but I purchased mine at http://consolesource.com and have had no problems with them. I purchased the original NDS Backup Adaptor and then the Plus version. Both transaction went smooth.

5. Anubis
    OP

Member Anubis GBAtemp Fan

Portugal
    Thank you so much.
    I do have a EZ 3-in-1+ so a NDS Backup Adapter won't be necessary. Can someone confirm if this works EZ 3-in-1+? Also, does it make a difference if I write an American Save file to a UK cart? (I'm guessing it won't since you can probably use the same save file for both games)

6. Rascal

United States
    FYI: I used to use an EZ 3-in-1 to backup/restore my SAV files and found the a lot of newer games, starting with Pokemon Platinum didn't work correctly with the tools. That's why I purchased the NDS Backup Adaptor Plus.

Most SAV files I've seen work between regions, but there is no guarantee. I would try your US SAV with a UK ROM before you try to send it to your retail cart.