Flashcarts that don't need "special" MicroSDs

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by bunnybreaker, Oct 16, 2008.

1. bunnybreaker
    OP

Member bunnybreaker GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Hello,
    I am currently shopping for a replacement for my R4 as the spring is bugging me and I'd quite like some more storage space.

Anyway, I remember reading some reviews and previews a while back, and some flashcarts said they could run all games at full speed regardless of which brand MicroSD you use. Does anyone know if these claims are true and if so, which flash carts support this? Have any of you got a flashcart that runs fine on "problem" games with a cheap/generic SD?

Thanks.

2. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Not quite sure but i dont think it matters on flashcart, the game will lag on a slow microsd.

3. TheSpade

Member TheSpade GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    No matter what any flash card manufacturer claims, there could be some issues with speed in regards to what brand of flash memory you use with it. If you are looking for an SDHC-compatible flash card, then there are plenty out there. None have any known issues with the speed-related games, such as the Castlevanias, Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam, etc. The best brand and type right now is the Transcend 4GB Class 6. So, if you go with CycloDS, M3 DS Real, AceKard 2 or SuperCard DS One SDHC, be sure that brand is the one you grab, if you can find it there in the UK.

4. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    Some flashcarts are better than others, but overall MicroSD speed always is a factor as far as I know. Unless you use a cart with built-in memory that is.

I wouldn't worry about it too much though. The games that have problems are Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam and Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin and that's pretty much it.

5. mc1

Newcomer mc1 Member

United Kingdom
    I have one of these (from picstop.co.uk) but the benchmarks suggest the kingston class 4 is faster.

6. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    I prefer cards that have internal memory... no need for Micro/Mini/SD cards...

It's not made anymore, but my G6DS Real is pretty awesome!

7. sepinho

Member sepinho GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    You could opt for the Acekard RPG, which has both internal memory (1 GB) and a microSD slot. It ain't exactly cheap, but the internal memory is perfect for those games requiring fast memory access, while you could use the cheapest microSD available for the rest. Plus, you can always transfer roms between the internal memory and the card slot.

8. rasputin

Member rasputin GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    DSTT or SCDS1 runing DSTT menu or DSTT core based Y's menu have a lot of speed. They can run the vaniaDOS intro at full speed even with crappy sandisk mem cards.

9. mysticwaterfall

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    Adata class 6's are also great. 4 and 8 gig with 0 slowdowns whatsoever here.

10. Slowking

Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Well I can only speak for myself. I have a Cyclo DS with a Sandisk 8GB Class 6 MicroSDHC card and it runs all the problem games without a problem.
    And I've heard that the Acekard2 does so as well. I guess if you get yourself a modern flashcard an a Class 6 MicroSDHC it doesn't really matter which brand the microSD is...

11. MarioBrotha

Member MarioBrotha GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I wouldnt care so much about the speed unless you wana play Tony hawks downhill jam and Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin.