flashcarts refuse to work on my 3DS?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by marksteele, Jun 29, 2012.

Jun 29, 2012
  1. marksteele
    OP

Member marksteele GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    So just recently I've noticed something very odd. Whenever I try to load a flashcart (I have 2 that were compatible with the 4.1.0-8U update). I get the "an error has occurred." message. I haven't been able to test a regular cartage on the 3DS yet but I know for a fact one of the carts was working before the 4.1.0-8U update.

Since then I have updated to 4.2 and applied the firmware update for the supercard but I still get the error on the 3DS.

Could something have happened in that update to actively block my flashcarts?

For reference:

Cart 1: R4I Gold Plus - http://r4ids.com (worked pre-4.1)

Cart 2: Supercard DSTWO - http://supercard.sc (Purchased after I found my first cart wasn't working on 4.1. Contacted the store and they said it tested fine on their 3DS running 4.1)

Both of these carts still work on my DSI XL.

So...anyone have any idea's :P. Gonna try and get a regular game cart and see if that runs fine on my 3DS, hopefully that will tell me a bit more.

2. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    The "An error has occurred" message generally means your flashcard has been blocked by a 3DS update.

One thing you should ALWAYS do is wait and update your flashcard first before your DSi/3DS (unless of course said update doesn't block any flashcard).

Could you tell me how you updated your DSTwo?

3. Ismaw34

Newcomer Ismaw34 Advanced Member

Spain
    If a regular game dosent work, try to format the system. You will lose all the data in the system and i think the eshop account too (?)
    Then test it, it should work
    -Ismaw34

4. marksteele
    OP

Canada
    I used my working DSI XL to update the cart. (put the file onto my microSD card, put the cart in the DSI XL, started the cart, ran the updated, turned off the DSI XL, put the cart in the 3DS ran it, got the error)

I'm going to use the external firmware updater for the gold plus cart once their firmware patch is released as well.

Edit: tried a system format as well

5. Tom Bombadildo

pip
    United States
    Are you 100% sure it was the latest update? The DSTwo is supposed to work on the new update...

6. marksteele
    OP

Canada

yup and when I try to update it again it shows the cart has firmware 1.6. (it also didn't work on 1.5 when the system has the 4.1 update)

7. Tom Bombadildo

pip
    United States
    Try reformatting your SD card with Panasonic SDFormatter, then applying the latest EOS and running the latest update again.

8. marksteele
    OP

Canada
    Tried that, still doesn't explain why BOTH carts don't work. The odds of both going dead at the exact same time is like really low isn't it?

9. Tom Bombadildo

pip
    United States
    Well you say it works on your DSi, so they're not dead. The R4i wouldn't work without an update to it (which, as far as I know, hasn't been released) but the DSTwo should. Either you're doing something wrong, or your 3DS might have an issue.

10. marksteele
    OP

Canada
    That's what I'm trying to figure out. the carts went dead on the 1.4 update. The R4i was working and then the moment I ran the update I got the error message. I know the carts themselves are still working because they work on the XL so that leaves what?

(4.2 doesn't really matter at this point because the carts stopped working at the 4.1 update so them working or not in 4.2 is somewhat moot)

11. marksteele
    OP

Canada
    just wanted to update this, regular gamecarts DO work on my 3ds.

This leaves my to believe that my 3DS is blocking flashcarts for some reason as both flashcarts still work on the DSI but won't work on the 3DS after I updated it.

(so anyone got any possible idea for me)

12. Janthran

Member Janthran Solarian

United States
    Not the eShop. That would just be mean.

13. KazoWAR

Member KazoWAR GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    latest is v1.15 http://down.supercard.sc/download/dstwo/Firmware/Firmware_v1.15_eng.zip

14. marksteele
    OP

Canada
    oh? that would be ironic if the file on their site was wrong lol, I'll give it a shot though and see what happens

what a lot of posters seem to be dismissing is that its TWO cards that are confirmed working that don't work. Not just the supercard.

edit: nadda, still get "An error has occurred. Press and hold the POWER Button to turn the system off. Please refer to the Operations Manual for details."

15. drgnslayers

Newcomer drgnslayers Advanced Member

Canada
  16. marksteele
    OP

Canada
  17. drgnslayers

Newcomer drgnslayers Advanced Member

Canada
    Then, you should try the most recent Evolution OS version for the DSTwo. It is version 1.11 and was released on May 21st, 2012. Of course, it can be found at those two places http://eng.supercard.sc/manual/dstwo/download.htm
    http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/flashcart-files/download-supercard-dstwo-eos-111-5-21-12-f28835.html

18. marksteele
    OP

Canada
    tried that as well, nothing

so I do believe I have managed to stump the GBATemp community O_O. If it wasn't that this was my console we were talking about I would probably be gloating a little by now :P. (however since it is my console *sadface*)

19. Luigi2012SM64DS

Banned Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Canada
    have you tried formatting your 3ds?

20. marksteele
    OP

Canada
    yup