Flash carts for SNES and N64?

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Hey guys, just recently I got myself few Nintendo consoles, amongst all, there were SNES and N64 consoles, so I'm looking into getting flash carts for them!
I have looked around, read some reviews, but figured, it would be best (easiest too), to simply ask here and see if somebody has some experience with any of carts, and what would be best to get......and of course, how much will it cost me!

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Powerpak for the SNES from RetroUSB.
I also want to have one of those but their pricy );

For the N64 I think the Everdrive64 is the best.
But I rather have one with CF instead of SD card.

Both are just drag and drop wich is pretty neat ;D

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Powerpak already has the DSP-1 installed and comes with a 2 GB CF.
I somewhere have read that CF is better then SD for those things.

But since it´s your money it´s your choice to make ;o

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Powerpak is better choic by far compared to Everdrive. Its easier to use , has less issues, and looks nicer. The CF makes for faster loading too. Its well worth the difference if price.

And I would personally suggest avoiding neoflash stuff. There's a looot of extra work and usb linkage bullcrap that make it almost a "last gen" type of cart, if you know what I mean. The Powerpak and Everdrive are easier to use and are improvements in just about every way.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
I really want an N64 cart. The 64Drive was what I wnt but lately Marshallhas been swamped with orders, late, and horrible with customer service...

I'll most likely be buying an Everdrive 64 now, it's almost the same calibur. Although I really wanted to play Dobutsu no Mori and only the 64Drive can play it properly... I hope Marshall gets his shit together, or I won't shell out the 200 for it.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Update!
After talking to some resellers (getting stuff shipped to Croatia, Europe.....quite hard) I decided to go with EverDrive on both carts..
Still have to properly check both, but pictures for now!

424069_342168169153150_100000799096702_892192_1764382712_n.jpg

427147_342168135819820_100000799096702_892191_232204202_n.jpg

I'm extremely satisfied with the quality of the product, it feels actually original, heck, better then original, packaging is awesome!

Reactions: 1 person

kaputnik

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I really want an N64 cart. The 64Drive was what I wnt but lately Marshallhas been swamped with orders, late, and horrible with customer service...

I'll most likely be buying an Everdrive 64 now, it's almost the same calibur. Although I really wanted to play Dobutsu no Mori and only the 64Drive can play it properly... I hope Marshall gets his shit together, or I won't shell out the 200 for it.

The 64Drive UI is a bit more polished (though the latest versions of the ED64 UI looks just great too), and there's less patching to get games working if I've understood it right, but in the end, the ED64 runs everything except for Banjo Tooie, and it's half the price. The 64Drive might be the ultimate N64 flash cart right now, but the ED64 is so close behind that I simply cannot motivate shelling out twice as much for it.

Also, KRIKzz' customer service is nothing short of awesome. He personally gives you support if you run into problems, often within minutes of you asking.

You won't be disappointed, rather the opposite.

---

Stone Age Gamer's kits looks nice, and gives that retail feeling, but my personal opinion is that they're not worth what he charges for them, "expensive stickers" is a thought that comes to my mind. I ordered the bare version of the ED64 without CIC and shell directly from KRIKzz, and bought a donor cart to transplant those things from for next to nothing. The CIC comes in a DIP package, so it's easy to desolder, and the only thing you need to do with the shell is to open up a hole for the SD card in the top, and optionally remove the old stickers. It's done in half an hour if you got some skill with the soldering iron :)

I also have the Super ED, but as I haven't really used my SNES a lot since I got it, I haven't tested it very thoroughly yet. The few games that I did test works flawlessly though. I've played through Super Metroid and Donkey Kong Country from beginning to end, without any issues at all. Also, from the brief testing I did after putting in a DSP1, Mario Kart seems to work perfectly too.

There might however be real reasons to wait for the SD2SNES, even though it probably will land on more than double the price. There are a few really great games that can't be played on a Super ED due to the lack of special chip support, so if you're the die hard type that can't stand playing in emulators, it is for you. Personally I play those games in Zsnes on a modded Xbox, but I'd be lying if I said that I didn't want to try the Star Fox 2 beta on real hardware :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol