Flash cart recommendation?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Einzbern, Jan 6, 2012.

Jan 6, 2012

Flash cart recommendation? by Einzbern at 8:19 AM (629 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. Einzbern
    OP

Newcomer Einzbern Member

United States
    So awhile back I picked up a R4-III for the DS. I didn't do a whole lot of research then, and realize now that was a poor choice. All things considered though, it did fine for me.

This time around I wanted to see what others think of the various 3ds carts. I'm leaning towards the AceKard 2i since I've heard good things about the AceKard. I was also considering the DSTwo, I think it is, since it apparently has GBA compatibility.

2. kevan

Member kevan Imagination rules the world

Australia
    Well if you want GBA compatibility go for the DSTWO. Just don't expect perfect emulation from it. Otherwise the Acekard 2i or the R4i Gold are good choices.

3. Einzbern
    OP

Newcomer Einzbern Member

United States
    How bad is the emulation? GBA compatibility is by no means required for me, just thought it might be kinda nice.

4. kevan

Member kevan Imagination rules the world

Australia
    I don't have a DSTWO personally... but I think it's decent just not like VBA.

5. NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Member NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU Now with extra redundancy!

Australia
    The Acekard is a really good cart for a really good price (about $15 depending where you buy from), but if you want extra features such as GBA emulation a DSTWO will do that, though it does cost a fair bit more (~$40).

The emulation for DSTWO is pretty good... for some games though you will need to enable frameskip to level 1.

6. Einzbern
    OP

Newcomer Einzbern Member

United States
    Thanks for the help guys. Think I decided I'll just go for the AceKard.

Now my last question. I already have my 3ds updated to 3.0.0-6. Do I need to worry about getting a pre updated one(I don't have access to another DS), if so where can I find one?

7. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Yes, you do.

Some carts state that they update theirs, but it's not always the latest update.

This one states it;s updated for the 3DS, but doesn't mention a firmware.
    http://www.etcome.com/product/ak2i-card-for-3ds-dsi-ll-dsi-ds-lite-ds.html

These state 3DS 3.0, but that's not the latest.
    https://www.modchipcentral.com/store/acekard2i-w-free-usb-reader-and-usb-charge-cable.html
    http://realhotstuff.com/acekard-2i-p-319.html

So often you can e-mail the site or whatever and ask if it's really updated for the latest, as I'm not sure if any updates after 3.0 blocked carts again.