Flash cart for the Switch incoming?

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was discovered over 6 years ago, and I'm surprised that you haven't heard of this.
This is what I am concerned about with this flash cart. Legitimate users buying a banned games and not knowing it. The library system where I live has loads of Switch games you can borrow so places like this are prime targets for ending up with banned games and no knowing it until someone borrows one that is. Also used markets will be flooded with them too.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is what I am concerned about with this flash cart. Legitimate users buying a banned games and not knowing it. The library system where I live has loads of Switch games you can borrow so places like this are prime targets for ending up with banned games and no knowing it until someone borrows one that is. Also used markets will be flooded with them too.
The same issue arises when a user buys a used console; it could be flagged for a ban and the hammer can be dropped after the person buys said console. People just have to be more diligent when buying used games just like used consoles. Its a small price to pay for people who are dumb enough to do this. However Nintendo would never ban a console that has been caught using a tampered game because Nintendo cannot verify they used the flashcard so their only choice is to ban the game.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The same issue arises when a user buys a used console; it could be flagged for a ban and the hammer can be dropped after the person buys said console. People just have to be more diligent when buying used games just like used consoles. Its a small price to pay for people who are dumb enough to do this. However Nintendo would never ban a console that has been caught using a tampered game because Nintendo cannot verify they used the flashcard so their only choice is to ban the game.
I am talking about banning the game cart only, not the console itself.

The bigger issue is that most people especially non tech savvy people won't even be aware of this stuff and want to save money buying used. It wouldn't be fair to them to buy a used game only for it to later get banned because someone else dumped the game and went online with it at the same time the legitimate user did. They wold have no way of knowing if a game cart they bought was dumped or not and may not even know that a Switch Flash cart even exists. If it wasn't for this site, I wouldn't have even been aware of tis product.

I am talking about the game cart only, not the console itself.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The bigger issue is that most people especially non tech savvy people won't even be aware of this stuff and want to save money buying used. It wouldn't be fair to them to buy a used game only for it to later get banned because someone else dumped the game and went online with it at the same time the legitimate user did. They wold have no way of knowing if a game cart they bought was dumped or not and may not even know that a Switch Flash cart even exists. If it wasn't for this site, I wouldn't have even been aware of tis product.

Outside of getting rid of Mig Switch, there isn't much we or Nintendo can really do about it. But I don't think it'll be as widespread as everyone claiming it to be. The dumper is going to have to be purchased separately and we all know most people are using this for piracy so most people won't be buying the dumper as well as the flashcard. Plus its not entirely convenient to buy a whole stock of games only then to return them without looking suspicious.

More importantly, this already came to pass with SX OS and this was far easier to do with SX OS because you didn't have to buy additional hardware on top of SX OS itself being much cheaper than the Mig Switch alone. Even though Nintendo had to finally ban individual games back then, the secondhand market didn't get flooded with banned used games so its reasonable enough to assume the same won't happen this time.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
However since Mig Switch works on ALL switch models it could be a bigger issue than SX since you needed an unpatched V1 to run SX OS.

Only time will tell if this will be an issue.

G33ksquad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still think Nintendo could focus on the quantity of duplicated carts played, if this become popular it wouldn’t be uncommon for one game to be played on a console that had been duplicated but when you start seeing a console playing only duplicated carts, I imagine that will raise a flag.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still think Nintendo could focus on the quantity of duplicated carts played, if this become popular it wouldn’t be uncommon for one game to be played on a console that had been duplicated but when you start seeing a console playing only duplicated carts, I imagine that will raise a flag.
The thing is that Nintendo won't be able to tell, at least for now, if the game is a legitimate cart or the game running on the Mig Switch as they will both appear legitimate. This is why Nintendo chose to ban the individual cart rather than the consoles when SX OS came out as they didn't want to risk banning a legitimate console.

G33ksquad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing is that Nintendo won't be able to tell, at least for now, if the game is a legitimate cart or the game running on the Mig Switch as they will both appear legitimate. This is why Nintendo chose to ban the individual cart rather than the consoles when SX OS came out as they didn't want to risk banning a legitimate console.
Right, I agree they won’t. But what are the chances someone has say 10 games that have all been dumped, and they bought them all used. I don’t know how it all works but if the carts have a unique ID and a console continually plays games that conflict with other carts that are also online, that may be one way to tell someone is using a flash cart. But this is all speculation. Maybe they have some other way no one knows about.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right, I agree they won’t. But what are the chances someone has say 10 games that have all been dumped, and they bought them all used. I don’t know how it all works but if the carts have a unique ID and a console continually plays games that conflict with other carts that are also online, that may be one way to tell someone is using a flash cart. But this is all speculation. Maybe they have some other way no one knows about.
Which is why Mig Switch is not recommending online play unless you are using carts that are in your possession that you personally dumped and even then they don't know if/when Nintendo will do something about it.

I myself may want to get a Mig Switch but I would only use my personally dumped carts. Even on my hacked Switch I only use games I personally dumped with games I have in my possession as I still don't trust getting dumps from scrupulous sites. Who knows what might be in them. I have a bunch of physical copies and don't want to try to install a mod chip into my never used OLED switch. We'll see what happens when more people start using this product.

Reactions: G33ksquad

remlei

Trophies
XP
Country
injecting certs to a different game is nothing new, SXOS can already do that, what im wondering about is if this flashcart can use a single cert on multiple games, that would be something. Im not going to be surprised if someone buys a game off amazon, extract the cert and return it afterwards, yeah..... maybe is SXOS days this is fine since your only gain here is to get online, but this time, if your goal here is to run the game and dont really care about online. this is going to be a problem, specially on 2nd hand market.

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates

People been dumping XCI since forever so? Where are these so called people who got their carts banned? *sound of crickets*

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
People been dumping XCI since forever so? Where are these so called people who got their carts banned? *sound of crickets*
dude but this card for the first time allows to use rips of OG games on locked consoles without risk of ban(i hope), to do that you need a whole game card rip with certificates, IDs, etc. so ofc it will crate unlucky situations when some not smart enough person will rip game and resale it. IF you use existing pirate xci games you will probbably get banned and you cant use dlc or updates.

Anyway, they are still not selling dumper so this device is pretty much useless and missing the target audience by far. I assume that the target audience are ppl who have a lot of physical games and want to dump them on this card but they pretty much can't witchout dumper sooooooooo yea good luck with buiyng hacked switch to dump your games :toot:

Last edited by Lamcza,

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
dude but this card for the first time allows to use rips of OG games on locked consoles without risk of ban(i hope), to do that you need a whole game card rip with certificates, IDs, etc. so ofc it will crate unlucky situations when some not smart enough person will rip game and resale it. IF you use existing pirate xci games you will probbably get banned and you cant use dlc or updates.

Anyway, they are still not selling dumper so this device is pretty much useless and missing the target audience by far. I assume that the target audience are ppl who have a lot of physical games and want to dump them on this card but they pretty much can't witchout dumper sooooooooo yea good luck with buiyng hacked switch to dump your games :toot:
No, what I said is that the company already banned carts so this adds nothing to what this person is whining about.

Also, I already shared my thought on this and said its a sham.

Reactions: Lamcza

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
im pretty sure that majority of users will just play any game dumps available over the internet and getting perma banned from nintendo online is the least of their concern. probably because they cant really afford that recurring fees for online features from nintendo in the first place.

you can tell that from many owners of ps4 and ps5 jailbreaks.
I only want to jailbreak my PS4 Pro after it's EOL. It's still a very powerful little computer, and I'm excited to eventually take advantage of it when getting banned off PSN is no longer a concern.

Lamcza

Typ tego typu.
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No, what I said is that the company already banned carts so this adds nothing to what this person is whining about.

Also, I already shared my thought on this and said its a sham.
ah yes sorry :D yea, i think tendo will ban the whole consol ofc but i don't think that Pirate xci now have all of the IDs in them have they? And now we are mostly blocking ban passibilities but on the locked system, it will be pretty much impossible.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

The risk of ban has never been zero and it won't be now just because Mig Switch says it is.

I also don't see why anything would change regarding the second hand market. Before Mariko everyone had a hackable Switch and therefore the ability to dump carts and share certs without special hardware, and there was no big uproar about banned used games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and the morning cuz school
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Although tomorrow is Labor Day which means I won't go to class which means I'll sleep well.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    is labor day different in venezuela than in america, or did time skip that far?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm...