flash cart file for kid

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by nintendoagekid, Dec 11, 2010.

Dec 11, 2010

flash cart file for kid by nintendoagekid at 8:47 AM (1,734 Views / 0 Likes) 22 replies

1. nintendoagekid
    OP

Newcomer nintendoagekid Newbie

United States
    I own an m3 real and I most regularly use sakura. I'm getting my sisters flashcarts for Christmas and was wondering if there is a good file system for 6 yr olds more particularly one where they can't screw with internal of it. I won't be there to normaly maintain it. Haven't got the cards yet so options are opened

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Lots of carts have an option to lock menus (like AKAIO can stop the start menu from popping up which means no file deleting or major settings changes) and generally you need to modify the INI by hand on a computer to unlock it, so it's more of a question of what DS model she'll be using and how much you're willing to spend.

3. haddad

Member haddad GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Get an Acekard 2i

4. Dangy

Member Dangy Twisting Your Mind & Smashing Your Dreams

United States
    You could order an R4, which would be limited to 2GB of space, but that should be fine since she is young.

Wood also has the option to lock the start menu.

5. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    There is also the Moonshell2 homebrew that can work with a variety of flashcarts (uses YSMenu/WoodR4 to load roms though), and supposing that you are willing to set it all up, it is actually pretty kid friendly (not much can happen if you use it...the worst that could happen is maybe filling up the microSD with screenshots, but apart from that it is totally safe).

Another alternative would be an iSmart Premium which has an alternative firmware based off of Moonshell2 (called Fishshell2, and has a variety of similarities to the M3Sakura OS) and works wonderfully while still being as kid friendly as Moonshell2 (provided your microSDs aren't as lame as a variety of my cheap ones are).

The only other positive thing I can think of would be that you can test out how kid friendly Moonshell2 is on your current M3Sakura with relative ease, though I can only suggest you use Moonshell2.09 since the only way to load commercial roms with MS2.10 isn't available anymore.

6. nintendoagekid
    OP

Newcomer nintendoagekid Newbie

United States
    Thanks these are really solid options and I can toy around with what I currently own. They only have DS lite's do the "xxi" models work with older DS's?

7. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    All "i" cards work on all DS systems.

Get the R4, it's extremely cheap, extremely reliable, and 2gb is MORE than enough space for a child as it can hold around 20 games. And as others have said, you can lock the menus.

8. mathyuowns

Banned mathyuowns Banned

Australia
    Dstt Cost exactly the same and has even faster updates then the wood cause of RetroGameFan

9. ShadowSoldier

Canada
    Wood 1.19 - December 5th.
    Wood 1.18 - November 28th.
    Wood 1.17 - November 17th.

Post RGF's.

10. mathyuowns

Banned mathyuowns Banned

Australia

drwhojan merged RetroGameFan DSTT/i & R4/i SDHC v6.41 Update 13th December

RetroGameFan DSTT/i & R4/i SDHC v6.41 Update 7th December

I forogt the date for 6.40 but anywhere before that months ago.

11. Evo.lve

Member Evo.lve All that you could be.

Australia
    @mathyuowns you can go fuck your DSTT. It's a pile of shit, I think we've all established that.

If you have a DS Lite, get an Acekard 2.1 or, if price isn't an issue, a Supercard DS2.

If you have a DSi, get an Acekard 2i or once again, if price isn't an issue, a Supercard DS2.

12. ShadowSoldier

Canada
    Anywhere before that? So... you mean it's been months or what? Your english sucks dude. I know it's not your first language, but god damn.

Also, RGF keeps on saying he's not doing updates... while YWG releases them every couple of weeks to play the newer games.. and he's bringing it to other cards.. I wonder who's more reliable. Not to mention you started a lot of threads about the DSTT being dead, you basically bashed the thing every chance you got, and now that RGF is giving updates, you're in love with it again?

13. mathyuowns

Banned mathyuowns Banned

Australia
    Now RGF is back the updates are faster then YWG's even thoguh you have to use ysmenu. RGF Also Does the R4 and M3 Using Ysmenu

14. Evo.lve

Australia
    Stop pushing the DSTT and go shove it up your ass.

Kkty.

15. Etalon

Member Etalon Former Akaio Fanboy

Morocco
    You should really keep in mind that we have a lot of hardcore DSTT fans here, including myself.

It's high tech. No other card can kill fake cards like DSTTi. [​IMG]

16. AndroidDem0man

Member AndroidDem0man GBAtemp Regular

United States
    WOAH BIG WORDS?
    Lolk
    You fail dude. its for a 6 year old.
    A 6 year old could navigate through wood without messing shit up.
    i gave my 3 year old sister a freaking R4 with wood. SHE DOESNT MESS ANYTHING UP.
    She hasnt even deleted anything ( except for save files which are ingame but thats not in this)
    a DSTT is probably an awesome choice for little kids idiot. because it doesnt use any menus. the games come up right away. once its out of the box and has its firmware. they can easily use it already.

My suggestion to this probably would be a r4 with wood. or a dstt.

17. Evo.lve

Australia
    Wut? I forgot R4? Fuck. Yeah, an R4 with Wood is really good.

18. mathyuowns

Banned mathyuowns Banned

Australia
    when it comes to the dstt and r4 they are so cheap that all it matters is if you can play a game and its a 6 year old so the gui for r4 is harder cause its like a ysmenu format with all these things everywhere where is the dstt boots into menu right away and you just srcoll and press A to start game dosent get any simpler RGF updates faster then wood.

19. ShadowSoldier

Canada
    Not if you use the R4 first to get to the games section.. then it stays there. That's assuming it's anything like AKAIO, which it is.

20. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States
    for a 6 year old the wood R4 has safe mode
    and the acekard you can lock the start menu
    just go to globalsettings.ini and add 1 to LockStartMenu
    like this
    CODELockStartMenu = 1