FLAC or WAV?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by jargus, Nov 16, 2012.

Nov 16, 2012

FLAC or WAV? by jargus at 10:54 PM (411 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. jargus
    OP

Member jargus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    From what I can understand both are largely uncompressed formats, but whats the difference between the two? Normally I just use MP3 for the size but an audio project I'm going to be working on (the final product being a CD) so it would be interesting and useful to know what is the best to work with.

2. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    FLAC is a format which can be compressed by design to take up less space should you want to, Wave on the other hand can not. Both formats are lossless, but encoding a compressed FLAC file takes more time than the non-compressible Wave file format.

Personally I would most likely use Wave while editing unless storage space is a scarcity.

3. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    FLAC and WAV descriptions.

From those two, I suppose WAV would be the better solution as you can literally save uncompressed sound.

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    What Minox said although I will note many of the fancier audio editing programs (and if you are going to master it properly then you will probably run into one) prefer wave input so definitely that when playing audio engineer.

For reference CD effectively uses wave and at CD samplerates (48KHz) a stereo track runs what 80 minutes per CD (or 74 if you are cheap) or about 700 megs (out the several hunder gigs I imagine you have at your disposal) so it is not like you are working with uncompressed video which does still take up enough space to have to worry about it.

Anything more and I will probably have to don my audio engineer hat which would be better served by linking up

5. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    FLAC for saving/playback, but WAV for editing since it's a hell of a lot more "accessible".

Sop likes this.
  6. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    FLAC for listening
    WAV for editing/mixing/mastering