jargus

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
From what I can understand both are largely uncompressed formats, but whats the difference between the two? Normally I just use MP3 for the size but an audio project I'm going to be working on (the final product being a CD) so it would be interesting and useful to know what is the best to work with.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
FLAC is a format which can be compressed by design to take up less space should you want to, Wave on the other hand can not. Both formats are lossless, but encoding a compressed FLAC file takes more time than the non-compressible Wave file format.

Personally I would most likely use Wave while editing unless storage space is a scarcity.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What Minox said although I will note many of the fancier audio editing programs (and if you are going to master it properly then you will probably run into one) prefer wave input so definitely that when playing audio engineer.

For reference CD effectively uses wave and at CD samplerates (48KHz) a stereo track runs what 80 minutes per CD (or 74 if you are cheap) or about 700 megs (out the several hunder gigs I imagine you have at your disposal) so it is not like you are working with uncompressed video which does still take up enough space to have to worry about it.

Anything more and I will probably have to don my audio engineer hat which would be better served by linking up

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjy9nc5QwBY