1. Clector

Clector GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Bangladesh
    Just converted the color space of the recording.

NoobletCheese likes this.
  2. NoobletCheese

NoobletCheese GBAtemp Regular

United States

Cool. I also notice you don't seem to have chroma bleeding in those screenshots — did you fix that too?
    Edit: on closer examination there does appear to be some bleeding: [1][2]

On another note, I'm starting to lose faith in running games on original vWii/Wii hardware because of GXNtsc480ProgSoft(). This disgusting function seems to be the main culprit for the general blurriness of the Wii's image. It seems to be somewhat equivalent to GameCube's deflicker filter. It appears that some games do not use GXNtsc480ProgSoft() and look satisfactory to my eyes, eg. Skyward Sword and the Kirby games.

I haven't played with Dolphin yet, but it seems it doesn't suffer from GXNtsc480ProgSoft().
    601/709 shouldn't be an issue if Dolphin is getting RGB from the GPU, otherwise we could fix it with ReShade.
    Plus you get control over aspect ratio issues with some GameCube games.
    Starting to wonder if Dolphin might be the better solution?
    Depends how it feels to play, how much input lag, graphical glitches, stutters etc.
    I will certainly give it a go.

Last edited by NoobletCheese, Mar 9, 2021
  3. Clector

Clector GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Bangladesh
    I only converted the color space, didn't do anything to the chroma, so should still be there.
    As for GameCube games, you can get sharp and control if you use a GCVideo solution plus Swiss.
    For Wii games, if you want the sharpest, Dolphin may be the sharpest, you can turn on or off the deflicker and you have two ways to handle colors so that won't be a problem.
    Dolphin is very developed so you won't find graphical glitches or major ones in most games, for a similar feeling you could use real Wii or GC controllers I guess; for input lag you'll have to play and see, stutters may vary and can be sort of accounted on more demanding games, but you'll need powerful hardware.

4. NoobletCheese

United States
    Got RVL-101 with K01 board, picture seems no different after an hour of subjective analysis.

Still got another 2 things to try:

1. Installing d2x-cIOS and see if that affects/enables Extrems' 480p pixel fix
    2. Try applying the fix via Mario Kart Wii cheat code instead

In the meantime the only way I can make the image tolerable for games which use this horrid GXNtsc480ProgSoft() function is to turn up my TV's sharpness control. This tends to bring the image into focus, but at the expense of ugly ringing artefacts.

Regarding the chroma shift issue on vWii, a convenient test pattern for checking its presence is simply the Wii menu, particularly the cyan outlines around the circles in the bottom corners will have a double edge to it.

Last edited by NoobletCheese, Mar 12, 2021
    trogdon likes this.
  5. NoobletCheese

United States
    I've noticed that vWii's colour bleeding issue disappears when playing Gamecube games with Nintendont if I set video width to a certain value, eg. 666 for Twilight Princess and Mario Golf. [edit: or playing with the horizontal offset setting].

However this isn't a viable solution as the width setting is ignored by some games, eg. Mario Sunshine, and some games will have incorrect geometry when using the setting which eliminates bleeding.

But it may offer a clue that the issue is somehow related to viWidth/viXOrigin.

Last edited by NoobletCheese, Mar 18, 2021
    trogdon and Shahaan like this.
  6. kingjinxy2

kingjinxy2 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Doesn't anyone have Wii U update files or instructions on how to acquire them? :unsure:

7. Extrems

Extrems GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    666 result in a odd viXOrigin, which could result in a chroma shift depending on the implementation. We had this problem before with GCVideo.

8. NoobletCheese

United States
    Yes it seems to be related to viXOrigin, but the bug is dynamic, eg. on the very first launch of Nintendont all I need to do to fix it is set origin to +1, but then if I load certain other games it no longer works, and in some cases operates according to some rules like if the width is a multiple of 8 then it's fixed but only if the game's internal res is also a multiple of 8, or something like that.

9. NoobletCheese

United States
    Are you able to do me a huge favour and find out the same information for the titles Wave Race, Burnout, and Burnout 2? Or even just Wave Race would help.

I'm asking because I suspect those games actually render in square pixels, and if they do, I believe I could then finally understand what the correct viWidth is for any game.

edit: ultimately I'd like to create my own database of games internal resolution and aspect ratio, similar to your Swiss compatibility list wiki. This would allow me to generate a loader config file to automatically set all games to the correct viWidth. If you could help me out with the tools or methodology to discover the internal resolution and aspect ratio of Gamecube games, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by NoobletCheese, Mar 18, 2021
  10. Extrems

Extrems GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Wave Race: Blue Storm: 4:3
    Burnout: 4:3
    Burnout 2: Point of Impact: 4:3

I don't know what makes you think you can solve this.

11. NoobletCheese

United States
    Thank you!
    (see edited post).

12. Extrems

Extrems GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    You need to use a debugger and set breakpoints on VIConfigure, VIConfigurePan, C_MTXFrustum, C_MTXPerspective, C_MTXOrtho, GXSetProjection and possibly more. Swiss' USB Gecko output can tell you where these functions are. There are many holes in Dolphin's signature database.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Fixing,