First trailer for animated 'Shenmue' series released

shenmue animation.png

After being announced last year, we now have our first look at Shenmue: The Animation, an animated series based on the classic Shenmue video game series. The teaser trailer was aired during this year's New York Comic Con and you can watch it below:

Based on the SEGA game franchise, SHENMUE follows the journey of Ryo Hazuki. After he witnesses his father’s murder at the family dojo, Ryo dedicates his life to finding the man responsible—a mission that takes him from the streets of Yokosuka, Japan to the sprawling metropolis of Hong Kong, and beyond. Soon he will learn that larger, mystical forces are at play as he trains to become the ultimate martial artist in his quest for revenge.

Produced by Adult Swim and Crunchyroll, Shenmue: The Animation will comprise of 13 episodes, with series creator and game designer Yu Suzuki acting as Executive Producer for the project. It is expected to premiere sometime in 2022.

:arrow: SOURCE

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>2022

Don't they already have like 3-4 other series that was meant to come out but have been indefinitely delayed? Either way I am sure it will end up on a disappointing cliff hanger to bait interest in another game/continuation that will take years to get around (if ever at all)

xatzimi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I'd love more Shenmue games, I kind of wish the anime gets further series enough to complete the story. The story wants to be a kung fu revenge adventure but it's hard to keep that up when the gameplay is so slow-paced, let alone the time between games. The anime is a more expedient way for Suzuki to tell the story to the end.

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
So will this cover until Shenmue 2? Honestly, I've only played Shenmue 1 and kind of got bored with it when it came out on the DC and dropped it after a few hours.

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
idk.... im conflicted.... I wanted 20 years for part 3 and then it left me hanging.... the anime is .ok? I guess

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why the heck are people so extited about this game, its not even that cool
Back in the day it was an early attempt/example of a "free roam sandbox" experience kind of game. Where there were plenty of minigames and tasks you can do aside from the mainline story and basically do whatever you wanted in the game's town. This was considered amazing and awesome back then given how advanced and rare it was at the time to see it and people got hooked early on to the story as well from it.

That said these days the experience it presents forward isn't anything unique, rare or new anymore. You can find multiple games out there that can do this and more. People who are fans were hooked early on when this was not the case and now just want to see the game's story conclude, which it's creator is taking his sweet ass time on.

I am not a fan of it either mind, but I can see why people flocked to it at the time when it became available on the xbox. (Because no one was buying a dreamcast to play this when it first came out lol)

Reactions: MetoMeto

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is Shenmue worth playing? I recently purchased a Dreamcast, what are your thoughts on it?
Are you aware that the PC port is widely available and sometimes quite inexpensive?

Got to show some side jobs and games.
Yes, give the forklift race the treatment it deserves, complete with drifting and thumping Eurobeat soundtrack!

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Have to dumb down intro speeches for Gen-Z i see... :)

Original:

"He comes from a far eastern land across the ocean,
A young man who has yet to realize his own potential,
This potential is a power that can both destroy him as well as ensure his will is realized.
Perhaps he will achieve the balance that will mark him a man of courage.
The path he must traverse is fraught with adversity and filled with expectations.
I await whilst praying for the realization of this destiny predetermined since ancient times,
A pitch-black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light,
And thus, the saga begins..."

Video:

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over