Hacking First time homebrewing - some many IOS version necessary?

Mist3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Hello,

I'm in process of purchasing my own Wii.

I'm preparing to homebrewing process. I've watched few tutorials and I think whole process is clear to me but there is one step which confuses me: at some point there is need to install many different IOS versions / subversions.

I don't need any emulators just a basic USB loader and GC launchers - at the moment I think only about:
Priiloader
USB LoaderGX / WiiFlow
Nintendont
Wii Mod Lite

Do I really need to install all those IOS versions / subversions?
Is there a compatibility matrix for particular app/IOS version somewhere?

Greetings,
M

JGSHEW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes you need to install cIOS - it's not a very complicated process though, you don't need to install many cIOS's, you only need to install one. The wii.guide website has a good and easy to follow guide on installing cIOS (just google "wii.guide cIOS")

Mist3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Thank you for answers.

I've installed latest USB Loader GX, it works generally ;-) but some of the games doesn't work (black screen etc).
What is best way (best tool) for checking which iOS is required for specific wbfs games?

Greetings,
M

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'd suggest you to follow this guide (I suppose you've already seen it at some point):

https://wii.guide/

I've recently followed it to hack a "new" (as in: not hacked) Wii, with NGC controller ports (the best version you could get IMO), I'm using WiiFlow/USBLoader GX/Nintendont/many emulators, without issues, and just installed the 3 cIOS indicated on THE guide.

I'm not looking forward to personalize it extensively, I'm just willing to play my games and that's it.

Reactions: jeannotte

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
What is best way (best tool) for checking which iOS is required for specific wbfs games?
Configurable usb loader (my favorite) explicitly tells you the original IOS requested by that title (which, if existing, is unsurprisingly often the ideal base to use for CIOS) - this fact is found somewhere inside the disc (in the TMD, I think?) and there should be a PC program to tell you

Of course, this doesn't mean any single CIOS is 100% compatible, you're still forcing titles to run in ways they weren't designed for

Mist3

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Thank you for hints. There is so many different guides so it difficult to chose valid one (for today).

Refering 3 cIOS you mention this particular:
wii.guide/cios ? (sorry I cannot post it direct links here)

Greetings,
M

I'd suggest you to follow this guide (I suppose you've already seen it at some point):

I've recently followed it to hack a "new" (as in: not hacked) Wii, with NGC controller ports (the best version you could get IMO), I'm using WiiFlow/USBLoader GX/Nintendont/many emulators, without issues, and just installed the 3 cIOS indicated on THE guide.

I'm not looking forward to personalize it extensively, I'm just willing to play my games and that's it.

JGSHEW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for answers.

I've installed latest USB Loader GX, it works generally ;-) but some of the games doesn't work (black screen etc).

Greetings,
M

All games run on normal IOS, so there is no “required” cIOS - USB Loader GX itself needs cIOS, but that’s it.

BillyBlaze

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Thank you for answers.

Greetings,
M

Actually some games requires a specific Base of the cIOS to work. (Call of Duty - hanging on loading, Music Games, Worms..) You know that second number you entered when you installed them according to wii.guide. If you followed that guide you have the same CIOS in three different slots - with different base, and some games will require a specific one.

See this page for what to set: https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Wii_cIOS_base_Compatibility_List

There are also some games with special copyright protection (Tintin, driver?), that will need neek (I'm told, haven't tested myself).

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thank you for hints. There is so many different guides so it difficult to chose valid one (for today).

Greetings,
M

Precisely, those 3.

I've even played Skyward Sword without any issue and without installing any other cIOS.

I'd recommend using a USB-HDD for storing your backups instead of a USB-FD (Flash Drive).

Reactions: jeannotte

JGSHEW

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Greetings,
M

Yes, that one exactly. It’s actually one cIOS but you’re installing it into several slots. That guide should be fine

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I always suggest kneepads with wheels to help with knee pain, then I get slapped