first time computer build advise

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by ichidansan, May 22, 2014.

1. ichidansan
    OP

ichidansan GBAtemp Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    United States
    ok, so im pretty much set on what im getting, just sorta want an experienced hand's opinion on the setup.
    asdfasdfasddd.jpg im scrapping ram/hdd from my current comp. and yes 8 cores seem a bit excessive but id like to see how well it would do with video processing and 3d modeling as well as with gaming. any thoughts, opinions or things that i should do to make it work better are appreciated.

2. xcrimsonstormx

xcrimsonstormx He called me a Nerd, I called him an Ambulance.

Jun 9, 2013
    United States
    The Internet
    IF you wanna save some money you could go with a cheaper NZXT case unless your dead set on that one, I've got a white NZXT case that is pretty good that I only paid $50 for, but that's about the only problem I see everything else looks good, although if you wanted you could overclock your graphics to make it a 270x for free saving you about $30.

ichidansan likes this.
  3. ichidansan
    OP

Feb 10, 2010
    United States
    yea, im dead set on the case lol. this will be my first build, so idk much about setting things on over clock and stuff. and with the psu being 550watts that would suffice for all components?

4. xcrimsonstormx

xcrimsonstormx He called me a Nerd, I called him an Ambulance.

Jun 9, 2013
    United States
    The Internet
  5. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Just remember that overclocking tends to reduce the parts lifespan.
    Edit: also, 550W from a good brand PSU is more than enough for single-graphics card systems.

6. ichidansan
    OP

Feb 10, 2010
    United States
    thanks for the info, the reviews on the psu i have selected are pretty good, hoping it'll work the same for me. as long as this build will last a few years and do the other things i want it to do (3d modeling/video editing) in a timely manner with no hiccups then i guess im set.

was also wondering if my current HDD has a factory restore section, could i use that to install windows to this build or do i have to get a new copy?

7. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    If your old computer was an OEM build (e.g. Dell), then it's unlikely to let you restore onto a new motherboard/CPU configuration (Windows licenses are tied to the hardware ID of the motherboard/CPU). If it was a custom build (using a full Windows license), then you may need to reactivate Windows (often done with a quick call to MS) and possibly reinstall the chipset drivers for the new motherboard.

I generally recommend a fresh install of Windows when you upgrade. It removes a lot of crap that tends to build up over the years.

8. ichidansan
    OP

Feb 10, 2010
    United States
    gotchya, anything else recommend for a first time builder? i've got a few friends who've made them, and have been looking at tut's and other guides too. but more of a hands on learner.

9. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    Building computers isn't hard, just take your time in seeing how the parts fit together and put it together. Take a little extra care with the heatsink for the CPU - you only want to attach it once so the thermal paste between the heatsink and CPU is at its best. If it uses push pins (I've never used an AMD stock heatsink before), then push them in a X pattern (top left first, then bottom right, then top right, etc) for even pressure. Everything else is pretty straight forward. Hardest part is tidying up all the cables at the end.

Also, clean your hands before starting, and make sure to touch something metallic to ground any static energy from your hands. There are many stories about static shocks killing computer parts, although I've not had it happen to me yet (maybe because I always start by grounding myself).

For specific advice, feel free to ask specific questions.

ichidansan likes this.
  10. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

GBAtemp Patron
    pwsincd is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    i built several pc's over 10 yrs ago , and recently attempted again , in the end i plumped for a pre asembled mobo , mem and cpu/fan bundle , that actually came in much cheaper than the parts seperately , and on top of that i get cover. Just a thought. Still leaving me to install case psu , gfx , hdds / optical drives and the OS and configure it .. still felt like i built my own system .

11. ichidansan
    OP

Feb 10, 2010
    United States
    as for grounding, do i need to have one of the wrist bands? i've installed my current gpu and ram with out it, and things work fine, but should i chance it with a full build? also bios are with the mother board already or do i have to get all that as well?

12. CompassNorth

CompassNorth Denko (´・ω・`)

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    You don't need to. Just touch the metal part of the case every few seconds.
    Also you can get a Radeon R9 280 for $30 more dollars which is a great price considering the perfomance.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=167&sort=a8

13. ichidansan
    OP

Feb 10, 2010
    United States
    ok, and thanks for the tip, though things have already been ordered lol

oh yea, any ad-on suggestions is appreciated as well. going to try and find a 22in monitor for it too.