First thing you ever pirated

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the first thing I copied was Duke Nukem 3D. I had lost the cd and one day I thought: I WANT TO PLAY IT AGAIN!!!!!!
searched the internet for 3-4 hours before finding a copy (still needed dosbox) but it ran XD

ImpulsE69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SickPuppy said:
The first games I ever pirated were for my Atari 800XL. I had this thing called a Super Cart that would allow me to copy game cartridges to disc, but I would need the Super Cart inserted into the Atari to play the copied game. I also use to copy games that were on 5.25 floppy disc, I remember making bad sectors on the disc while writing the image to the blank disc, put a piece of tape on the disc and give a pull on the tape when the bad sector was writing.

This must have been some 25 years ago.

Haha, I did this too...and copying the damn tapes to other tapes or off onto disk...wow I hated those things. I could never get them to line up right. Oh the memories....

I suppose my first pirating would have been when I was in elementary all those years ago and copying music tapes.

ImpulsE69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

OMG, I never saw this... Funny...they've been singing the same song for decades, and yet, the gaming industry has had some of the most record profits it's ever had in the last few years.
More than any movies.

Reminds me of Exxon...too bad you can't pirate gasoline....

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
WildWon said:
XWolf said:
WildWon said:
Heh. I had copied my dads copies of Thexder, Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy (txt adventure) and Gauntlet back in the early 80's, he owned em... i just did it cause i could. (5 1/4 floppies were great)

Probably copying tapes. Can't tell you what it was, specifically
tongue.gif

HHGTTG was awesome!

That and Elite... Mmmmm
biggrin.gif

Haha wasn't it so much fun! Glad someone else remembers it so clearly
wink.gif

>Look
It's pitch black.

Wanna relive those memories?
There's a java version of the text adventure Right HERE!
smile.gif

You have to go to the flash version (same game, w/ graphics, haven't played it yet, but i'm going to soon) and grab the serial number there... it's all explained on the link i put. Have fun
smile.gif
)
I like that game too, I've played the java version a lot
biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Flex_S @ Feb 22 2010, 11:54 PM)
The first thing I ever pirated was some game in the mid 90s. (I can't remember what game it was.)
I copied the floppy.
Did you watch that after seeing 8 out of 10 Cats?

Stiff

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edhel said:
Some games for the commodore 64. So long ago I can't remember what they were.

HAHA, me too! Most of them were knock offs of some classic arcade game(munchman instead of pac-man). I used to buy boxes of 5.25 floppies, notch the flip side and copy every game from every C64 gamer I could find. I had stacks and traded them like bubble gum cards.

I feel so old....

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well,a verrrrrrrrrry loooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago(i was 3-4), I helped my uncle pirate a bunch of PS1 games,i pirated at a very young age,I thought it was fun to get things for free,but it was a little annoying going through all of the steps my uncle told me to burn them(note that I was 3-4)

kingsanto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dig Dug and Jungle Hunt for the Apple II in 1985. I was in elementary school, but had a computer class at the high school that summer. For the cost of a 5.25" floppy, you could get any game they had. And so it began.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
kingsanto said:
Dig Dug and Jungle Hunt for the Apple II in 1985. I was in elementary school, but had a computer class at the high school that summer. For the cost of a 5.25" floppy, you could get any game they had. And so it began.

That's pretty neat! You don't hear about stories dating back to the 80's about piracy, though it was definitely around back then.

I myself started with simple music downloads in the in the 90's (Well... I really took off in 2000... With Napster, it was so easy a nine year-old could do it).

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kingsanto said:

I totally woulda copied Oregon Trail and Odell Lake back in elementary school... If I had floppies and an Apple II at home...

kingsanto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I got Oregon Trail too. I was pretty disappointed when I copied Karateka and found out that it wouldn't work on my Apple IIc. I didn't get to play it at home until years later, when I got an emulator that could play it on a PC.

kicknhorse

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mine I beleive was a PS1, I didn't do it myself, but someone played around with it for me so you could get games from the internet.

If it was not that, it was a VHS (like many members here) or a song from the internet. It would have been something like Morpheous or audio galaxy or somewhere. I really think is was my PS1 though.

Kwartel

The fairest in all the land
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well... because downloading music and movies is legal in Holland, my first is GTA:VC 5 years ago. I was really nervous when I did...
tongue.gif
Right now I pir8 everything.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Jesus. The first time I did had to be back around 2000 (when I was 8, haha).

I BELIEVE it was Heroes of Might and Magic III.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @The Real Jdbye, I dont have the other 3 wives