First serious attempt at art

jt_1258

Ella
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never did quite get to finishing it but I think I'm actually just gonna start over after seeing how shitty it's turned out so far. I suppose it came out well for my first serious attempt at art. But I am curious what others have to say about this ms paint looking crap.
Capture.PNG

TheTechGenius

</Web Dev>
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looks a hell of a lot better then most people's first time drawing something on a computer. lol.

I've been using Photoshop for web design for years, and I don't think I could even draw a head that good in Photoshop. lol.

Not without the proper hardware anyway, such as a tablet or touch screen device with a very precise touch screen to draw.

tvoretz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This was done with a mouse, right? If so, I'm genuinely impressed; a mouse is hard to work with for art, and like the TheTechGenius said, most people's first efforts are noticeably worse than that.

Anyway, you might have an easier time achieving clean/not wobbly lines with a higher resolution drawing and a low end graphics tablet, like this one. Most people recommend Wacom, but Huion (Monoprice) is cheaper and I'm happy with mine.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It's a good first try! Keep it up!

I have one tip that I used a lot when I drew some. Zoom in draw one line, hit ctrl-Z to undo it, and draw it again, and again, and again, until you're satisfied. Then do the same for the next line.

Another tip is not to look where your cursor is *now*, but the "goal" (where the line ends). It makes it easier to get a nice and steady line. :)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Question.
Did you do some kind of quasi tracing for that?
If so maybe consider going for some of the more traditional drawing techniques of draw a head, place eyes (and ears and mouth and nose), possibly use some construction lines/dots and similar such things. You can still do your own rendition of a given image (figure out the relative placements of a given feature, ratios of height to width, number of sections of hair per whatever...). You have doubtless seen the picture known as Vitruvian Man (the dude with four arms and legs inside a square and circle), such a thing is literally a guide to drawing a properly proportioned human body, and similar things exist for most aspects of the body.

It was a udraw tablet for the wii I've been using >.<
I can't hold a steady hand for the life of me either
Something you will hear when people are saying they can't draw is "I can't even draw a straight line" despite that actually being a real feat. In this case though if you want curves don't try to do it by eye and moving the pen when you want it to be like a CNC robot but hold the pen solid and pivot either on your elbow or with your waist. Eventually you may change to pivoting at your wrist or your knuckles but that is harder to do at first.

TheTechGenius

</Web Dev>
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, GBATemp has one of the best communities of people.

No one has bashed the OP, no one has said anything negative, or anything like that. Only constructive feedback, tips, and advice.

That is awesome. This is the reason why I keep coming back to GBATemp to post.

There have been a very few bad apples, but that cannot be helped with a major site like this. The majority of GBATemp users are just awesome.

Last edited by TheTechGenius,

jt_1258

Ella
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, GBATemp has one of the best communities of people.

No one has bashed the OP, no one has said anything negative, or anything like that. Only constructive feedback, tips, and advice.

That is awesome. This is the reason why I keep coming back to GBATemp to post.

There have been a very few bad apples, but that cannot be helped with a major site like this. The majority of GBATemp users are just awesome.
I feel a tad bit of sarcasm for some reason from that post with it feeling a little exadurated but ya, definitely seems like a good batch of apples this time around. Though I feel like the bashing was done already with me bashing my own attempt in the op itself soo I didn't leave much I guess.

TheTechGenius

</Web Dev>
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel a tad bit of sarcasm for some reason from that post with it feeling a little exadurated but ya, definitely seems like a good batch of apples this time around. Though I feel like the bashing was done already with me bashing my own attempt in the op itself soo I didn't leave much I guess.
Actually there was no sarcasm involved when i posted that comment. If it seemed like there was, I apologize for that. That was not my intention at all, not even a little bit.

I've been posting a lot on GBATemp, and there is not much bashing or much negativity, not much that I have seen anyway. But I'm mostly involved in the WiiU section of GBATemp.

Again, I'm sorry if my post came off as a bit of sarcasm. That honestly wasn't my intention at all.

YamiZee

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Drawing the eyes way too small. You are using a reference, but making it bigger when actually drawing, so it's harder because you need to consistently do it for all the other parts. Also notice how the eyes are actually only barely above the nose but yours are much higher than that. The scale and positioning of the eyes is really the biggest thing you need to work on. Bigger and lower
Also the blushes in reference are at nose height. To replicate you gotta pay close attention to stuff like that.

jt_1258

Ella
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Drawing the eyes way too small. You are using a reference, but making it bigger when actually drawing, so it's harder because you need to consistently do it for all the other parts. Also notice how the eyes are actually only barely above the nose but yours are much higher than that. The scale and positioning of the eyes is really the biggest thing you need to work on. Bigger and lower
Also the blushes in reference are at Bose height. To replicate you gotta pay close attention to stuff like that.
I may never draw people but I think it just may be natural habit with how an actual person and not a cute af anime girl looks

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Le youtube face.