Hacking first post, trying to learn about switch

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
i know, i just wasn't sure if the CFW could also store NSP files at the same time, or they required a different kind of format and i would have to load CFW, then reformat to store games.

The .NSP files are stored in the SD card. Then you have to use an app to actually install them onto the system's memory or the SD card. Think of the .NSP files as the game's installer, like on PC

SmoothNobody

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
i completely typed that last post wrong and you responded before i could edit. :wacko:

i know NSP are stored on the SD. what i'm trying to figure out is if the SD card has been formatted to load CFW, can i also store NSP on it at the same time, or do they require different file systems.

Ashura66

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
i completely typed that last post wrong and you responded before i could edit. :wacko:

i know NSP are stored on the SD. what i'm trying to figure out is if the SD card has been formatted to load CFW, can i also store NSP on it at the same time, or do they require different file systems.

Keep in mind that some .NSP files are larger than 4 GB. As such, you'l only be able to place them in the SD card IF it's formatted to EXFAT. For the CFW itself the formatting doesn't matter

Reactions: SmoothNobody

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
i know, i just wasn't sure if the SD is formatted for CFW use if could also store NSP files at the same time, or they required a different kind of format and i would have to load CFW, then reformat to store games.
You can use the same format for CFW or games...Fat32 or Exfat, Fat32 won’t allow NSP bigger than 4go (as they can’t be splitted , Xci can) Exfat will need you to install the Exfat update on your switch. The « small » issue with Exfat, is that it corrupts sometimes with hombrews...

For the dongle it’s up to you..but what is sure, is that you will need a « portable » way of sending payloads when you don’t have access to a computer

Last edited by Maupiti,
Reactions: SmoothNobody

SmoothNobody

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
beautiful, now i know i won't need a large SD for games and a small SD for CFW. :grog:

when using CFW, can i play NSP files stored on the consoles internal memory?

Last edited by SmoothNobody,

Maupiti

Hacking is so « Nice »
Trophies
XP
Country
France
when using CFW, can i play NSP files stored on the consoles internal memory?
Yes, but I will eventually recommend only for « small NSP », as the Nand of the switch is not that big, but true that this way you can avoid possible corruption with Exfat SD.
Or use an Exfat and FAT 32 cards

SmoothNobody

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
finally got my jig and got reinx installed. thanks for the help guys.

EDIT

once the console is running reinx, can i remove the SD card, or does it have to stay plugged in?
how do i uninstall games?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
finally got my jig and got reinx installed. thanks for the help guys.

EDIT

once the console is running reinx, can i remove the SD card, or does it have to stay plugged in?
how do i uninstall games?
You can only remove the SD card while in RCM or if the console is off; removing the SD card while the console is on or in sleep mode will cause it to restart. Also the console has the innate ability to uninstall games whether legal or not.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what does this mean exactly? i installed a game through tinfoil then deleted the game from the SD card and the game was still displayed on the dashboard and playable.
The console has a "Data Mangement" feature under System Settings. You can also press + on the icon to bring up a list of actions one of which is removing the title.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if i deleted the nsp from the sd card, how is the game still playable?
Oh you seem confused. The .NSP file is copied and pasted onto your SD card into the Nintendo folder as a bunch of .NCA files (.NSP is just a container of .NCA files and some other junk, think a .zip or .rar). The .NSP file on your SD card is not what you use to launch the game; its only used to install it.

SmoothNobody

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
ya, definitely not familiar with how everything works yet.

once the nca is installed, can i delete the nsp?

do i have to uninstall games through the switch, or can i just delete the nca files on the SD card?

SmoothNobody

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
i started working on another switch with firmware 5.1. when i insert a clean SD card it throws up a message saying a system update is required to use this memory card. my other switch never did this. why am i getting this message?

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't mind spending money then SX OS is the way to go. If you prefer a free alternative that takes a few extra steps to get working then you have ReiNX( https://gbatemp.net/threads/official-reinx-thread.512203/ ) or RajNX( https://gbatemp.net/threads/rajnx-c...free-starter-pack-for-nintendo-switch.513785/ ). Whichever you choose, as you already know, online is a no go. If you want to just play backups and nothing else then either Rei or Raj got you covered. I personally use ReiNX. You also need to read up on how to enter RCM, about jigs, about all that since thre are different methods
only interested in free options

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
i started working on another switch with firmware 5.1. when i insert a clean SD card it throws up a message saying a system update is required to use this memory card. my other switch never did this. why am i getting this message?
The SD card has the exFAT file system and a card with such file system has never been used with that console.

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes. Use ChoiDujourNX, load whatever firmware you want, even your current version and select the with ExFat option.

SmoothNobody

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
found ChoiDujourNX but not sure how to get the 5.1 exfat update.

i believe i read somewhere when you are not trying to upgrade or downgrade the firmware and you only want exfat support ChoiDujourNX will not install the whole firmware only the exfat update. is this accurate?

anybody know a good tutorial i can read?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"