First ever kernel panic...

kernelPANIC

Trophies
Website
www.kanjiswipe.com
XP
Country
Japan
I just had my first kernel panic in os x. You know the one where they give you the power button and saying to restart the mac. Well yeah. I wasn't doing anything besides browsing the internet. Anything I should be worried about ?

Baby, this time I went easy on you. Next time I won't be so nice.

Joking aside, I know the feeling, (hence my GBATemp tag, which I use in a couple other places whenever is not taken), the first time it happens you just think it's like one of those lovely blue screens of death that windows has, but it can be a one time thing or a more serious issue. The real problem is that a Kernel Panic error only shows for certain and grave reasons and it can easily corrupt your system (if the message keeps reappearing, you're in for trouble). In my case, I have a G4 iMac, the ones with half a basketball for CPU, and I got one of those lovely Kernel Panic errors. At first the messages appeared 1 hour after I booted the computer. After that, the time intervals kept getting shorter up to the point where it couldn't get passed the gray screen that appears when you turn on a mac. It was the logic board (a motherboard in PC terms), which just had to fail on me one month after the original warranty of the iMac expired (they sell those Apple care packages for a reason). If I remember correctly, the repair was somewhere around 300-400 Euros.
I just hope your Kernel Panic error is not related with hardware problems.

Good luck.

E2EKIEL

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is not a PC vs Mac thread. Please make a note of it!

On topic:
What type of Mac are you using ZeWarrior? Any hardware changes recently? USB cards? RAM? HD?
Has it happened more than just once?
If you can get this far, make another user account on the machine and see if you get panics in that account.

As far as being worried goes, any glitch is a nice reminder to back up your important files.
lecture.gif

Dude, you really sound like the Applecare Helpdesk. I can talk about it, I'm working there

You're totally right. first thing to know is what kind of mac you have zewarrior. there is a known issue connecting one of the the macbook models to a 3rd party wireless network while the mac isn't connected with the power adapter, the only solution at this moment is just to use it with the power adapter.

besides of that, I advice you to remove temporarly all USB peripherics, check your HDD with disk utility or with the FSCK command, check your RAM modules running an apple hardware test in extended mode, reset PRAM and SMC (PMU or SMU for older macs), remove all startup items from /library/startup items/, try another admin user, and if still nothing found archive and install. if after that you still have kernel panics, better go to a service provider

martin88

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So kernel panic is like a blue screen of death for Macs?

I thought Macs are more stable than Windows...guess not.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't get this picture. I have a good degree of experience with all three and it's Linux that requires the most work to set up and run and it's only useful as a dev environment. Even then it's a bitch getting new shit working. I fin Ubuntu annoying in that you have to type in your password all the time.
XP hasn't been that high-maintenance for me.
Fairly good representation of newer OSXs though.

kernelPANIC

Trophies
Website
www.kanjiswipe.com
XP
Country
Japan
So kernel panic is like a blue screen of death for Macs?

I thought Macs are more stable than Windows...guess not.

Well, sort of.
Kernel Panic errors can occur on PCs running UNIX (like Linux) as well. In MY experience macs are slightly more stable than Windows based PCs, but that's only in my experience (I've been working with both platforms for over 10 years. I'll always use both.)
Check out the wikipedia for more info.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
This is not a PC vs Mac thread. Please make a note of it!

On topic:
What type of Mac are you using ZeWarrior? Any hardware changes recently? USB cards? RAM? HD?
Has it happened more than just once?
If you can get this far, make another user account on the machine and see if you get panics in that account.

As far as being worried goes, any glitch is a nice reminder to back up your important files.
lecture.gif

I reinstalled OS X because the file system got corrupted. Before I had upgraded the RAM so It might be that, I think I'll run memtest over night.

xbandaidx

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm my mac is running fine. It's been god knows how long since I seen a kernal panic screen. I actually don't think I remember it or what I was doing at the time.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Last time I was troubled with 'em was when my really really cheap USB card stopped playing nice with my G4 MDD. Changed the card, panics stopped.

Don't forget to back up Ze... really.

Strokemouth

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So have you had any other kernel panics since this one? You should be able to get an idea of what was going on at the time of the panic by checking the log that gets created when you first get the KP. Go to Applications, then Utilities and open Console. On the left, expand the folder called /Library/Logs and select the file named panic.log. This will give you information on modules that were loaded during the time of the panic and might point you in the right direction.

I had a similar problem a while back where a certain version of APE/Shapeshifter was causing random KP's.

Strokemouth

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't worry too much about it then. You can still check that panic.log in the console if you're bored though.

And save your pennies and get ready for Leopard next week! That'll make backups much easier for you.

D

Deleted User

In Mac OS X 10.2 or before, a simple way for a kernel panic to happen :
a) Open a Terminal
b) type
> mkdir foo
> cd foo
> mkdir foo
> mv foo ../foo
c) Profit

It is what happens when you want to recode the wheel and you suck at it. Hopefully apple learned from this, and Leopard is really cool.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bidenomics
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious