Firmware Spoofing via Wi-Fi?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by drfsupercenter, Sep 26, 2013.

1. drfsupercenter
    OP

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    Per my post here:
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/anyway-to-get-netflix-on-4-5.355128/

I thought I'd make a thread about this.

Anyone thought to try such a thing, or even know if it's doable? It would be interesting to see, at least, so that people can go on the eShop and download free programs like Netflix while still being able to use the Gateway.

2. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    3DS is not hacked so no is the answer.
    And i don't think that someone did that on the Vita.

3. drfsupercenter
    OP

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    Um, what

This has nothing to do with hacking the system itself.

What you do is run an application on your computer that sniffs network traffic, and have it modify what's being sent to/from Nintendo's servers. So for example if the eShop app sends a web request with "firmware 4.5" in it, we'd just change that to 6.3 or whatever. Obviously it's not that simple, but that's the basic idea.

And yes, it was definitely done for the Vita, I did it myself.
    http://www.psvita-scene.net/psvita/bypass-forced-firmware-update-on-ps-vita/

You basically just use your computer as a proxy server, and connect through that.

4. back25

back25 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2012
    Shit is probably encrypted

Rydian likes this.
  5. RachelB

RachelB GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    United States
    Yes they did. The ps3 too.

6. GamerzHell9137

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina

U can only play illegal games for now, that's all.
    I don't call that hacked.

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    You can launch homebrew with the same exploit the Gateway uses which has been showcased numerous times already - it's just that there are no libraries coders could use to make said homebrew and without those it's just a massive chore that hardly anyone wants to put up with. The 3DS, for all intents and purposes, is hacked - so much so that coders have kernel-level access.

8. RachelB

RachelB GBAtemp Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    United States
    I was responded the second half of your post, but this is also not true. The 3ds is definitely hacked. Just because you can't run homebrew on it doesn't mean it's not hacked.

9. drfsupercenter
    OP

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    Yeah, the problem with the 3DS is that all the people who have figured out exploits don't want to share them. It makes me really angry, since look at the Wii - you had people like Waninkoko figure this stuff out and share with everyone, even if he left the scene after a while, others were able to build on his programs.

But like I said: this has nothing to do with the console itself. You use your computer as a proxy and modify the packets so Nintendo thinks you're using updated firmware. I just thought I'd ask if anyone's tried snooping the packets to see if there's a way to spoof it.

10. 777aaron

777aaron Member

Newcomer
    Dec 5, 2010
    United States

Totally agree, have seen the same thing happen in the satellite hacking community or so-callled FTA, first it starts out as a great hobby and everybody is jtagjing and dumping and sharing everything and you actually feel like part of a community, then eventually the money takes over and nobody wants to share anything. I see the same pattern heading towards the 3ds considering how open the ds community (and wii as you pointed out) was Vs. now.