Firmware Check

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by cagycee, Apr 4, 2018.

?
  1. 1.0.0+

7.7%
  2. 2.0.0+

6.7%
  3. 3.0.0+

23.2%
  4. 4.0.0+

44.8%
  5. 5.0.0+

17.5%
  1. cagycee
    OP

cagycee Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 2, 2018
    United States
    So basically I can no longer play online on Splatoon 2 due to me still being firmware 4.1.0. I want to know where everyone is at on their switch. So with honest answers, what firmware of the Nintendo Switch are you currently on? This will probably help me decide rather if I should update.

2. Kipz

Kipz Banned

Banned
    Jan 29, 2018
    United States
    Updating has very few disadvantages hacking wise now, so when i get my switch it'll be on latest.

3. Xandroz

Xandroz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 19, 2018
    Egypt
    1.0.0 and still hanging there :D

4. aerios169

aerios169 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    Mexico
    well tooo long time ago i use to have a psp, and i couldnt wait to play demos i were on 2.7, so i updapte it to 2.8 . i had to wait 1 years to hack it. Just wait a litte bit belive is really anoying to wait alot.

5. jjbredesen

jjbredesen Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    jjbredesen is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 16, 2018
    Norway
    Hyrule
    4.1.0 for me seems to be the sweetspot, most games work and HB/CFW will be less complicated than 5.0+

SleepingGuru likes this.
  6. cagycee
    OP

cagycee Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 2, 2018
    United States
    Shoooot. I can still play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe so Ima just wait before updating.

7. CeeDee

CeeDee Doing The Best I Can

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    Newest. Not in any rush to pirate games, got plenty of other devices to emulate on, and you know the homebrew community'll be shit here too if you look at 3DS and Wii U. Nearly nobody made anything amazing for either.

cagycee likes this.
  8. leafeon34

leafeon34 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 30, 2014
    Greece
    Elysium
    At this point in time it seems like you will probably be able to install CFW on the latest firmware in a few months time, but CFW will come out fastest if you're on FW 1.0 and CFW will be more complicated to install if you're on FW 5.0+. Keep in mind, the higher your FW version the lower the chance that you'll be able to install CFW.

If you want to enjoy your Switch to the fullest right now along with the possibility of CFW in the future then go ahead and update.
    If you'd prefer to have guaranteed CFW which is easy to install then don't update beyond 4.1.
    If you have a 1.0 Switch and would like to have CFW ASAP then don't update.

Kipz likes this.
  9. Megakuma

Megakuma Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2018
    United States
    Down there a bit
    3.0.0 I stayed there ever since I was told

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  10. Kipz

Kipz Banned

Banned
    Jan 29, 2018
    United States
    Just so you know, it was announced that the major CFW (atmosphere) is coming out this summer for all versions at the same time, and will not require hardware mods / specific game for any FW, however will be "slightly more complicated" to install on anything over 4.1.

11. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    Those threads are all over the place, you could check other threads and see what FW most here are at...

Quantumcat likes this.
  12. Salazar-DE

Salazar-DE Member

Newcomer
    Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
  13. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    You can mess around with high level stuff now, if you want. You'll have to wait for low level code until CFW releases, obviously, but there's homebrew you can play with currently

14. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    Yep I voted on your thread 3.02... It's pointless lot of ppl always creating the same thing over and over like this thread or others asking if they should update...

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  15. Nincompoopdo

Nincompoopdo GBAtemp Regular

May 20, 2017
    United States
    What if no CFW appear a few months from now? People will be wasting their Switch.

16. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I will always update to keep playing Splatoon. I'm a huge pro-piracy advocate, and even I don't give a shit about piracy on the Switch yet. But just like I predicted with the 3DS, the new Pokemon for the system will really push hackers, because people REALLY enjoy hacking Pokemon games. (For various reasons). And I predicted that the 3DS would be hacked after X and Y dropped, and sure enough, it happened. I'm 100% sure it will happen again once Pokemon rolls around.

17. BL4Z3D247

BL4Z3D247 GBAtemp Stoner

Oct 22, 2008
    United States
    I'm so high, I don't even know!
    I disagree with this, well partly. There were some pretty awesome things done for the 3DS which no one ever thought would be a possibility. An example would be the SNES9x for O3DS by bubble2k16. Definitely agree about the scene being shit though(at least the 3DS scene, I skipped out on the Wii U but I'll take your word on that).

Anyway, I'm still on 1.0.0, playing my "000" games and Golf, patiently waiting for Atmosphere-NX to drop.

18. CeeDee

CeeDee Doing The Best I Can

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    SNES9x is awesome, no doubt, but it is just an emulator. 3DS mostly had system tools (eg software installers/cheat tools/homebrew installer tools/etc) and emulators homebrew wise, not much interesting in original homebrew. Wii U was mostly the same, with much less emulators. The main focus for the 3DS/Wii U scene really went towards getting the system hacked in the first place, which most people just used for piracy and stuff. Neither are flourishing with any cool homebrew ala DS/Wii were.

19. B4rtj4h

B4rtj4h Gaming addict #2 and some

Apr 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    Bikini Bottom
    Splatoon 2 > hacks...

I really like the home-brew scene.... but I can't just stop playing.

Jayro likes this.
  20. Zyvyn

Zyvyn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 9, 2017
    United States
    most people are on 4.1 or lower it seems

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice