Firewall alerts

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you use a router your automatically protected by a firewall. The windows firewall is too basic for me. I use Sygate and have done for a while, I only use a firewall with my router to block information being sent.

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
good tips!
biggrin.gif
AVG owns, tried some of the mentioned ones before and some are good some are technical. I need to get some more things because my AVG expires in 8 days!!!

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a firewalled router, does that help?
And don't viruses run as a file and then you see them when u do Ctrl+Alt+Del?
I always check that and I've never seen anything weird, checked it on www.tasklist.org etc.

Q~

Sadly, that's not the way it works. While simple viruses might show up there, anything advanced will know how to hide itself.

We're talking about 2 things now:

Viruses/Worms

Exploits over the network

For the first issue, only a antivirus application will help, or if you're 100% sure nothing dangerous is ever executed (you'll never be).
For the latter your router does help, and this is what the thread starter was talking about. If you configured port-forwarding on your router, keep the ports required to a absolute minimum! Otherwise you circumvent the protection your router is giving you.

Ok, here's the interesting stuff. You can run an online portscan from a trusted source. Be warned that this can give you serious (temporary) issues while the scan is running. I will not give you a direct link to such a service, as you can easily google for one and decide whom you trust to do so.
This will show you which ports might be an issue and can be connected to directly from the internet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: because I already got burned out with breath of the wild, which for the most part is essentially...