Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So what's the advantages of using this over firefox 2? I used it for a few minutes and didn't really see an advantage, plus I hated that new address bar thing, and then went back to FF2 where all of my addons work.

However if you can outline some advantages that require me to take another looks at FF3, I'll try it again. I still have it installed and such.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mewgia said:
So what's the advantages of using this over firefox 2? I used it for a few minutes and didn't really see an advantage, plus I hated that new address bar thing, and then went back to FF2 where all of my addons work.

However if you can outline some advantages that require me to take another looks at FF3, I'll try it again. I still have it installed and such.

If you don't like the feature changes from 2 to 3, then don't use 3. Nobody really cares what you use ultimately. I personally like the new address bar features. I like the features implemented in the bookmark menu in RC1 that weren't there in Beta5. Plugins like flash and other media seem more stable with each release in Linux and Mac (haven't used Windows since version 3 came out, so no point of comparison).

The lack of google toolbar is a downside, but otherwise there aren't any add-ons that I used to use that don't work or have analogous versions that do work. 3 seems to work a little better on my much lower end office computer running Mac than version 2, but on my home computer there was nothing really sluggish about version 2. In Linux they're both screaming fast so nothing noticeably different for me.

matriculated

Trophies
Website
www.nubecoder.com
XP
Country
Canada
Mewgia said:

For me, I really like the page zoom (scales the entire page instead of only text in FF2) and the smaller memory footprint.

Saylient_Dreams

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using FF3 seriously since b5, when rc1 came out it seem much more less stable. Rc2 however seems pretty stable, doesn't crash on my a bazillion times like rc1 did (b5 hardly crashed like rc2). Speed of FF3 I think is noticeable if you're looking for it, same with startup of the program. Apparently this also uses less memory than FF2, and is supposedly the fastest browser out there for rendering web pages with javascript I believe. If you don't like the new buttons, and want a smaller interface, switch the icons to small icons in the settings. Also if you want your add-ons to work you can do some about:config setting, and set it up to bypass add-on checks. So far even add-ons that aren't "compatible" work well from what I can tell. I'm enjoying it so far.

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hooya said:
Mewgia said:

If you don't like the feature changes from 2 to 3, then don't use 3. Nobody really cares what you use ultimately. I personally like the new address bar features. I like the features implemented in the bookmark menu in RC1 that weren't there in Beta5. Plugins like flash and other media seem more stable with each release in Linux and Mac (haven't used Windows since version 3 came out, so no point of comparison).

The lack of google toolbar is a downside, but otherwise there aren't any add-ons that I used to use that don't work or have analogous versions that do work. 3 seems to work a little better on my much lower end office computer running Mac than version 2, but on my home computer there was nothing really sluggish about version 2. In Linux they're both screaming fast so nothing noticeably different for me.

Alright. I was just making sure there wasn't anything awesome that I missed in my 5-minute test of it.
I have 4GBs of ram on this computer so memory usage generally isn't a problem, though I probably will install it just for that on my laptop.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I tried RC1 on linux and the default font size were bigger than FF2.
My website menu had the text out of the place it should be.

Does it does this on Windows too ?
I don't want to test it on windows yet, because it's said on mozilla website that FF3 will install ontop of FF2 and it will be unstable to go back to FF2 by reinstalling ontop.

Is there a way to install FF3 on another profile whithout touching FF2 profile and using both in the same time ? (saving the FF2 profile could do the job, right ?)

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I run my Firefox off of my Sandisk Micro Cruiser, so I'm waiting till it gets the access to FF3.

I stopped allowing web browsers on my computer a while back.

IE? what IE?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F