What does firefox need to do to compete?

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
One point firefox was the new cool kids on the block. which everyone was rooting for. but now its just another web browser. which seems to be losing market share every month.

But the real reason i want firefox to gian market share is not becuase i dont like chrome or anything is because of chrome's rendering engine called blink. with blink now in almost all the other web browsers it gives google huge amount of power over the web. yes apple has its own rendering engine called webkit. but thats no different from Google in that another big tech company having control over the web. even microsoft is now using the blink rendering engine with its Edge web browser.

and the fucked up part is that firefox gets like 90% of its income from Google.

so what does firefox need to do to compete?

Reactions: orangy57 and nxwing

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hookers and Blackjack

I don't know, stop depending on Google?
Extensions?
Maybe learn from DuckDuckGo?

A big step would be to make it easier to manage with group policy on corporate networks. As of now, we give our end users a choice of Chrome and Edge and that really isn't a choice.

But isn't that the goal of both Google and Microsoft? Get revenue from hug3 corps that needs "muh private security!"
While Firefox is more aimed at regular internet users.
Why make Firefox take the same corporative and greedy route of Google and Microsoft?

Reactions: Flame

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Firefox is number one for me because I believe there are more setting that can be used to protect your privacy.
Although Chrom(ium) and Firefox are both opensource, so there are derivatives that have lots of privacy features added / non-features removed.

We all know that just because something is popular (Windows, Chrome) - it doesn't mean it's the best.
But to actually answer, how can Firefox become the most popular? I guess advertising more.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
A big step would be to make it easier to manage with group policy on corporate networks. As of now, we give our end users a choice of Chrome and Edge and that really isn't a choice.

thats a good point. well loads of goverment webistes still use internet explorer. but when they have monopoly its hard to win or change that.

Hookers and Blackjack

Extensions?

But isn't that the goal of both Google and Microsoft? Get revenue from hug3 corps that needs "muh private security!"
Why make Firefox take the same corporative and greedy route of Google and Microsoft?

well money makes the world go round and google has loads of money.

Firefox is number one for me because I believe there are more setting that can be used to protect your privacy.
Although Chrom(ium) and Firefox are both opensource, so there are derivatives that have lots of privacy features added / non-features removed.

We all know that just because something is popular (Windows, Chrome) - it doesn't mean it's the best.
But to actually answer, how can Firefox become the most popular? I guess advertising more.

maybe they can advertise on google?

Reactions: cearp

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hookers and Blackjack

Extensions?
I remember reading a while back that DuckDuckGo is still dependent on Google and is not as private as they advertise, but searching on DuckDuckGo, I couldn't find the article again. Weird.
They wouldn't have to change their rendering engine to add group policy support.

Reactions: Marc_LFD and Flame

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
Firefox is still awesome, but I hate its newer UI and have to use a third-party "fix" to restore the better older UI.

I don't think it needs to do anything different to compete except for to continue standing by its morals (which already have Microsoft and Google beat) of allowing users to be in greater control of tracking, ad blocking, etc, and advertising better that it is the browser to use if you care about your privacy.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One point firefox was the new cool kids on the block. which everyone was rooting for. but now its just another web browser. which seems to be losing market share every month.

But the real reason i want firefox to gian market share is not becuase i dont like chrome or anything is because of chrome's rendering engine called blink. with blink now in almost all the other web browsers it gives google huge amount of power over the web. yes apple has its own rendering engine called webkit. but thats no different from Google in that another big tech company having control over the web. even microsoft is now using the blink rendering engine with its Edge web browser.

Firefox has had a rather big jump in user base in recent years. It is slowly getting up there. I was never one to use chrome to begin with.

Reactions: nxwing and Flame

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Firefox is great, but here are some of the things it can do better.

As someone stated earlier: make it more friendly with deployment and corporate networks.
Tying into the first point: Stop shipping firefox with their secure DNS option on by default. This actively circumvents any DNS based ad blocking or routes you have set on your local DNS, and that makes it a bad choice for corporate networks
One point that's already in their corner: continue to support adblockers properly while Chrome/Chromium slowly removes any use of Manifest V2
Lastly, stop pushing unneccesary services that nobody uses. Firefox View? Pocket?

as far as "competing" There's not much it can really do other than to continue to serve it's Niche crowd and continue to improve compatibility with websites. Blink is a massive force to be messed with, and it's not going anyway any time soon. Pretty much every other browser on the market right now uses the Blink/Chromium codebase, and sadly, for good reason because it's the primary engine that most websites support.

Firefox works well enough though, and I will continue to support them. Besides, I don't think Firefox will be going away any time soon as long as there are anti-google FOSS advocates. Sure Chromium is FOSS, but it's google's product, and look at what happened with Android; another FOSS project that's basically closed down like iOS at this point. (I know it's main codeset is still FOSS, but it's a very neutered experience to run pure Android without any of Google's proprietary addons)

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Firefox View? Pocket?

Yeah have problems with those kind of things too. like focus on your key goals of the company/foundation.

Also the mobile version is so lacking in so many apects too. i mean like safari is big in the market share not becuase of its Macbook's usage but because of so much people using mobiles to surf the net now. maybe U.S. and E.U. should looking into apple not allowing other rendering engine on the iOS platform. im sure they some anti-consumer practices happening there.

Even then when i used the android version last time. it was just slow and felt bloated.

Last edited by Flame,

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I don't know what Firefox should do. I started using it long long ago, when my old and weak PC was struggling with IE and Chrome. Now I know edge and Chrome are fast for low range PCs, but now I got used to Firefox. Privacy really is not a concern of mine, but I believe that will always be a market for very low-spec applications (like qbittorrent, 7zip, Rufus and so on) and it seems that Firefox is not exactly that anymore.

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah have problems with those kind of things too. like focus on your key goals of the company/foundation.

Also the mobile version is so lacking in so many apects too. i mean like safari is big in the market share not becuase of its Macbook's usage but because of so much people using mobiles to surf the net now. maybe U.S. and E.U. should looking into apple not allowing other rendering engine on the iOS platform. im sure they some anti-consumer practices happening there.

Even then when i used the android version last time. it was just slow and felt bloated.
Maybe at some point, Firefox wasn't good on Android, but I've been using it for about 2 years as my only browser (installed lineageOS and opted not to install chrome). I've had some issues with it like not opening up the maps app by default instead of opening up a maps link to maps, but that's a small issue. It runs fine for the most part, and doesn't seem any worse than chrome.
I do agree though that Apple only allowing Safari's version of webkit to be the only renderer on iOS is anticompetitive at best. That shouldn't happen at all.

I do believe even if they were allowed to use their own Quantum engine for iOS, I don't think it would help in that marketshare all that much. People would still gravitate towards Chrome largely, but I don't think any of this hurts Firefox's bottom line; they have a dedicated fanbase that will keep them alive.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went from Internet Explorer 6 to Firefox and stayed with it for many years, then switched to Chrome and thought it was a great browser (it is, I like using it), now I use Brave.

I'll admit the Brave Rewards was a nice incentive, but it having a built-in ad-blocker and sync is very helpful across multiple devices.

Will I ever go back to Firefox? Unlikely. It is a very good browser, obviously

Here's these stats:

1670318799-most-popular-browsers-in-2022.png

https://www.oberlo.co.uk/statistics/browser-market-share

Don't know how accurate this website is, although it makes sense Chrome is at the top and since Brave is a Chrome-based browser it's merged with it.

Am surprised that many use Safari unless it's on their iPhones and iPads? Who knows.

caipora

cheese eating lactose intolerant
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

It needs more spywares

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: