Gaming Firefox 3.0 RC2

Commander

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Can you disable the anoying new auto-complete, when you typed in a website address on FF2 you just get the usual small list with the website that matches what you typed but is the one you visit the most, for example if I typed in "gba" in FF2 it brings up GBATemp because its the website I visit the most that matches those 3 letters, while FF3 doesn't it brings up an oversized list of options some of them because it simple has GBA in the website title bar.

Is there a way to revert it to the old style?

~ Commander

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Firefox 3 is currently the best browser on the market currently when it comes to performance, this isn't a personal opinion either. From benchmarks I ran and from others I saw online, the memory footprint is so far the lowest of all the top browsers, even Opera. Mozilla seemed to have done a real good job fixing those memory leaks. Also Firefox seems to be a bit more responsive and load and diaplay pages faster as well as start up a bit faster, a definite plus from Firefox 2. Also with some further tweaking of the config, mainly to better fit your PC and internet connection, you can even speed up Firefox even more. By enabling pipelining, Firefox will use multiple pipes/connections for each page and download multiple things at one time, this goes for the main HTML, the images, CSS and Javascript files, ect. So the pages end up rendering faster,

At any rate, Firefox 3 is definably a step up from Firefox 2, I've been using it since the Alpha stages using the nightly builds. Oh and for all you web developers out ther,e you will drool over all the new features and goodies they added, and also the increased speed and performance with Javascript as well.

Oh, and since they switched over to using SQLite to store most of its data, Firefox has greatly enhanced the speed when it comes to Bookmarks and History. By default now, the history storage is 90 days with no negative impact on performance. Before, many people disabled it due to it slowling down the browser. (The same can be said for most other browsers like IE, Safar and such where the browser acts sluggish with large histories). Also now the URL bar auto searches your hsitory and booksmarks to autocomplete urls while matching against both the title and the URL.

Heres an unofficial changelog:
http://www.squarefree.com/burningedge/rele...-firefox-3.html

Commander

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
To be honest I have to disagree with you Narin the memory leaks are as bad as ever, I've had the browser open for little over a minute now and its already exceeding 150mb of RAM, I have 2 tabs open.
The history storage can be adjusted beyond or below 90 days.

Firefox 2 rarely exceeded 75mb after browsing for a couple of hours and an average of about 6 tabs.

If anyone wants to speed up Firefox a good bit type: about:config
In the filter section at the top enter: nglayout.initialpaint.delay
Change its value to 0.
~ Commander

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Commander said:
To be honest I have to disagree with you Narin the memory leaks are as bad as ever, I've had the browser open for little over a minute now and its already exceeding 150mb of RAM, I have 2 tabs open.

Firefox 2 rarely exceeded 75mb after browsing for a couple of hours and an average of about 6 tabs.

Change its value to 0.
~ Commander

It could be because of the extensions you're using. If you force extension which haven't been made for Firefox 3, you might get a few memory leaks.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Commander said:
I only run 2 extensions, Download Statusbar and Adblock Plus both of which are compatible with FF3.

~ Commander

Well there you go then. Most people complain that Adblock causes memory leaks.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Commander said:

Change its value to 0.
~ Commander

Well on a clean install of Firefox 3 with around 20 tabs open, I only used around 60-70 megs of RAM at one time. While not perfect, Firefox 3 has removed most of the memory leaks though this doesn't include the use of extensions which may include memory leaks of their own due to being made by third party developers.

QUOTE(Commander @ Jun 7 2008, 05:59 AM) I only run 2 extensions, Download Statusbar and Adblock Plus both of which are compatible with FF3.

~ Commander

I used those extensions myself and they have a habit of eating up memory after a while. AdBlock basically stores all its information and blocking rules to memory and poorly made filters can actually increase the time a page takes to load and increase memory usage.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
(Video) Download Helper seemed to have been using up about 30/40MB of memory
ohmy.gif

I'm using Adblock Plus and trying to keep to the minimum amount of filters to block a lot of ads but it's quite hard. I also use Stylish, I think it's one of the best extensions around (and I'm waiting for a Greasemonkey FF3 update too)

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
xJonny said:
ohmy.gif

I'm using Adblock Plus and trying to keep to the minimum amount of filters to block a lot of ads but it's quite hard. I also use Stylish, I think it's one of the best extensions around (and I'm waiting for a Greasemonkey FF3 update too)
GreaseMonkey works veryw ell on Firefox 3, I'm currently using it. Also AdBlock plus is great, just stay away from the AdBlock Filter.G filters. They can actually slow down the browser.

MystikEkoez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Narin said:
xJonny said:
ohmy.gif

GreaseMonkey works veryw ell on Firefox 3, I'm currently using it. Also AdBlock plus is great, just stay away from the AdBlock Filter.G filters. They can actually slow down the browser.
What kind of scripts are there for GreaseMonkey anyway? I just use two, one for DeviantArt and another for NicoNicoDouga.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Narin said:
xJonny said:
ohmy.gif

I'm using my own filters with wildcards and such, do you know any tips for optimum performance?

Oh and I disabled Download Helper and CS Lite because i don't need them often and they use a lot of memory.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
MystikEkoez said:
What kind of scripts are there for GreaseMonkey anyway? I just use two, one for DeviantArt and another for NicoNicoDouga.
Literally thousands. Check out their official script repository here http://userscripts.org/

http://easylist.adblockplus.org/

QUOTE(xJonny @ Jun 7 2008, 01:36 PM) I'm using my own filters with wildcards and such, do you know any tips for optimum performance?

Oh and I disabled Download Helper and CS Lite because i don't need them often and they use a lot of memory.
Basicly all you'll ever will need is EasyList and EasyElement, they have been optimized for AdBlock and work very well and block just about 99% of the ads out there. Check out http://easylist.adblockplus.org/ for more info. On the left side is links to auto-updating subscriptions for AdBlock,

1. Add Easylist
"the main adblocking subscription"

2. Add EasyElement
"the secondary subscription for removing text ads & leftover spaces"

3. Add Tracking Filter
"the optional subscription for for stats & analysis blocking"

Install the ABP Element Hiding Helper
from Mozilla's Add-on site. This is an add-on to ABP for easily removing page elements.

I also suggest getting ABP Element Hiding Helper as well, it makes adding element blocking rules a lot easier. So now you can easily block certain elements like frames, divs, tables and just about anything else you want with a simple click.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Narin said:
Basicly all you'll ever will need is EasyList and EasyElement, they have been optimized for AdBlock and work very well and block just about 99% of the ads out there. Check out http://easylist.adblockplus.org/ for more info. On the left side is links to auto-updating subscriptions for AdBlock,

I also suggest getting ABP Element Hiding Helper as well, it makes adding element blocking rules a lot easier. So now you can easily block certain elements like frames, divs, tables and just about anything else you want with a simple click.

Alright, I got EasyList and EasyElement and ABP Element Hiding Helper, it looks pretty good although I'm thinking some of the elements it blocks out are on websites I never visit and that the filters may be too ambiguous but I trust that it'll work perfectly. Thanks
smile.gif

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You know, maybe all the memory issues are because you guys have a bunch of add-ons. I just use AdBlock and that's it. Memory is always low and stable for me depending on what websites I'm browsing. Like I said before, online video=shitload of memory usage.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.